PDA

View Full Version : Best place to get my dash

VetteLT193
05-07-2008, 07:43 AM
I finally rounded up all the gauges I need for the Minx. Who has had good experiences with companies that make new dash panels?

I would like to box the gauges up and send them off and get back a dash complete with switches wired up.

I found a post a while back with Gcarter's dash but now I can't find it, and I know there are other companies I can get quotes from...

BUIZILLA
05-07-2008, 09:20 AM
Ultimate Marine... 305.633.3394

Alex Avila

gcarter
05-07-2008, 09:39 AM
I can't find my dash info either, but the company is;
Ulra Panel Marine
6891 NW 73rd Court
Miami, Fl 33166
USA
Tel: 305 888-7709
Fax: 305 888-7285
The contact person is Ivo Gomis and the cost was $400.00 wired up (four years ago).
What I did was to strip the fiberglas panel and taped some butcher paper to the fiberglas. Then I penciled the outline of the available space, also I marked the cutouts and steering locations. Next I layed out the gauge and switch locations I wanted and composed a letter w/any additional info I wanted them to know. I boxed up the gauges, and butcher paper and sent them on. They told me it would be about four weeks but it took about seven, but when I did get it, it was completely wired to terminal strips. It was beutifully done. I'm not sure anyone could beat their pricing.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26633&d=1168912887

VetteLT193
05-07-2008, 09:53 AM
Awesome... does anyone know if one place better than the other?

George, did your Minx come stock with the dash that short? Mine goes all the way to the left side of the boat... the junk collector is mounted into the black dash panel instead of like yours mounted right to the fiberglass.

Also, did you just bend the dash plate where the angle starts? Mine dash is flat by the wheel then bends. The stock dash is 2 panels... one the flat surface by the wheel, then a second after the bend all the way to the left side past the junk collector.

ky-donzi
05-07-2008, 10:03 AM
Nisongers.

http://www.nisongermarine.com/

mjw930
05-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Just be VERY specific about what you want. See THIS (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51862&highlight=dash) thread.

VetteLT193
05-07-2008, 10:44 AM
mjw, I was trying to find your thread too, thanks for the link.

I am surprised the panel was only $330 when they sell trim switch panels with only 2 rocker switches for $185. I wouldn't have even considered them based on their web site prices so thanks for the good info!

mjw930
05-07-2008, 11:37 AM
mjw, I was trying to find your thread too, thanks for the link.
I am surprised the panel was only $330 when they sell trim switch panels with only 2 rocker switches for $185. I wouldn't have even considered them based on their web site prices so thanks for the good info!

It was for the custom layout work. Turns out it was really to pay for 2 panels.....

They wanted another few hundred to mount and wire the gauges. All in all they were competitive in price, I think you'll be shocked when you start getting prices for turn key panels.

gcarter
05-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Awesome... does anyone know if one place better than the other?

George, did your Minx come stock with the dash that short? Mine goes all the way to the left side of the boat... the junk collector is mounted into the black dash panel instead of like yours mounted right to the fiberglass.

Also, did you just bend the dash plate where the angle starts? Mine dash is flat by the wheel then bends. The stock dash is 2 panels... one the flat surface by the wheel, then a second after the bend all the way to the left side past the junk collector.
I didn't like the original black panel and all the space it wasted, so I just eliminated the rest of the panel where the second bend is (i.e., just short of the box). The panel is flat and I pulled it down w/the screws you see in the middle. It's important to specify where all the holes are to be because of the clear plastic coating on the panel. It's very durable but you wouldn't want to try to repair it. BTW, it's the brighter of the two stock "Ford White" colors, and matches pretty well.
Also, I had some Minicraft "Classic White" patch paste and filled all the uneccessary holes while I was figuring out what to do.

gcarter
05-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Also notice the panel they made for the right hand side. It really helped the look and was included in the price and also came completely wired w/terminal strips.

gcarter
05-07-2008, 11:55 AM
Take a look at;
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36703&page=9
and note #124.....

mjw930
05-07-2008, 01:32 PM
This is the final installed picture of my dash. It's powder coated aluminum with the wording laser etched.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35028&d=1206913191

Air 22
05-07-2008, 02:42 PM
My self and DR. Dan got our Dash Pannel's at Nisoger Marine..They specialize in Donzi Dash Pannels offering a variety of options to meet your needs...its nice hardware for sure,:thumbsup:

http://www.nisongermarine.com/dash-panels-donzi-replacement-dash-and-switch-panels.html

VetteLT193
05-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Well, I have some phone calls to make and some work to do making a template.

I also have to decide on bezels. I really like the look but the add up quick. I'm going to put 10 2" gauges in plus the speedo and tach... it looks like $125 worth of bezels.

Dr. Dan
05-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Well, I have some phone calls to make and some work to do making a template.
I also have to decide on bezels. I really like the look but the add up quick. I'm going to put 10 2" gauges in plus the speedo and tach... it looks like $125 worth of bezels.

:smash: It adds up quickly but take the time and spend the money to do it the way you want it... it's not like you'll be doing it every other year... so enjoy it...my new Dash and Wheel really made the Boat look much more finished and current....

As Dwight Said I used Nisongers... (ask for Woody) he can fax you some layouts... or you can have them make you one to your specs. I have picks on my www.atlanticcoastdonzi.com member gallery.

Good Luck it will look great.

Doc :cool:

Air 22
05-07-2008, 10:06 PM
Nice Pic's:thumbsup:...Bling-O-Lishous:eek!::wink:

VetteLT193
05-08-2008, 07:11 AM
Poodle, how did you fill the dash? looks great! I thought about doing it like that, but Donzi sure did a great job of chopping the hell out of the dash.

I won't be far off color scheme wise... I have the same shifter, same color steering wheel (mine is the non-centering version though).

How do you like that layout? Any complaints?

I thought about moving my key to the right of the wheel like that, but is it a PITA to start if you need to pump the throttle?

Is the wheel in the way of the trim gauge?

Is that dash flat, or angled like mine and gcarters?

you don't happen to have the original glove box / junk collector do you? (mine was cut up by the previous owner to hold the stereo, but I'd rather have both)

did you wire the trailer trim switch into the shifter? I don't see it...

sorry for all the questions, but like the Doc implied, I only get to do this once:)

zimm17
05-08-2008, 09:25 AM
Nisonger marine for me too. Be very specific how you want the dash laid out. I also mistakenly got all the military toggle switches from them, when I already ordered from my Livorsi dealer. So I had two sets of $350 switches. They were VERY reluctant to take them back and refund my money. The panel also took a long time.

So, great product, long lead time, not the best customer service.

gcarter
05-08-2008, 09:31 AM
That boat belongs to a friend of Dalelama......what they did was to unbolt the whole dash out of the boat and cut the convoluted center section out and replace it w/a flat piece. I thought about that myself as the dash top is really weak and I would have reinforced the underside of the top.
If you look at the back side of the dash, you'll see some very long #6 or so screws. If you remove those (maybe 4 or 6 of them), and cut out the caulking around the perimeter, the dash will come out.

gcarter
05-08-2008, 09:37 AM
I really like the waterproof Carling swithches like on the Minx. They are easily removable, completely watertight, the rocker pulls off from the front and the rocker can be silkscreened rather than the panel. Also they are reasonably priced....probably in the $15.00-$20.00 range.

roadtrip se
05-08-2008, 12:48 PM
I have had one of their panels in my 22 for quite awhile now. Still looks great.

Another little tip. The aluminum bezels corroded and started looking funky, and I have never run the beast in salt. I just replaced all of mine with stainless steel from Livorsi via Nisonger. I would hope they are a little more durable.

VetteLT193
05-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Thanks again to everyone... I'll post pics as I get things done. I really like all the pictures everyone has posted!

roadtrip: I know the aluminum bezels go bad, but I have a set of white gauges and my trim is all red. So, I either need to get a red anodized dash plate or red bezels over a white plate to really make it all look right.