PDA

View Full Version : "Lock in" gas @ $2.99 for 3 years.

ChromeGorilla
05-06-2008, 06:29 AM
Heard a new ad this morning on the radio that Chrysler, upon purchasing one of their vehicles, will give you a gas card that will enable you to purchase gas @ $2.99/gal for 3 years. (87, E85 and diesel only. No premium.)

Guess it's not too bad a deal if you were lookin to buy a Chrysler anytime soon.... It's a GREAT deal if you drive a diesel and you buy a new Chrysler for the wife or somethin......

Here are the details....

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2008/05/chrysler_guarantees_gas_at_299.html

ChromeGorilla
05-06-2008, 06:33 AM
Hell, didn't even think of it... Also a great deal if your looking to pick up a new Dodge Ram diesel....

BUIZILLA
05-06-2008, 06:54 AM
if your in the delivery business, the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty on new Dodge trucks is something to consider, think about that for a second... LIFETIME Powertrain warranty on a D3500 Cummins diesel package?? :cool:

if that also apply's to the Sprinter, they should sell every one on the lot's in the next 3 weeks...

olredalert
05-06-2008, 07:23 AM
-----I think Ill buy a new "Chrysler something" so I can fill my boat up. What........You guys dont think Im serious?????.........Bill S

VetteLT193
05-06-2008, 07:50 AM
I'd like to know how the credit card company knows how many gallons you bought.

It also says there is an allotment... probably pretty low

rustnrot
05-06-2008, 08:10 AM
Wonder what these cards will trade for on ebay?

Donziweasel
05-06-2008, 09:04 AM
Jefe, since you are in the market, might be a good time to buy another Dodge if it applies to Dodge as well as Chrysler. BTW, thanks for the green ding. Figured it was you. Back at ya.

gold-n-rod
05-06-2008, 10:31 AM
if your in the delivery business, the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty on new Dodge trucks is something to consider, think about that for a second... LIFETIME Powertrain warranty on a D3500 Cummins diesel package?? :cool:
if that also apply's to the Sprinter, they should sell every one on the lot's in the next 3 weeks...

The lifetime powertrain warranty does not apply to diesels. :smash::smash::smash:

Cuda
05-06-2008, 09:08 PM
Hell, didn't even think of it... Also a great deal if your looking to pick up a new Dodge Ram diesel....
You might want to give that some serious thought.

ChromeGorilla
05-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Damn... aguy can't get it up ONCE and he never hears the end of it.....

Steep slippery ramp with cheap azz "bicycle" tires don't mix....:smash:

With friends like these....I tell ya....

Carl C
05-07-2008, 08:10 AM
The local news did the math last night and with the limitations the most you would be likely to save over the life of the deal is $900 and the more likely total savings $600. Not nearly enough to make me even think about switching from Ford. Now if I could use that card on the boat too.........

edit: One more thing is that it looks like you must put all of your gas purchases on a credit card which makes it likely that you will pay at least some interest. I don't think it's a very smart marketing ploy. How about lower, fixed, out the door pricing? Everyone pays the same price except fleet purchases. What a concept.

Donziweasel
05-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Although I have Sprinters and love em, they are almost twice the price of a new Chevy or Ford van. Plus, NO fleet incentives. The pass version I priced out was well north of $50,000.00. My new Chevy's, fully loaded, coming are 28,000.00 with fleet pricing. Nice rigs though, very reliable and I average 29-31 mpg with mine, but they are the old inline 5, not the new V-6.

One thing about Sprinters that bugs me, is that all the controls are VERY European. Takes a hell of a long time to figure them all out. For example, on our beloved domestic stuff, there is a dial that has red and blue for air temp. Cold an hot, very easy. Sprinters have mulitple controls with no colors or anything for mildly retarded people such as myself.

The seat is another thing to get use to. It might adjust over 100 different ways, which is good, because the steering wheel does not tilt. You adjust the seat to the wheel.

Every time a driver drives one for the first time, I swear it takes 30 minutes to train him on the controls. There is some neat stuff, such as the headlight adjustment from the dash. If you put wieght in the back, it sags the back end and the headlights shoot higher. You can adjust them back down. Pretty cool.

If the gas incentive applies to the Sprinters, it might offset the sticker shock, but $53,000.00 is a HELL of a lot of money for a glorified van.

zelatore
05-07-2008, 09:44 AM
edit: One more thing is that it looks like you must put all of your gas purchases on a credit card which makes it likely that you will pay at least some interest. I don't think it's a very smart marketing ploy. How about lower, fixed, out the door pricing? Everyone pays the same price except fleet purchases. What a concept.

Oh, I'd say it's an excellent MARKETING ploy. Just look - here we are talking about it and we've got people suggesting they will look at Chrylsler stuff. That's the point of marketing, right?

That doesn't mean it's a great deal for the consumer. As you pointed out, it's not like it's a huge savings.

It's like the gas tax 'vacation' thing. Since gas is expensive and on everybody's mind it gets your attention. But if you actually do the math (I know, that's asking too much for most people) it doesn't really make much sense.

BTW, as for paying for fuel with a cc - that's the only way I'll do it. I avoid places that don't have pay at the pump like the plague. My little one-horse-town has a small mom and pop gas station that they remodeled a couple years ago and put in 4 new pumps. But they didn't spring for the pay at the pump. Heck, they aready charge $.10/gal more for credit and are the most epensive guys in 50 miles (at least) but I still thought it was a good idea to support a small local guy until they did this. Now I make ever effort not to go there. It's far too annoying to pull up on my bike or in the truck, get out, walk in, tell the guy you want xxx gallons, then explain two or three times that you didn't say xxx dollars, you want xxx gallons and he can do the friggen math himself since he's got the calculator, then go back out and pump...

glashole
05-07-2008, 09:56 AM
not to get off topic or to sound like an idiot

but

how do you know exactly how much gas you are going to put into your vehicle without pumping it first?? :confused:

Or do you just deal with not getting a full tank if you underestimate or do you go in and get change if you overestimate??

using the pay at the pump is definitely a time saver

mjw930
05-07-2008, 09:56 AM
One thing to notice, this offer is in lieu of other incentives like cash back or 0% financing so you would probably lose money in the long run.

Run all the numbers before you sign on the dotted line.

Carl C
05-07-2008, 10:02 AM
Zeletore, to get set up for credit cards stores must pay an initial fee for equipment, a monthly fee and a small percentage of each transaction. This is why I don't take them at my store. I explain this to people and direct them to the ATM in our building. I agree that the pre-pay is a PITA if you want a fill-up but the stations around here will usually turn on the pump if you pull up to one near the window and they recognize you. I just look inside and wave and on comes the pump!:) I like to pay cash for stuff. The merchants prefer it, I don't pay interest and it minimizes the "paper trail".

There are too many limitations with this deal and gas is likely to drop closer to $3 a gallon in the fall anyway. Offer that deal on a boat that gets 2 mpg and now we're talking real savings!

zelatore
05-07-2008, 10:23 AM
not to get off topic or to sound like an idiot

but

how do you know exactly how much gas you are going to put into your vehicle without pumping it first?? :confused:

Or do you just deal with not getting a full tank if you underestimate or do you go in and get change if you overestimate??

using the pay at the pump is definitely a time saver

My point exactly! :doh::smash:

zelatore
05-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Carl,

They take cards now, they just up-charge. I know card companies charge a fee to the vendor; I take cards here as well. I figured they station would have an initial extra expense to buy pumps that had the cc machines built-in, but I didn't think there would be an extra monthly fee on top of that.

You'd think they might recoup even that expense by being open 24/7 if they had pay at the pump.

As for gas prices...Right now the Shell here near my office (Oakland, CA) is $4.09/gal for regular. Granted, they are an expensive station and others only a few miles away are usually 10-15 cents better. On the water gas at our only fuel dock on the estuary is over $5.00. Yet Monday I took a boat up to Stockton for delivery to Tahoe, and fueled it up at my favorite stop in Pittsburg, CA along the way for $3.89/gal for regular. (and yes, it was pay at the pump...:) ) BTW, diesel is still cheaper than gas on the water, at least around here.

Craig S
05-07-2008, 11:11 AM
BTW, as for paying for fuel with a cc - that's the only way I'll do it. ..

Its also easier to track, and probably easier to get help, if you get bad gas.

Carl C
05-07-2008, 12:00 PM
I suppose you could use your gas card at the boat docks where you would really save money as long as you don't exceed your quota. I don't fuel up much on the water but when I do it seems to be about 50 cents more per gallon. Or maybe Chrysler would nix that when the invoices came in from "Gregory's Fuel Dock" or "Tawas City Municiple Marina", etc.:smash: