PDA

View Full Version : Jefe.....

Donziweasel
05-06-2008, 08:44 AM
Jefe,
Going to be fishing for red's in Mobile AL in two weeks. Know anything about the inshore fishing there? As you know, I love to fly fish. Know anything about the patterns to use? Leader size? What wieght? Neve done it before, but sounds like fun. Let me know if you have any info on this area. Thanks.

JP

Team Jefe
05-09-2008, 10:02 PM
Never fished Mobile Bay, but I hear it is great....and VERY Shallow. Also I think there sre special rules due to the bay being a protected area...of course that may be for offshore drilling...I alwasy get those confused.

Are you fishing with a guide? Always best in a new situation. As I have never even held a fly rod, I can't help there, but if Red fishing In AL is like LA....especially Bull Reds, (I don't fish for bull reds in TX 'cause you can't keep them) then you'll need some medium tackle, Penn 330GTi's, Calcutta 400's and the like on 6-7 ft medium action rods, 20lb test, fishing circle hooks with cracked crab.

Of course the smaller Reds can be fished with live croaker as well....but you may get lots of Specs doing that.....oh that would be so bad.:wink:

I like fishing Bull Reds with my Spec Lines..Calcutta 150 on 7 ft popping rod with 12 ib test and 20lb leader.....it mades the fight more fun...Maybe like Fly fishing???

When are you going to be down there?

Donziweasel
05-10-2008, 08:20 AM
Jefe,
Been years since I fished for reds, back when I was in College at the College of Charleston. It is Boo Boo's parents 40th anniversery. All of the family is staying at some high end hotel in Mobile and they have activities for both the girls and guys-girls get massages and pampering, Boo Boo's father, two sons, and myselft go guided fishing. They love to fish as much as I do, so it ought to be fun. Funny thing, although Boo Boo looks forward to her pampering, I think she would rather fish. Love that woman!
While I am an avid fly fisherman, I just love to fish. Spin fishing, off shore, whatever. I am not one of those snobby fly fisherman who look down on all other forms of fishing ( I can't stand people like that). I grew up bass and cat fish fishin' in Georgia. Hell, last week I was trolling rapalas for trout in the jet boat. Remind me to tell you the story of the Madison River one day, you will get a laugh.
To pay for College, I was a mate on a 40 ft Buddy Davis called the Palmetto Pride (I know, gay name for a boat) in Charleston. Ran lines (we ran 7 lines on Penn Internationals and Shimano TLD's), washed the boat, baby sat clients, cleaned said clients puke in 7 ft+ seas, cleaned said clients fish (usually got a nice Tuna steak or Mahi Mahi at the end of the day), rigged baits, coached clients on big hook ups, etc...
Thanks for the info, I am sure the guide will hook us up. One of these days I need to get down to your neck of the woods and fish with ya, if you will have us. I'll make sure Boo Boo brings her red bikini! Fishing turned on down there yet? If you ever want to try fly fishing out west, you had better call me!

JP and Boo Boo (officail member of Jefe's Red Bikini Team)

Team Jefe
05-11-2008, 06:42 AM
Cool, sounds like you have a good hook up. keep me in the loop on how the bay fishes, I am interested in getting over there. I should be in teh area over the next few week, so If you are there then give me a buzz and maybe the stars will line up and we can have lunch or whatever.

As for TX fishing, they are out there, but the weather is still really crappy. The serious gung-ho crews are having some good days, but we haven't really started yet. Plus with all the stuff happening in my life and the refinery getting ready for teh summer gas season, blah, blah, blah.

My door is always open for a member of the RBC, and if she must bring you then OK:wink:. give me a buzz 713-825 2443