PDA

View Full Version : Might have to sell my whipple-supercharged 22....

zimm17
05-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Well I had a heated discussion with the new wife (the one I proposed to on the boat at AOTH) and it looks like the boat and truck might have to go.

Most of you probably have followed my threads on my 1988 Donzi 22 classic. I have $50k into it right now. Interior was new in '03. I put a full EFI Whipple supercharger kit onto the 1997 454 engine. Pulled the heads and had them pressure checked, cleaned up and reinstalled. Full closed loop cooling. $2000 Dana marine exhaust. $1000 worth of oil cooler/steering cooler, remote oil filter, and plumbing. Bravo 1 outdrive with IMCO 2" shorty. new 29" prop. $3000 XS Full hydraulic steering. $2000 Livorsi dash with monster gauges, GPS speedo, depth sounder, Livorsi steering wheel, $800 Dana throttle, $1000 stainless marine trim and tab indicators, new in 2006 $4500 trailer with 4wheel disc brakes, stainless hardware, LED lights, and full size spare. New Lexan tinted windshield with rare stainless steel Donzi frame. Alpine stereo, XM radio, Clarion speakers, Bazooka marine sub. $600 sunbrella cover.Ran 86mph last summer. I think it'll do 90 with some more seat time.

If anyone is interested in pictures, send me your email and I'll shoot you all my pictures.

The only issue with the boat was when I de-winterized this spring, there was water in the oil. It could have just been condensation, but worse case is something is wrong with the block. Compression test is just fine. It starts up and runs great. I figure the most horrible thing would be a bad block, in which you throw a nice strong short block in (502 or 540) and go even faster.

The whipple kit was from a 502, so I had the ECU tuned down to the 454 level- so if you up the engine size, the blower will take it. The exhaust is fitted for an O2 sensor (I'll throw in the wide band O2 sensor and meter) for future tuning. Mark Boos at precision marine in LA has done the tuning and it's right on, but can be adjusted if you up the engine size.

If I sell, I'm looking at low 20's for price. Anyone interested? the boat is in Springfield, VA (outside D.C.) at my parent's house right now.

Donzi Racer
05-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Well I had a heated discussion with the new wife (the one I proposed to on the boat at AOTH) and it looks like the boat and truck might have to go.

Most of you probably have followed my threads on my 1988 Donzi 22 classic. I have $50k into it right now. Interior was new in '03. I put a full EFI Whipple supercharger kit onto the 1997 454 engine. Pulled the heads and had them pressure checked, cleaned up and reinstalled. Full closed loop cooling. $2000 Dana marine exhaust. $1000 worth of oil cooler/steering cooler, remote oil filter, and plumbing. Bravo 1 outdrive with IMCO 2" shorty. new 29" prop. $3000 XS Full hydraulic steering. $2000 Livorsi dash with monster gauges, GPS speedo, depth sounder, Livorsi steering wheel, $800 Dana throttle, $1000 stainless marine trim and tab indicators, new in 2006 $4500 trailer with 4wheel disc brakes, stainless hardware, LED lights, and full size spare. New Lexan tinted windshield with rare stainless steel Donzi frame. Alpine stereo, XM radio, Clarion speakers, Bazooka marine sub. $600 sunbrella cover.Ran 86mph last summer. I think it'll do 90 with some more seat time.

If anyone is interested in pictures, send me your email and I'll shoot you all my pictures.

The only issue with the boat was when I de-winterized this this spring, there was water in the oil. It could have just been condensation, but worse case is something is wrong with the block. Compression test is just fine. It starts up and runs great. I figure the most horrible thing would be a bad block, in which you throw a nice strong short block in (502 or 540) and go even faster.

The whipple kit was from a 502, so I had the ECU tuned down to the 454 level- so if you up the engine size, the blower will take it. The exhaust is fitted for an O2 sensor (I'll throw in the wide band O2 sensor and meter) for future tuning. Mark Boos at precision marine in LA has done the tuning and it's right on, but can be adjusted if you up the engine size.

If I sell, I'm looking at low 20's for price. Anyone interested? the boat is in Springfield, VA (outside D.C.) at my parent's house right now.

Pics please! mishunaire@aol.com Thanks, Tom

zimm17
05-02-2008, 11:04 PM
Oh yeah, new seat sliders with swivels, and Acron pop-up cleats.

zimm17
05-02-2008, 11:11 PM
More pics...

Cuda
05-03-2008, 12:09 AM
I'd say you'd come out better with a divorce lawyer, but it just may be my biiter nature about women right about now. Man, I hate to see you sell it, especially, when I don't have any disposable income. It should sell very quickly.

Barry Eller
05-03-2008, 02:01 AM

Ah, now you may have some ideal why I'm on my third marriage...:doh:

Sorry for you loss...:(

chappy
05-03-2008, 07:21 AM
Good luck with the sale, if that's the direction you choose. Funny thing, I'm getting visions of site members crunching numbers on their calculators seeing exactly how this boat could fit into their budget, and then trying to convince their wives/girlfriends that it's a good investment. I know because I'm one of them. 22's that are stacked like this are fairly rare. Hope everything works out for the best Zimm.

Carl C
05-03-2008, 07:35 AM
Fix it and keep it, you had it before you had her. Sorry but I had to say it.

BUIZILLA
05-03-2008, 07:56 AM
why are you certain it's a block problem?

the truck AND the boat?? getting rid of both of them isn't going to solve whatever issue is at hand, and I speak with 34 years of married experience...

Newby
05-03-2008, 08:09 AM
Ah, now you may have some ideal why I'm on my third marriage...:doh:

Sorry for you loss...:(

Actually, it may raise a serious question regarding the need for a third wife! Awesome boat. Good luck whichever direction you take.

Ed Donnelly
05-03-2008, 08:33 AM
Zimm; Sorry to go off topic...but

First wife.. Darlenne........16 Donzi
Second wife.. Carol ........16 Donzi
Third wife...Marion ........16 Donzi
Fourth wife Heather........16 Donzi but
she made me sell it and get the 22 Criterion SS

Maybe 1,00 total Donzi's built
Maybe 1,000,000,000 women born

Which is the keeper....................Ed

P.S. Would I do it the same way if I had a second chance???
HELL YES........

glashole
05-03-2008, 09:37 AM
get a dog

a friend of mine told me once
if you put both your wife and your dog in the trunk of a car and come back an hour later

only one will be really happy to see you when you let them out ......:)

Donzi Racer
05-03-2008, 09:50 AM
why are you certain it's a block problem?

the truck AND the boat?? getting rid of both of them isn't going to solve whatever issue is at hand, and I speak with 34 years of married experience...

Rose and I are celebrating 31 years this month and I agree with Jim. Work it out. Come to think of it, how have I been able to have 12 Donzi's, oh yea, 2 were before her. Secret to a great marriage given me by a pleasant man married for over 60 years, he makes all the big decisions in the marriage and she makes all the small ones. I of course ask like what are the small decisions and he says, like what kind of house we would live in, kinds of cars we would drive, how many children and where they would go to school. hmmmm, I said, what would be an example of the big decisions? He calmly said, things like world peace, global warming, things like that. Oh I said. Makes sense to me. It is like the one guy standing in a line of one that said non henpecked husbands and the line with the 1 million men in it with the sign that said henpecked husbands and one of the henpecked husbands yells over and says why in the world are you in that line? Oh he says, My wife told me to stand HERE. Hope everything works out for you. Below is what happens to you after 30 years of marriage with a polish catholic wife that can flat cook. Yes dear whatever you say dear. Pics below before and after. By the way that is 160 lbs difference in case the pics do not come in too clear. Still Racing at my advanced size and age. hahahahahahahahah Racey Boy, Tom

zimm17
05-03-2008, 10:56 AM
Well she's a lawyer, I always seem to lose the arguements. With that said, I think I saved my boat. I got it down possibly mothballing the boat while I'm on my next 3 year set of orders in the Navy (Not much boating in San Diego, no place to work on it). It's paid off, so I'm thinking just pump out the fuel tank, drain everything, and get it shrink wrapped.

I decided on my own to quit motorcycling, 11 years and too many close calls on the roads. So when that goes, I want a small sports car as my daily driver- the truck with 14mpg and $4.75 gallon diesel isn't going to cut it. So right now she's freaking out that I'll have a boat, truck, and sports car while she has law school loans, we're looking at buying a second house, and her hybrid is already 4 years old.

Oh, and yes we have a dog :-)

The Hedgehog
05-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Well she's a lawyer, I always seem to lose the arguements. With that said, I think I saved my boat. I got it down possibly mothballing the boat while I'm on my next 3 year set of orders in the Navy (Not much boating in San Diego, no place to work on it). It's paid off, so I'm thinking just pump out the fuel tank, drain everything, and get it shrink wrapped.
I decided on my own to quit motorcycling, 11 years and too many close calls on the roads. So when that goes, I want a small sports car as my daily driver- the truck with 14mpg and $4.75 gallon diesel isn't going to cut it. So right now she's freaking out that I'll have a boat, truck, and sports car while she has law school loans, we're looking at buying a second house, and her hybrid is already 4 years old.

That sounds like a close one. Good luck. I would hate to see you dump a boat like that in the low 20's.

I like to debate a point and love smart women. I dated a lawyer for a while. I usually lost all arguements there. That is a tough one.

gcarter
05-03-2008, 11:08 AM
Just wait till you have to buy a set of batteries for "HER" hybrid!! :wink::propeller::popcorn:

Ed Donnelly
05-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Are you sure she will let you go to San Diago???
Don't bet on her letting you have a sports car..
I'm 63 and still ride my Harley

I guess she tore up your man card when you signed
HER pre nupt

GRAB THE DOG AND RUN FOR YOUR LIFE.............Ed

yeller
05-03-2008, 01:11 PM
I sure hope you can keep the boat especially since you just put so much work into it.

It may have just been a generic comment on your part, but if you do keep it, please, please, don't shrink wrap it. It needs to breathe. Just buy a cheapo cover to throw on it. The boat will be dusty when you get back, but in a lot better shape.

Air 22
05-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Beautiful Boat...I hope you can hold on to it...On a serious note..If you need a place to keep it just let us know!! Someone on the board would keep it safe while you are gone..Heck I'm in Raleigh only a few hours from Norfolk...You are making a huge sacrafice for our Country... we all appreciate what YOU do in the NAVY so we can do what we do..:thumbsup:As a former Coastie..we only deployed 2-3 months at a time... not to bad... So If you need any help just ask..Semper Paratus:salute:

Donzi Vol
05-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Now this thread poses a problem for me. This coming from an unmarried young man looking for a wealthy woman. I've always thought that if I marry a lawyer/doctor or the daughter of a lawyer/doctor that she could just buy me all the Donzi's I want. After all, my dad's always told me, "Son, marry for money, and learn to love. That's not what I did...I love your mother, but at first I thought she had money."

Jerry Eisele
05-03-2008, 03:00 PM
SO ZIMM, Are you coming to the AOTH?? We always can find a seat and I'll Google the directions for you!:nilly:

Cuda
05-04-2008, 06:44 AM
Personally, I'd do without the second house before I sold that boat. You can't live in both houses at the same time.

You need to fly me up there, and take over the argument for you. I don't think I've ever lost an argument, that I thought was worth arguing over, and there are very few things worth arguing. I think she just found one.

Cuda
05-04-2008, 06:47 AM
Zimm; Sorry to go off topic...but
First wife.. Darlenne........16 Donzi
Second wife.. Carol ........16 Donzi
Third wife...Marion ........16 Donzi
Fourth wife Heather........16 Donzi but
she made me sell it and get the 22 Criterion SS
Maybe 1,00 total Donzi's built
Maybe 1,000,000,000 women born
Which is the keeper....................Ed
P.S. Would I do it the same way if I had a second chance???
HELL YES........
This post points out why I have three dogs, and only one ex wife. I'm a quick study.

Cuda
05-04-2008, 06:51 AM
get a dog

if you put both your wife and your dog in the trunk of a car and come back an hour later

Dog also doesn't care how many bills are piled on your table, if you were out all night, dog is still happy to see you. The only time my dogs look at me like I've done something wrong, is if I come home with the smell of another dog on me.

gold-n-rod
05-04-2008, 07:03 AM
The only time my dogs look at me like I've done something wrong, is if I come home with the smell of another dog on me.

This is true of women, too!!!!!!!!!!!! :smash:

Tony
05-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Are you sure she will let you go to San Diago???
Don't bet on her letting you have a sports car..
I'm 63 and still ride my Harley
I guess she tore up your man card when you signed
HER pre nupt
GRAB THE DOG AND RUN FOR YOUR LIFE.............Ed

Now...that right there is a funny post!

:beer:

osur866
05-05-2008, 12:53 AM
Zimm, good luck with this, I too was ONCE married to a lawyer, if there is anything that I will have "IF" I ever get married again is a pre-nump and in it the Donzi stays period! But for real good luck hope your able to keep the Donzi and be happy with the new wifey. Steve

ky-donzi
05-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Man you live in the wrong state. What are the divorce laws there?

In Kentucky the spouse is only entitled to half of the property gained since the date of marrige.

osur866
05-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Lets just say I didn't have a Donzi @ the time if I did I'm sure she would have gotten it in spite, She did however get my dog:confused:, we had no kids! Over 8 years ago and I'm still trying to forget the experience. :shocking: Steve

lakeside
05-20-2008, 10:07 AM
I had the same problem with a 302 it turned out to be the intake manifold gasket. I don't know if that could be the same on a 454 but it is worth the cost of replacing it because it is a cheap fix.

captainsae
06-02-2008, 11:41 PM
I found this a few years ago and thought it was funny so I thought I would post it to this thread:

when I was 14, I hoped that one day I would have a girlfriend.

When I was 16 I got a girlfriend, but there was no passion. So I
decided I needed a passionate girl with a zest for life.

In college I dated a passionate girl, but she was too emotional. Everything was an emergency, she was a drama queen, cried all the time and threatened suicide. So I decided I needed a girl with stability.

When I was 25 I found a very stable girl but she was boring. She was totally predictable and never got excited about anything. Life became so dull that I decided I needed a girl with some excitement.

When I was 28 I found an exciting girl, but I couldn't keep up with her. She rushed from one thing to other, never settling on anything. She did mad impetuous things and flirted with everyone she met. She made me miserable as often as happy. She was great fun initially and very energetic, but directionless. So I decided to find a girl with some ambition.

When I turned 31, I found a smart ambitious girl with her feet planted firmly on the ground and married her. She was so ambitious that she divorced me and took everything I owned.

I am now 40 and am looking for a girl with very big tits.

Air 22
06-03-2008, 07:39 AM
I found this a few years ago and thought it was funny so I thought I would post it to this thread:

when I was 14, I hoped that one day I would have a girlfriend.

When I was 16 I got a girlfriend, but there was no passion. So I
decided I needed a passionate girl with a zest for life.

In college I dated a passionate girl, but she was too emotional. Everything was an emergency, she was a drama queen, cried all the time and threatened suicide. So I decided I needed a girl with stability.

When I was 25 I found a very stable girl but she was boring. She was totally predictable and never got excited about anything. Life became so dull that I decided I needed a girl with some excitement.

When I was 28 I found an exciting girl, but I couldn't keep up with her. She rushed from one thing to other, never settling on anything. She did mad impetuous things and flirted with everyone she met. She made me miserable as often as happy. She was great fun initially and very energetic, but directionless. So I decided to find a girl with some ambition.

When I turned 31, I found a smart ambitious girl with her feet planted firmly on the ground and married her. She was so ambitious that she divorced me and took everything I owned.

I am now 40 and am looking for a girl with very big tits.

LMAO...:)

fasttrucker
06-03-2008, 09:07 AM
That sounds like a close one. Good luck. I would hate to see you dump a boat like that in the low 20's.
I like to debate a point and love smart women. I dated a lawyer for a while. I usually lost all arguements there. That is a tough one.
You know women like to take contol of men,they take a guy fix him.Then dump him and go out find another wild man to tame.Its a game.Stand up for yourself and dont lose her.

zimm17
06-03-2008, 09:24 AM
No, it's safe now. I'm learning in my few short months of marriage, that when it's "that time of month" and a "discussion" of my toys starts up, to let it be for a day or two before freaking out. The next day she was calm as could be and said, "It's OK, we'll keep the boat and truck". Being in the Navy and moving every 2-3 years adds a lot of strain to having a lot of "stuff". For example, I'm in San Diego for 5 months, my house and all my "stuff" in back in Virginia. I have no idea where I'll be going in the world until July, then I'll have 3 weeks to move and get there. Then she has to get orders to meet me where I get stationed.

thriller
06-03-2008, 09:36 AM
get a dog

That there is some Funny Chit...:wink:

FISHIN SUCKS
06-03-2008, 09:47 AM
Listen Zimm, I wish you the best and it aint easy, but the next time this conversation comes up, show her this picture. Your dockmate from AOTH 2007,
tom

PS. Thank you for your service :salute:

FISHIN SUCKS
06-03-2008, 09:52 AM
That there is some Funny Chit...:wink:
TOTALLY AGREED!!! I will use that one, thanx Shea!

zimm17
06-03-2008, 10:27 AM
Thanks fish'n. The old carb is at the bottom of the lake if anyone wants it. Autozone took that new carb back for full price- even though it smelled like gas...

The only stipulation with my boat now, is that if I blow up the motor this summer, I have to save up the money before I can fix it- no more multi-thousand dollar "toys" on the old credit card. That's fair I guess.

FISHIN SUCKS
06-03-2008, 10:41 AM
I know that's you in the back seat, but isn't that monkey in the bilge your brother? The old carb wouldn't even make a good boat anchor...did we try auctioning that thing?

zimm17
06-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Yup, that's my brother Charlie giving the "finger". He just bought a 118mph jetboat. Well 93mph on the motor, supposedly 118 on the juice. We'll find out this weekend when we run it. He's not happy with the price of 114 octane at the race track though- he's buying 30 gallons at $8/gal.

VetteLT193
06-04-2008, 09:40 AM
I don't see any J tubes on that carb, the coast guard is gonna get you! :wink:

zimm17
06-04-2008, 02:24 PM
I don't see any J tubes on that carb, the coast guard is gonna get you! :wink:

J-tubes? Naaah, I got rid of those... Don't want the coast guard after me.

:p

RBT
06-29-2009, 04:49 PM
Did this boat ever sell?

zimm17
06-29-2009, 05:09 PM
Nope, I still have it. It's currently at my parent's house while I'm on deployment. Saving up for a new engine.

javi13
08-05-2009, 08:02 AM
do you still want to sell the boat?

RBT
08-19-2009, 07:18 PM
sent you a pm, very serious

lenbow
10-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Hope unlike me you did not get laid off without hope of reemployment do to outsourcing of all IT jobs to india. I have had my 21 GT since new in 1969.
Unfortunately i sucked a head gasket after putting new gill exhaust on her. She was running GREAT!! WOT @ 4650 with my 4 blade mach 24P Dcup.

F it I rebuilt the engine 30 over and just got it back in the boat. Hope to start breakin next week some time. If it is between my 1969 21 GT and the wife guess which one stays? It starts with the boat, then the other toys pretty soon you are a toy less loser, miserable and divorced anyway.

Grow some!

Buddyc
10-04-2009, 02:53 PM
How does this 22 compair to the 22 from MN that is for sale?Just curious

Trueser
10-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Already SOLD.....