PDA

View Full Version : Buiz, need your opinion on ULSD

Donziweasel
05-01-2008, 08:38 AM
Buiz, sounds like you have had some experience with the ULSD. I started thinking about it and my 6.0L's starting giving me trouble right about the time Jackson replaced all it's desiel with ULSD. Just wondering about the effects of the stuff on desiels made prior to this stuff coming out. Still don't know much about it, but it is in every desiel vehicle I own. Think this stuff is making the design flaws of the 6.0L more common? The other deisels, even the Duramaxes and Detriots seem ok, but talking with drivers, they feel that they have less power than before. Also, this winter, with the ULSD, busses seemed harder to start than usual at temps below -10. I hate using ether, and never, never use it unless I absolutly have to, but I had to more than I would have liked this winter, even with the busses plugged in.

BUIZILLA
05-01-2008, 04:51 PM
best thing is to call me, i'll have blood blisters typing...

Rootsy
05-02-2008, 08:37 AM
So Jim,

how familiar are you with roosa master pumps?

BUIZILLA
05-02-2008, 08:50 AM
there's nothing I don't know about them... we probably do 15-20 a month now, at least that many........ we've done as many as 7 a day in busier times... I think we're approaching the 7,000 mark... why do you ask??

Rootsy
05-05-2008, 07:56 AM
there's nothing I don't know about them... we probably do 15-20 a month now, at least that many........ we've done as many as 7 a day in busier times... I think we're approaching the 7,000 mark... why do you ask??

My 560 uses one to fuel the D282. Once in a while it is not happy when it starts. Overfuels, you could fog the mosquitoes in the entire county... skips, zero throttle response. Cleans up after about a minute of running and is fine after that.

Not sure if something is sticking in the pump or if I'm just not leaning on the glow plugs long enough... I always push the fuel shutoff back in after shutting her down.

Have not had a "real" issue with it this week as I've been holding the glow plug button in for 45 - 60 seconds before starting but Saturday it wasn't all that happy, not nearly as bad as before...

This pump is set to stock spec's at the moment.. engine only spinning 1800 rpm.

All of the glow plugs are good unless I've lost one in the past week or so.

BUIZILLA
05-05-2008, 08:29 AM
D282 is sloppy anyways.... probably not a pump problem..

strange injector nozzles...

glow plug test takes seconds..

that engine fires at 2* atdc...

call me...

Rootsy
05-05-2008, 08:41 AM
D282 is sloppy anyways.... probably not a pump problem..
strange injector nozzles...
glow plug test takes seconds..
that engine fires at 2* atdc...
call me...

speaking of injectors.... I have one or two that crack so loudly you think a rod is about to come through the side of the block...

BUIZILLA
05-05-2008, 09:18 AM
that's beacuse they aren't holding pressure, and they fill the cylinder with fuel, and that creates a fuel knock... also creates smoke and a miss...

Rootsy
05-05-2008, 12:30 PM
that's beacuse they aren't holding pressure, and they fill the cylinder with fuel, and that creates a fuel knock... also creates smoke and a miss...

sweet... :smash:

Wonder what a set of rebuilt injectors goes for these days...

Though there is that 3-71 sitting in the barn I could retrofit...

Either way I think it is time to weld up a turbo manifold for the 3LM sitting on the shelf...

BTW, this thing has in excess of 20,000 hours on the original pistons and sleeves... Bearings have replaced once or twice, head's been gone through a few times.. rings once...

Runs pretty well and pulls strong all things considered and holds 40 lbs of oil pressure... blow by is quite minimal... doesn't put out a "whole lot" of black smoke... Actually it runs really well at WOT...