PDA

View Full Version : Anything special about this Benz?

Tony
05-03-2008, 11:45 PM
It's tagged as a 450 SL C. Any guess as to the year?
I don't even know if it's for sale, but I'd like to gather some information about it before stopping.

Thanks!

superhatz
05-04-2008, 03:18 AM
Nothing special.....but I've always liked them. The Euro 500SLC was pretty cool.

It's got Euro headlights.

McGary911
05-04-2008, 08:35 AM
That looks like a plane jane 450, but if you could put your hands on an AMG tuned car from that era, you have a special one. I did a double take on this car, as the wheels are similar to the Penta wheels they used back then. They typically had a decklid\front spoiler kit, most had aluminum spoked steering wheel (Nardi, i think).....oh, and a highly modified engine...and AMG on the decklid. AMG, as opposed to today's ///AMG

Donziweasel
05-04-2008, 08:44 AM
Remember the AMG Hammer? 4 door sedan from the 80's with over 600 hp. Damn thing was impressive!

BUIZILLA
05-04-2008, 08:57 AM
aftermarket 15" wheels
USA bumpers
black/black/black is VERY rare
not sure of the larger rear window fillers being a USA item... maybe it was

too many vacuum hoses on those things, a miniscule hole would disable the entire car it seemed... the fuel distributor head is kinda pricey... i'm kinda curious why this was pushed into the weeds myself..

olredalert
05-04-2008, 10:01 AM
----Tony,,,You are now talking my language as I sold a very nice 450SLC about a year ago. I also worked for AMG/North America for quite awhile. These SLCs are pretty well "saleproof"!!! Even the nicest ones. Doesnt mean I dont like them or you shouldnt, but remember that if you own one it will take you forever to sell it when that time comes. Beyond that they arent the perkiest car on the freeway. If you look closely at it, absolutely go nuts looking for rust. It should be creeping in around the perimeter of the doors and around trim and inside the wheel wells. If you see any at all the car will have ten times more you cant see. At that point do an about face and walk away!
----If you truly want a distinctive Merc then dig in, do your homework and then look for the nicest 560 SLC you can afford as they are the absolute high point of Mercedes in both looks and quality. 1990 is the preferred year and a Michigan car will need a good going over before buying too. Stay away from strange colors as they are hard to sell as well. The repairs will cost you a bit every now and then no matter what Merc you end up with but they are notoriously long lasting. I have a friend that had a 1984 or so 380SLC. He lived nearer you than me and put 480,000 miles on it before he sold it to a guy who I believe is still driving it. Hope this helps.........Bill S

----PS,,,Those are the Euro headlights and I have put many a set of those wheels on Mercs back in the day. The fender chrome trim is aftermarket and may be hiding some sins. Those louvered back side-windows are notorious for turning foggy and are just about impossible to clean as they are sealed off. All in all the car pictured looks (from a distance) to not be too bad.

Tony
05-04-2008, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm not all that serious about it, but I guess whenever something nice is in a yard overgrown with grass and weeds it perks up my curiosity.

The car is between Lansing and Fenton, about an hour away from me. I have a pic of the rear end but with the license plate visible, so I didn't post it. If anybody can turn a plate number into a phone number shoot me a PM and I can give the guy a call to see what the story is on the car.

:beer: