PDA

View Full Version : Let's see your......fishtank

Donziweasel
05-04-2008, 06:50 PM
Yeah, I have a fish tank. Actually, it is fairly relaxing to watch after a bad day at Alltrans, Inc. when I feel like killing people. Anyone else have a tank?

Carl C
05-04-2008, 07:31 PM
I used to be big into tropical fish years ago. I had 7 tanks at the peak of my hobby, the biggest being 70 gallons. One tank was full of African Cichlids called "Mbuna". They are really cool. I had piranhas but they are boring. My favorites were the Oscars which seem to have personalities. They will jump out of the water and take food from your hand. Don't try that with pirhanas though! Never tried salt water.

BUIZILLA
05-04-2008, 07:47 PM
:wink: not to upstage anyone here....

but if you want to see a REAL fish tank, take a tour of Bud's parent's house, and look at their's.... :shark:

the plumbing alone utilizes two story's of the house...

I'll just leave it at that... :cool:

Donziweasel
05-04-2008, 07:54 PM
Damn, Bud got any pics? Would like to see that. Thinking about going to the Georgia Aquarium when I am in Atlanta in a few weeks.

Ed Donnelly
05-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Had a custom tank made by Silent World Aquarium in New Orleans. They would ship my salt water fish up to me.
My 4 favorites were my Lion fish, dogface puffer, porcupine puffer, and my Mandarin.. The Mandarin would come up to the top to let me pet him while I fed him.. Word of note ...never pat them with a cut on your finger...........Ed

LKSD
05-05-2008, 07:00 AM
We have some chiclids.. :)

Carl C
05-05-2008, 07:30 AM
Ed: DON'T PET THE LIONFISH!

Jamie, very nice. African Cichlids evolved and are found only in Lake Malawi, Africa. Definately one of my favorite types of tropical fish.

I managed to dig up 2 old pics of some of my tanks from the late 70s! The big one is 70 gallons and the other big one is 55 gal with a stainless steel frame. You don't see those often. You can see an oscar in the big tank, not much in the other. The small tank below held goldfish for the oscars which they swallow whole, unlike piranha which bite them into pieces. The other small tank has a gerbil.

Carl C
05-05-2008, 07:45 AM
I dug up some pics of my Mbuna. These are from 1982! Shortly after I cut down to one tank and then gave up the hobby. It's a lot of work.

Donziweasel
05-05-2008, 07:59 AM
Carl and Jamie, nice! My tank is 120 gallons with a wet/dry and two canister filters. When the Lazy P is done, I am thinking of putting all four types of trout in it. Cutthroat, Rainbow, Brown and Brook. Don't see many trout tanks. Jackson just doesn't have the resouces for a salt. No pet store (went out of business).

Carl C
05-05-2008, 08:12 AM
Carl and Jamie, nice! My tank is 120 gallons with a wet/dry and two canister filters. When the Lazy P is done, I am thinking of putting all four types of trout in it. Cutthroat, Rainbow, Brown and Brook. Don't see many trout tanks. Jackson just doesn't have the resouces for a salt. No pet store (went out of business). Cold water tanks can be fascinating too. You could put in a largemoth bass too. At the end of a bad day when you "feel like killing people" you can feed them goldfish and pretend that you are throwing the jerks to the sharks. Then you will feel better.:wink: Fishtanks are very relaxing to watch and maybe someday I'll have another but it won't be 120 gallons:eek!:. Do people still use diatom filters? It would turn the water in my tanks crystal clear in a few hours.

Donziweasel
05-05-2008, 08:17 AM
I have a little Magnum filter that I run diatomacious earth in when it gets real cloudy. Will clear it in about an hour. They still have not found a better way to "polish" a tank than a diatom. Not used for regular filtration, but a nice accessory for a water change, etc.....

Team Jefe
05-05-2008, 07:05 PM
:wink: not to upstage anyone here....

but if you want to see a REAL fish tank, take a tour of Bud's parent's house, and look at their's.... :shark:

the plumbing alone utilizes two story's of the house...

I'll just leave it at that... :cool:

I've seen pictures an heard about it....very amazing.

Morgan's Cloud
05-06-2008, 10:39 AM
That's not an aquarium .. It's a privately owned "Seaworld ".
Must be amazing .....
How's about some disaster stories all you aquarists ?
You know , like when my friend's 300 gallon SALT aquarium
sprung a leak in the middle of the night and the next morning he was wondering what the 'flip , flip , splish' sounds coming from the living room were ...
~Some trivia .... Did you know that when you initially fill a salt water aquarium, that's the only time you put salt water in it ?
After that, for topups , you put in fresh !
Same theory as a car battery eh ?

zelatore
05-06-2008, 09:01 PM
I can't tell you much about it, but here's the tank we have at the office. All I know about the thing is the secratery feeds 'em every morning, and we have a service that comes a couple times a year to clean it...and little kids love the thing. They're always thrilled by 'Nemo'.

Sorry for the crappy pic - It's in the front of the office and the sun comes in through the windows causing a lot of glare.