PDA

View Full Version : Paging: bigrizzly aka randy-lookin for honda rc51

Moody Blu'
05-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Was wondering how you feel about dropped rc51's? Im looking to buy one and found a nicky hayden edition 2004 with 650 miles!!. an older guy dropped it at low speed. the guy selling it buys bikes to fix them up and sells them. he already has all the new plastics for it , a two brother exhaust, power commander. etc for $6500

are there any inherent problems with a rc51 thats dropped? like a fragile frame etc...

perhaps you know some for sale, maybe a new crated one for cheap direct form honda? hehe

also found a 2002 with 2600 miles on it akropovich exhaust power commander, tank bra and bike cover for around 6800

both are sp2 models NOT sp1's

zelatore
05-06-2008, 08:28 PM
The RC is a heck of a bike. Not exactly a comfy ride, but a great track day or weekend toy. You gotta love twins...

I'm not aware of any specific weakness on that bike; I'd just give it the usual once-over I would with any bike. Make sure it all lines up right, the forks are straight, etc. You might even consider running it through a computrack check if you have a vendor nearby who can do it.

BTW, I'm not a big fan of 2BR pipes. I put one on my Daytona after I dropped it when I was trading for the Speed Triple. I chose it because it was cheap. At least it was lighter than stock. The Akropovic on the other hand should be a nice pipe - or is it a full system? A full system is a few bucks $$$!

If Nicky and I gew up within about 100 miles of each other, how come he's got a factroy GP ride and I don't? I can't be that I'm slow or anything...:hangum:

Moody Blu'
05-06-2008, 10:26 PM
The RC is a heck of a bike. Not exactly a comfy ride, but a great track day or weekend toy. You gotta love twins...
I'm not aware of any specific weakness on that bike; I'd just give it the usual once-over I would with any bike. Make sure it all lines up right, the forks are straight, etc. You might even consider running it through a computrack check if you have a vendor nearby who can do it.
BTW, I'm not a big fan of 2BR pipes. I put one on my Daytona after I dropped it when I was trading for the Speed Triple. I chose it because it was cheap. At least it was lighter than stock. The Akropovic on the other hand should be a nice pipe - or is it a full system? A full system is a few bucks $$$!
If Nicky and I gew up within about 100 miles of each other, how come he's got a factroy GP ride and I don't? I can't be that I'm slow or anything...:hangum:

why did you not like the two brothers?

dclassic
05-07-2008, 01:20 AM
X2 on the Computrack idea. It is good even on a bike that has not been dropped. You'd be surprised at the number of less than straight bikes that have rolled off the line. IMO the RC has a killer motor and is a good track bike although a bit heavy for tight tracks. Fun on the street, but as stated not real comfy. Are you looking for a street bike or track bike or a combination?

BigGrizzly
05-07-2008, 08:33 AM
After working for Honda for 24 years I should know more then I do. The frame doesn't have any inherent problems. The engine always need good fuel.It doesn't like water or old fuel. As for the pipes The 2br are fine, maybe not the best. The designer of the pipes Mike Valasco used to work for us on the race team. I haven't seen him in years but he is good! Just remember you don't just put pipes on an RC and go there is fine tuning after that. We actually had different pipes for different tracks, just like suspension. On my race bikes I had to set up the suspension different for different riders too. One guy actually had a different engine too, but boy could he go! I hope this helps. BTW I like that bike just in case you wanted to know.

Moody Blu'
05-07-2008, 11:58 AM
After working for Honda for 24 years I should know more then I do. The frame doesn't have any inherent problems. The engine always need good fuel.It doesn't like water or old fuel. As for the pipes The 2br are fine, maybe not the best. The designer of the pipes Mike Valasco used to work for us on the race team. I haven't seen him in years but he is good! Just remember you don't just put pipes on an RC and go there is fine tuning after that. We actually had different pipes for different tracks, just like suspension. On my race bikes I had to set up the suspension different for different riders too. One guy actually had a different engine too, but boy could he go! I hope this helps. BTW I like that bike just in case you wanted to know.

yep, when i worked in the kawie yamaha dealer building prepping and test riding the bikes I put a couple of full exhausts on and tuned them with the power commanders (PC) all the bikes im looking at have aftermarket exhausts and PC's

of course I knew you liked that bike, after al it is a RC with a long race heritage

I love hearing tidbits about what you did with HRC.

well im off to check out a 03 rc51 with 6500 on the odom

if anyone has mroe info on them id really like to know

BigGrizzly
05-08-2008, 08:41 AM
Maybe we will talk more if you get your but up to LG or come to Cumberland!

Moody Blu'
05-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Maybe we will talk more if you get your but up to LG or come to Cumberland!

yea, project is starting soon, I have to buy a motor lift this week or next, pull the deck off, pull the motor, change the gas tank, change the oil pan and rewire the boat then button her back up.

I rode the 03 rc51 yesterday, felt great aside form the wrist pain(ive heard they give wrist pain but you can fix it with higher clip ons)

going to look at a 04 hayden now.......

BigGrizzly
05-09-2008, 07:38 PM
When your pushing around the track there isny of that but cruising there is a lot, and bars do help that. I need higher bars on a standard VFR. I still like my old 1000 Hurricane.

Mr X
05-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Hey Randy,
you ever see my CBX ?

8000 original miles and mint!

Moody Blu'
05-09-2008, 08:03 PM
When your pushing around the track there isny of that but cruising there is a lot, and bars do help that. I need higher bars on a standard VFR. I still like my old 1000 Hurricane.

any chance you have any exhaust from the rc 51's you worked on? and pictures?
I was thinking of makinf a 2 into one pip with a small mufler from one of the newer style lowr exhaust to reduce weight

BUIZILLA
05-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Ted, if my BIL see's that, he's gonna talk ya out of it.. :shocking:

Mr X
05-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Ted, if my BIL see's that, he's gonna talk ya out of it.. :shocking:

Who is BIL ?

Ed Donnelly
05-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Brother-In-Law

Mr X
05-10-2008, 06:50 AM
I was guessing that after I posted.

BigGrizzly
05-10-2008, 07:28 AM
Ted don't you ever have anything that is not pristine? Even the junk boats you get are clean neat and tidy. That engine was ahead of its time. They made the horse power lite to compensate for the and handling limitations of the frame and tires of the time. The only problem with that engine was if Wheelies were done for more then 1/4 miles it would starve for oil on the main bearings. We have gotten as much as 198 HP out of the engine, but it was un ride able. Valves were a pain to adjust. The good part is after the first 1000 miles they don't change for another 10,000 and then its minor. Just make you run the carbs dry and always use fuel stabilizer. This keeps the carbs clean, they aren't fun to clean.

Planetwarmer
05-10-2008, 11:48 AM
RCs dont float!

BigGrizzly
05-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Your right RC's don't float but do Kick a$$. Now back to whatever you want to talk about.

Moody Blu'
05-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Ted don't you ever have anything that is not pristine? Even the junk boats you get are clean neat and tidy. That engine was ahead of its time. They made the horse power lite to compensate for the and handling limitations of the frame and tires of the time. The only problem with that engine was if Wheelies were done for more then 1/4 miles it would starve for oil on the main bearings. We have gotten as much as 198 HP out of the engine, but it was un ride able. Valves were a pain to adjust. The good part is after the first 1000 miles they don't change for another 10,000 and then its minor. Just make you run the carbs dry and always use fuel stabilizer. This keeps the carbs clean, they aren't fun to clean.

your talking about the cbx mtoor or the rc51? I think your talking about the cbx because the rc has injectors.

randy do you have any pics of the bikes you worked on for the team?

zelatore
05-12-2008, 02:03 PM
randy do you have any pics of the bikes you worked on for the team?

Yes, more info please!

Like an onion, we are revealing yet another layer in the BigGrizzly mystique...I had no idea you had wrenched on an AMA team. Must have been Superbike from not that long ago if you were involved with the RC's. Was Hayden one of your riders?