PDA

View Full Version : Mercury High Five Prop

VetteLT193
05-02-2008, 01:32 PM
I've been looking at Mercury high five props for a while now...

They are intended for watersports, but I'm hoping with the 5 blade setup they offer the best cruise speed as well. Anyone have any experience with one?

The high five is smaller in diameter with more blades, so I've read it's comparable in pitch to a 3 blade.

I almost always go out with the family so I don't run my boat WOT much at all. I'm looking for an excellent handling, best cruising, easiest to drive prop (Trying to keep the wife happy behind the wheel) and I'm thinking this could be a good choice. I also run loaded out with people more often than not. 4-5 adults is not uncommon.

I have a Donzi Minx, 350/Alpha 1. Currently running a big eared 23p... It's a bit too much for the boat, but it could also have something to do with the load I usually carry. I have not had the opportunity yet to drive the boat alone and air it out.

mjw930
05-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Why did you start another prop thread! Isn't one a week enough ;) ;) ;)

MOP
05-02-2008, 01:46 PM
I asked about them quite awhile back, since then I have asked two people that have what it did for them. Mind you these were non performance apps, both said the boat rode flatter requiring less tab action. The boats both got on plane much quicker, both noticed a slight loss of top end bur felt the props aired out less in a chop. My thinking is it would be great to have for skiing/tubing and just general cruising but will fall short on what a Donzi is all about.

Phil

BlownCrewCab
05-02-2008, 01:52 PM
I tried a High Five on my 66 18 with the Very High X dim trying to cut down on cavitation. It helped a little and it did have a good cruise speed/rpm.

In the past I have used them on a 24' Jackshaft boat, the standard 3 blades would cavitate bad, the 5 blade fixed it.

Sam
05-02-2008, 01:55 PM
My instincts tell me that if I were in your shoes I would start by looking and testing some four blade props. I think you will find them more willing to carry your kind of loads through a variety of conditions.

VetteLT193
05-02-2008, 02:13 PM
I asked about them quite awhile back, since then I have asked two people that have what it did for them. Mind you these were non performance apps, both said the boat rode flatter requiring less tab action. The boats both got on plane much quicker, both noticed a slight loss of top end bur felt the props aired out less in a chop. My thinking is it would be great to have for skiing/tubing and just general cruising but will fall short on what a Donzi is all about.
Phil

I hear ya on the Donzi performance aspect. I know I'm the oddball. As long as I still have my Minx I need to keep it as family oriented as possible. I plan on upgrading to something bigger at some point (but I need to sell my Harley too in order to justify it). The plus side of using a Donzi like this is it's the best riding 20 footer available.

If it rides flatter this would probably help me... I tend to drag tabs some when loaded out.

I tried a High Five on my 66 18 with the Very High X dim trying to cut down on cavitation. It helped a little and it did have a good cruise speed/rpm.

In the past I have used them on a 24' Jackshaft boat, the standard 3 blades would cavitate bad, the 5 blade fixed it.

Standard deep X on my boat...

My instincts tell me that if I were in your shoes I would start by looking and testing some four blade props. I think you will find them more willing to carry your kind of loads through a variety of conditions.

Testing is easy at gatherings... none of which I've managed to make simply because of schedule. I REALLY want to go to eufaula this year but my wife is dragging me to a wedding that weekend.

Up by me, I think Forrest and I are the only 2 that have a performance boat, and no one is really helpful around here.

So, I'm eBaying and there are some deals that pop up on these High 5 props... thought it might be worth going in head first if I get some positive feedback from here.

BUIZILLA
05-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Turbo 1, 22" 3 blade

VetteLT193
05-02-2008, 03:09 PM
Turbo 1, 22" 3 blade

How much different do you think it will be? Meaning, is it worth the $$ to just drop an inch and stick with the same style wheel?

BUIZILLA
05-02-2008, 03:12 PM
I had a 22 Turbo on my Minx with a 270 and it worked great...

VetteLT193
05-02-2008, 03:25 PM

straight to the point good info:)

Pismo
05-02-2008, 04:53 PM
IRONMAN on OSO has a 21" High Five he would sell you.. PM him on OSO.

blackhawk
05-02-2008, 05:05 PM
If improved cruise is your #1 goal then i would look into 4 blade props. With a standard X five blades will probably be overkill and they are quite pricey.

Bravo 1 or Rev4 would both be worth a try as they have very low slip at cruise. I hear that this company called Turbo makes some 4-blade props too. :D

mjw930
05-02-2008, 05:29 PM

Based on the way the 23 works on my 22C I'd say if you can turn the 22 it's a darn good and cost effective option.

Not sure how a 4 blade could work any better than 92% efficiency at a 40mph cruise and that's what I get with the 23P Turbo 1.

Also, if you go 4 blade you'll probably have to drop to a 21 so if you can get the same 92% efficiency you'll be going about 2 mph slower.

From what I've experienced you only need to consider adding blades if you are getting too much slip with the existing prop. If you can hook up the 22 with the same efficiency I hook up the 23 then a 4 or 5 blade prop isn't going to do anything for you.

If, however, you can't get that kind of efficiency from the 3 blade then adding blades to increase efficiency in the midrange makes perfect sense.

What are your speeds vs. RPM's? That might help in suggesting a direction.

Oh, and the Turbo 1 has excellent manners on my stock 22C. Very easy to drive.

VetteLT193
05-05-2008, 11:50 AM
IRONMAN on OSO has a 21" High Five he would sell you.. PM him on OSO.

Thanks, I sent him a PM to ask him how much $$

If improved cruise is your #1 goal then i would look into 4 blade props. With a standard X five blades will probably be overkill and they are quite pricey.
Bravo 1 or Rev4 would both be worth a try as they have very low slip at cruise. I hear that this company called Turbo makes some 4-blade props too. :D

Thanks, I'll look at them too... options options:)

Based on the way the 23 works on my 22C I'd say if you can turn the 22 it's a darn good and cost effective option.

Not sure how a 4 blade could work any better than 92% efficiency at a 40mph cruise and that's what I get with the 23P Turbo 1.

Also, if you go 4 blade you'll probably have to drop to a 21 so if you can get the same 92% efficiency you'll be going about 2 mph slower.

From what I've experienced you only need to consider adding blades if you are getting too much slip with the existing prop. If you can hook up the 22 with the same efficiency I hook up the 23 then a 4 or 5 blade prop isn't going to do anything for you.

If, however, you can't get that kind of efficiency from the 3 blade then adding blades to increase efficiency in the midrange makes perfect sense.

What are your speeds vs. RPM's? That might help in suggesting a direction.

Oh, and the Turbo 1 has excellent manners on my stock 22C. Very easy to drive.

I don't have exact speeds and RPM's... I have all new gauges in a box (speedo currently broken), and I don't have a handheld GPS anymore.

My personal opinion of the Minx Vs. 22 is that they run a whole lot different. Even though the ride is almost the same, the loss of 2 feet is felt mostly in the way the boat is driven.

Off trim in my Minx results in major porpoising and a nutty drive. 22's off trimmed are much more forgiving. The other really odd thing is too much trim on a 22 gives expected results (same as every other boat I've driven). too much trim on the minx, and I mean 1 blip too much trim, and I basically blow out the prop.

My minx seems to really like running level, my bro's 22 seems to love trim.

Now, all of this comes from only experiencing the prop I have on the boat, so it may radically change with some different ones.

mjw930
05-05-2008, 12:06 PM
At the risk of running afoul of the prop police I would suggest you try a 4 blade before you jump up to a high 5. Personally, I hated the way the High 5 worked on my old 23 Nova and a few others I know haven't been impressed either but none of them are running a Minx so it's anecdotal information at best.

BBlades has a prop test program as do many large Merc dealers so you might start there. I hear BBlades also carries Turbo props :wink: so you may be able to test a couple different prop profiles.

VetteLT193
05-05-2008, 12:26 PM
At the risk of running afoul of the prop police I would suggest you try a 4 blade before you jump up to a high 5. Personally, I hated the way the High 5 worked on my old 23 Nova and a few others I know haven't been impressed either but none of them are running a Minx so it's anecdotal information at best.

BBlades has a prop test program as do many large Merc dealers so you might start there. I hear BBlades also carries Turbo props :wink: so you may be able to test a couple different prop profiles.

Thanks for the info:) I'll do some real in depth looking at 4 blade props when the boat is all back together.

MOP
05-05-2008, 12:44 PM
Do your darnedest to make an event, there are usually a few if not more props and willing hands to help until you get it right.

VetteLT193
05-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Do your darnedest to make an event, there are usually a few if not more props and willing hands to help until you get it right.

I am working on it as hard as I can so I can get to an event!

I have 2 problems right this second, one is a friend said he would make me a wrap for the boat for free... then his wife had to go into the hospital. So, now I'm hanging back waiting until things settle for him. If it doesn't come through I'm back to painting.

The last 4 gauges I need are on their way. The new gaffrig shifter is already installed. I have a new steering wheel ready in a box. New speedo pickup is on its way. I need to order a new stereo. I might have found a good used interior to put in it...

Oh, plus I just got a verbal offer for the boat and I'm temped to sell because the wife wants a bigger boat (she really had to twist arm :wink: ) I didn't even have the boat listed for sale... someone was BSing with my brother about his 22 and they wound up talking about my boat, one thing led to another, yady yady.

BlownCrewCab
05-05-2008, 02:27 PM
It usually costs more to buy a boat thats not for sale (hint Hint)

VetteLT193
05-05-2008, 03:18 PM
It usually costs more to buy a boat thats not for sale (hint Hint)

I just got off the phone... I told him my number is $9000 as is and he turned me down. He said the boat is worth it but he didn't want to spend that much so he is looking for something in his price range. I figured it could have been a win-win for me so I didn't want to go nuts on the price, but I am not giving it away either:)

BigGrizzly
05-05-2008, 05:25 PM
I am out of this. A 5 blade is overkill and will be slower and less efficient then the correct 3 or 4 blade.