PDA

View Full Version : Looking at Z-33 opinions, suggestions, ect. PLEASE

bigo181979
05-06-2008, 03:08 PM
First of hello everyone and :beer:

I have always wanted a Donzi and I now have the opprotunity to purchase an extremely low hour 1988 Donzi Z-33 Crossbow. The boat sat for the last 7 years in a barn in Missouri due to a bad motor. Was purchased and cleaned up by the guy I am looking at buying it from. Turned out both motors were bad! So....
It now has 2 freshly rebuilt, originally 454's now punched out to 496's, big block chevy motors, the drives and gimbals have been freshned with all parts replaced that needed to be and 2 new edelbrock carbs were installed. It has 4 blades ss cleavers on it and a 98 triple axel aluminum trailer, don't remember the manufacturer. All the switches in the ****pit were replaced due to corrosion from sitting, also the ****pit upholstry was redone. The price seems extremly fair.

What I would like to know is what is everyone's opinions of this boat likes dis-likes ?
Is there anything with this model that I should be aware of?
Things to check out on it, problem areas and such, when I go to see it?
Any other info you guys would like to share about this design.

Thanks!!!!!!

The Hedgehog
05-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Get some pics up.

There are a couple of folks around here that know them well. Donzigo has a real nice one (stunning) and a guy in Michigan also has one that is HOT.

I think that there are a few other folks that have some expertise but these guys come to mind.

Trueser
05-06-2008, 11:15 PM
What drives?

Have the stringers and transom been checked out?

Color and pictures would help..

Great boat.

bigo181979
05-07-2008, 10:08 AM
Below are some pics, it has KAAMA Surface drives when motord were reinstalled Stringes and Transom checked out fine .
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e60/Bigo181979/donzi1.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e60/Bigo181979/donzi2.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e60/Bigo181979/donzidock.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e60/Bigo181979/donziengs.jpg

Trueser
05-07-2008, 10:38 AM
Looks nice.

Did you have a survey?

bigo181979
05-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Looks nice.

Did you have a survey?

Not yet.

VetteLT193
05-07-2008, 11:02 AM
any boat that has sat for 7 years is going to have a bunch of problems pop up. Not saying they will be major, but chances are you will have a bunch of stuff break in a row unless the current owner has run it enough to get through the first wave of problems

Trueser
05-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Those exhaust manifolds don't look like they are sitting correctly.

Donzigo
05-07-2008, 08:19 PM
I agree, the exhaust manifolds don't have risers and that would be a concern. My guess is that it would need a number of things to make her seaworthy.

The fuel tank is always a concern...................right George?

Call me if I can help.

Richard 727-867-7020

BigGrizzly
05-08-2008, 08:30 AM
Thoes are Harding hedders, a a good heddeer I had them on my Criterion. They sit so high and the pipes drop down that a flapper is all that is needed. I used them for 4 years without a problem. Now I have CMIs with captain's call. My Hardings are for sale.

bigo181979
05-08-2008, 08:52 AM
I have a surveyor coming out sat to look over the boat. According to the owner everything from the dash back has been gone through and repaired or replaced as needed. I guess I will see what the survey comes back with!!!

The Hedgehog
05-08-2008, 08:58 AM
If setup right it ought to run pretty good. There was a guy in England that had a Z-33 with surface drives. It was fast.

Keep us posted.

Donzigo
05-08-2008, 09:25 AM
The original design was for the boat to go 60MPH, w 454's and Bravo 1 drives. My guess is that you would need to figure that it would take 4 to 6 thousand to get it right. It's a 20 year old boat (and a good design) but it is heavy which makes it comfortable; but, it's slow by today's standards.

bigo181979
05-08-2008, 10:27 AM
The original design was for the boat to go 60MPH, w 454's and Bravo 1 drives. My guess is that you would need to figure that it would take 4 to 6 thousand to get it right. It's a 20 year old boat (and a good design) but it is heavy which makes it comfortable; but, it's slow by today's standards.

According to the owner, I have not confirmed this yet for my self, but the motors are in the range of about 450hp each and with the surface drives and the 4 blade cleaver props he said he has had it up to 68 and was not at WOT so I am hopeing 70+ won't be out of the question...

The Hedgehog
05-08-2008, 11:12 AM
According to the owner, I have not confirmed this yet for my self, but the motors are in the range of about 450hp each and with the surface drives and the 4 blade cleaver props he said he has had it up to 68 and was not at WOT so I am hopeing 70+ won't be out of the question...

That does not sound unreasonable. CUDA had a Formula with KAAMA's. Maybe he will have some input in terms of what you can expect and what they will handle.

I hope that it works out. I would love to know more about the Z-33 with surface drives. I think that is pretty cool. The guy in England was claiming some pretty good numbers with big power.

mrfixxall
05-08-2008, 01:25 PM
The only concerns i would have with the boat in the kaama drives which are no longer being built so finding parts are getting hard to find.. al the bearings are still available though any bearing supplier but other then that the boat looks tobe in great shape,,turn the steering and run the drives up and down and go in back of the boat and make sure none of the hydrolic rams are leaking..if you do deside to buy the boat theirs a guy who designed and built those drives in saybrook ct at ocean performance,, goes by the name of john connor..:)