PDA

View Full Version : Attention RedDog and other Knoxvegas area boaters

2biguns
04-30-2008, 03:57 PM
Our brood of Alabama boaters are once again going to invade the sacred waters flowing from the origin of the Tennessee River.
We trailer the boats on Thursday, 5/29/08, and have an early morning launch from Euchee Marina on Watts Bar Lake on Friday morning for the leisurely trip to Knoxville. A few brave souls are going to launch from Goose Pond (Scottsboro, AL) early Thursday and travel the river to Watts Bar Lake, wet slip overnight then continue with the group on Friday to Vol Landing and our accomodations at the Mariott.
Saturday is our day to piddle, cavort and explore, then up early Sunday and head back to Euchee for the long drive home.
Other than our traditional one-finger salute and mass-mooning of Neyland Stadium :wink: and spending way too much time at Calhouns, what do we need to include in our Saturday free day? Usually we do some mass boat consolidating and load up in a couple of the bigger boats and go exploring. Also what's good for supper on Saturday? My wife can't stand the thought of leaving the girls 3 nights so she's driving up Friday and dashing home Sunday, so we'll have a car but would prefer to walk everywhere and avoid the coppers!
Should have a dozen boats or better for this trip. With cost of gas, we've decided to take more in my boat and split the tab.
Thanks for the tips.

Steve

Donzi Vol
04-30-2008, 04:28 PM
Oh lord, you've asked the wrong guys. I could give you a super long list of places to eat, relax, and explore. But since you'll only have one free day I'll try to cut it down. I'm sure that RedDog and cutwater will have some good input as well. And of course you better watch out...we might land you in the middle a Volunteer watering hole without you knowing it :wink:.

To eat downtown:
Calhoun's
Ruth's Chris ($$)
Copper Cellar/Cumberland Grill (Cumberland Ave) (Same brews and steaks as Calhoun's)
Barley's (old city)
Downtown Grill and Brewery (gay street) (GREAT brews)
Various Hippie places in Market Square (across gay street from the Brewery)

To do after dinner:
Drink beer at any of the above
See a flick at the downtown Regal Theater (gay street)
See a show at the Tennessee Theater (gay street)
Take a tour of UT!! Go Vols!

Hope this helps. Give us a shout a day or two before you come up. Maybe we can meet up for a while.

-David

BUIZILLA
04-30-2008, 04:36 PM
are there any street's up there that aren't gay? :propeller:

BlownCrewCab
04-30-2008, 08:42 PM
It's not quite as gay as key west....I have never seen a man-Dressed as a woman(in a Dress) -with one high heel-pushing a shopping cart in TN, But I did in Keywest (at Ricks)

But for things to do, if you keep going up the river about 5 miles theres the SeaRay plants. They have docks to park at, Maybe they'll give you a tour....

Donzi Vol
04-30-2008, 08:51 PM
are there any street's up there that aren't gay? :propeller:

HAHA! Hilarious! I'm not sure where along the line every city in the country thought it would be ok to have a "gay" street.

Mike, sorry...didn't mean to leave you out of the shout out of Knoxville guys. I like the Sea Ray idea. Heck I haven't even been there. If you all go, give me a shout...I'd love to see it.

BlownCrewCab
04-30-2008, 09:00 PM
David...Alls cool, I'll probably be here working on your boat anyway...But if you all need some help with anything call me...Tools, Parts, Truck, whatever.or if you just want to come hang at a farm and B/S(Drink)... I Gots it Yo...

Donzi Vol
04-30-2008, 09:13 PM
David...Alls cool, I'll probably be here working on your boat anyway...But if you all need some help with anything call me...Tools, Parts, Truck, whatever.or if you just want to come hang at a farm and B/S(Drink)... I Gots it Yo...

That'd be cool. That way we'd have a bunch of guys to work on a certain engine, outdrive, wiring, etc for a day. Hehe, just kidding. Just keep us posted, Bama guys.

vonkamp
04-30-2008, 09:23 PM
+1 for Calhoons and Copper Cellar. One of my first jobs was a dishwasher at Copper Cellar. It's been there forever. Also if Chesapeake's is still there, it's a great seafood restaurant...

Donzi Racer
05-01-2008, 12:26 AM
Our brood of Alabama boaters are once again going to invade the sacred waters flowing from the origin of the Tennessee River.
We trailer the boats on Thursday, 5/29/08, and have an early morning launch from Euchee Marina on Watts Bar Lake on Friday morning for the leisurely trip to Knoxville. A few brave souls are going to launch from Goose Pond (Scottsboro, AL) early Thursday and travel the river to Watts Bar Lake, wet slip overnight then continue with the group on Friday to Vol Landing and our accomodations at the Mariott.
Saturday is our day to piddle, cavort and explore, then up early Sunday and head back to Euchee for the long drive home.
Other than our traditional one-finger salute and mass-mooning of Neyland Stadium :wink: and spending way too much time at Calhouns, what do we need to include in our Saturday free day? Usually we do some mass boat consolidating and load up in a couple of the bigger boats and go exploring. Also what's good for supper on Saturday? My wife can't stand the thought of leaving the girls 3 nights so she's driving up Friday and dashing home Sunday, so we'll have a car but would prefer to walk everywhere and avoid the coppers!
Should have a dozen boats or better for this trip. With cost of gas, we've decided to take more in my boat and split the tab.
Thanks for the tips.

Steve

Steve, I have not gotten to yell that much down here in Florida land where all the gators and hurricanes live. Oh yea, did not want to leave out the seminoles but don't see too many of those down here in the Cocoa Florida area. We will be up in Cumberland for the AWOH and maybe we can leave or send a boat to Knoxville and fly up and see all you Bama guys. Be easy on my little nephew, DONZI VOL while you are there. All I could have influence on him about over the years was the water and Donzi's, not his choice in football teams. You know little nephew your older brother was 12 years old before he knew what it was for Tennesee to win a game over Alabama. Poor kid, Hmmm?
Just remember when a person waves their hand forward and reverse with his palm turned in towards his head in florida, he is a seminole and doing the tomahawk chop, and if you see the same thing in Georgia you are seeing an Atlanta Braves fan doing the same chop, but if you see that in Tennesee, which happens quite often, you are seeing a guy motioning and shouting ( FIRST DOWN ALABAMA!!!!). I just love that joke. hahahahahahahahahah
Hell maybe I should stay home, they may scalp me there at Neyland. I remember telling my Dad after the 3rd or 4th bama game we had been to at neyland stadium when I was young, that the Tennesee fans were so nice and such good sports. My Dad which was a life long Bama fan and is buried in the same area of Elmwood Cemetary in Birmingham as Bear Bryant, chuckles and says, that my dear young son, is because you have never been up here when they WON! Oh those were the days. Can you imagine how many more national championships Tennesee and Bama could have won if they did not have to play each other every year? Seems Tennesee has had some great years with only Bama as their only loss. Both have had some great teams. Steve, seems like you and I talked about some bama game tickets a few years back when ya'll had just had one of the Girls. Am I remembering correctly. Thought of you many times, but still have not called for those tickets. Believe it or not after going to around 50 Bama games, I have not been to one since my wonderful pop passed away 15 years ago. We always went together and it just doesn't seem the same. Roll Tide Roll! Tom

RedDog
05-01-2008, 07:17 AM
Read and Weep Bama dogs!

Coach Phil Fulmer's life time record vs Bama: 14 - 4 which includes 3 - 0 as a player

yes - 14 to 4. ha ha haaaaaaa!

GO VOLS!

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23409&d=1156380991

RedDog
05-01-2008, 07:53 AM
Back to the question at hand - there is a really nice restaurant at Concord Marina. This is about half-way between Ft Loudon Dam and Volunteer Landing. I think it is called Lakeside Tavern.

contact me and I'll rendezvous with you

cutwater
05-01-2008, 08:15 AM
Back to the question at hand - there is a really nice restaurant at Concord Marina. This is about half-way between Ft Loudon Dam and Volunteer Landing. I think it is called Lakeside Tavern.

+1 on Lakeside Tavern, I go there about once/week by boat during the summer with friends.

There is also BridgeView Grill (also at Volunteer Landing) right next to the stadium and you can dock your boat there. Food is not consistently good, though.

Knoxville is about 98% chain restaurants, but fortunately most of the ones accessible by boat are good local joints.

vonkamp - Chesapeake's is still there and doing well.

2biguns
05-01-2008, 08:53 AM
Thanks, guys. I'm about to head to divorce court (for my client, not ME!!!) so no time to post.
Yes, we are now 4. Mattie Cooper Smith joined us 1/15/07, thus my scant postings as of late. She is everything her big sister, Stella, was not. With Stella, we never locked the first cabinet. Could just sit her in the middle of the room with a toy and she'd play for hours. Mattie, on the other hand, can take the child locks off the cabinets.
A buddy told me when we were pregnant with Mattie that having 2 is not twice as hard as having 1. I told him what a relief that was because I was worried how I would stand up to having a baby at 45 and I was glad it was not that much tougher. He laughed and explained that having 2 is not twice as hard, it's more like 5 times as hard. He wasn't lying.
Here's the sisters on a good day:
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35749&stc=1&d=1209649774
Now, look at what Mattie can do with a bottle of milk:
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35750&stc=1&d=1209649774
For you Vol fans, I guess I don't need to drive my weekend vehicle:
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35751&stc=1&d=1209649774

2biguns
05-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Read and Weep Bama dogs!
Coach Phil Fulmer's life time record vs Bama: 14 - 4 which includes 3 - 0 as a player
yes - 14 to 4. ha ha haaaaaaa!

Can't pass up the chance to point out that the fat one was also 1-1 against the great and mighty MIKE SHULA who, without a doubt, has to be the worst coach ever to grace the crimson sidelines. Nice guy. Hot wife. Wanna-be coach and terrible talent evaluator as evidenced by the fact that for the first time since 1970, Alabama had ZERO players drafted in this year's NFL draft. People like to point to Saban's discipline problems but fail to recognize that these are Shula recruits who are getting in all the trouble.

Also, we (downtrodden Alabama fans) find hope in the fact that as at Bama, Coach Saban is 1-0 against Fulmer.

Now. Back to boating. We definitely will go and find the lakeside restaurant on Saturday, weather permitting. Like I said, usually on Saturday we try to consolidate a bit and have several pile into the bigger boats. I can comfortably carry 10 to 12 in my 280SS and will also have a 29ZF and a couple of Cobalt bow riders (a 272 and I think a 282). Our long-time leader has a 25' Grady White walkabout also which helps with a crowd.

Now I've just got to go to the bank and make sure there's room on the equity line to buy gas :shocking:

cutwater
05-01-2008, 11:10 AM
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=4275882758020149947,35.864560,-84.130043&saddr=euchee+marina&daddr=35.865161,-84.129696&sll=35.8501,-84.124718&sspn=0.14248,0.304184&ie=UTF8&ll=35.7805,-84.415512&spn=0.285209,0.608368&t=h&z=11

Map to Lakeside Tavern from Euchee Marina - It's right where the second marker is, it's just not shown because that map picture is old.

RedDog
05-01-2008, 11:17 AM
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=4275882758020149947,35.864560,-84.130043&saddr=euchee+marina&daddr=35.865161,-84.129696&sll=35.8501,-84.124718&sspn=0.14248,0.304184&ie=UTF8&ll=35.7805,-84.415512&spn=0.285209,0.608368&t=h&z=11

Map to Lakeside Tavern from Euchee Marina - It's right where the second marker is, it's just not shown because that map picture is old.

John - that's too cruel to give Bama fans a boat route like that. They're going to ruin the bottom sides of their hulls! :rlol::rlol::rlol::rlol:

cutwater
05-01-2008, 11:33 AM
John - that's too cruel to give Bama fans a boat route like that. They're going to ruin the bottom sides of their hulls! :rlol::rlol::rlol::rlol:

Yeah, but it's nothing Bear Bryant couldn't fix.

Uh-oh... I can see my rep points dropping by the minute :doh:

2biguns
05-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Yeah, but it's nothing Bear Bryant couldn't fix.

Uh-oh... I can see my rep points dropping by the minute :doh:

Now, now. Can't we all just get along? Just so you know, my co-captain for the trip is of all things an AUBURN GRADUATE. If I can bear a day on the water with him, I can stand anything :hangum:

Donzi Vol
05-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Be easy on my little nephew, DONZI VOL while you are there. All I could have influence on him about over the years was the water and Donzi's, not his choice in football teams. You know little nephew your older brother was 12 years old before he knew what it was for Tennesee to win a game over Alabama. Poor kid, Hmmm?

haha. yep, I remember. I believe I still owe a few oil changes and car washes to the fam down there.

Donzi Racer
05-01-2008, 09:53 PM
haha. yep, I remember. I believe I still owe a few oil changes and car washes to the fam down there.

Yea, I almost forgot about those.

I believe we should have a barrel back in knoxville by then. Yep might just make that little get together. The Racing Foolish Boy, Tom

PS Vol fans might get a kick out of this one. After selling my 16 baby Donzi the month i was getting married in 1976, since I could not afford it and a new wife too, I looked for over 10 years for another Donzi. Finally found a lovely 1976 X-18 in near Mint Cond. and was so pleased to see it was Red and White just like the ole Crimson Tide. Well after I bought the boat from a man that sure did not want to sell her, attested by the fact that he did not cash the check for over 30 days, I took off my sunglasses, you know those old BLUEBLOCKER ones and it makes colors look different with them on since it does not let Blue colors in and well, the boat was not exactly Red & White, it was you guessed it, ORANGE and white! Yipes Batman Lookey what I done gone and bought? A Tennesee Boat. Kept that boat for over 10 years. I know my nephew would have loved to have that little Donzi. I knew the boat was supposed to be mine though, it was already named. ROSE's THORN, and you guessed it again, my wife of 31 years is named after that wondeful flower. And Man was it a Thorn in her side! haha Thought some of the Tennesee guys would enjoy that. hahaahahahaha T

Donzi Vol
05-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Yeah, I think we should try to make that run in Knox. Hopefully some of the other Knox guys will be down for it as well.

And yes, I remember the Thorn quite well. I recall cruising down the river at dusk, you driving with Michael and myself securely in our life vests in the back (mom would have it NO other way). I have to admit that I was a little heart broken when I heard that you sold her a few years back. I always hoped I could talk you out of her for a summer trip to TN. But I guess a triple hatch is a good sub :):):)

2biguns
06-03-2008, 01:44 PM
9 boats, 40 boaters and 1 reluctant landlubber (my wife, Amy) made the trek to Knoxville this past weekend. Due to a shortage of babysitters and my very pregnant sister, Amy elected to drive up Friday then leave at the crack of dawn Sunday and drive back to Cullman. It was a great trip.

We trailered up to Euchee Marina on the shores of Watts Bar Lake on Thursday. 220 miles from Cullman and about 70 miles north of Chattanooga on I-75. Because of a rather shallow and steep ramp, the Grady White and I decided to launch our boats at a nearby public launch and get a wet slip Thursday night. Euchee has some very nice accomodations for boats and has a neat 2 story set of cabins and floating cabins. Our planning committee elected to stay in Athens, TN at an Econo Lodge on the interstate. I think if we return to Euchee, we'll all just stay on the water.

We launched the rest of the boats Friday am and headed to open water at 0900. It's around 60 miles to Fort Loudon Lock & Dam and thanks to the boating gods, we were able to sneak in ahead of a red-flagged barge which would have tied us up for an extra 3.5 hours. After a quick 70 foot lift in the lock, we stopped for lunch and let some of the group with smaller tanks gas up then headed on the last 50 miles or so to Knoxville.

Vol Landing at Knoxville is an outstanding facility. Joe Cornelius and his staff were exceptional and accomodated our every need including hauling several of the group up the hill to the Mariott.

On Saturday, we boated to the head of the Tennessee River then continued up the French Broad to check out the Sea Ray plant. What a great facility. Got to see a new 350 Sundancer which must have been newly delivered or was being demo'd.
Sunday morning we woke to a pretty good thunderstorm which resulted in a lottery to find out who would get to ride home with Amy and who had salt in their veins. She had announced Saturday that her ride was heading south at 0700 and anyone who wanted in better be waiting. She held true to her word and found 3 willing riders. The rest of us held off to see what the storm would do (plus the lock did not open until 1000 so no need to get there too early). The stormed moved through and we had good weather through the lock. Unfortunately we caught up with the storm 20 miles downstream from the lock. My first mate's wife saw the wall of rain and decided to take her book and camp out in the cuddy for some light reading and a nap while we faced the storm and tried to spot the channel. The rain let up before we arrived at Euchee and the sun came out to assist us with loading the boats and the long drive home.

All in all it was a fun time for everyone and a great chance to get away from Smith Lake and see the rest of the country. Nothing like a good river run to break the monotony of weekend boating. Only downside was seeing that damned color of orange everywhere we turned:nilly::nilly::nilly:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36443&stc=1&d=1212518558

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36444&stc=1&d=1212518558

RedDog
06-03-2008, 05:11 PM
Sorry I missed you. My original plan was to get out on the river and track you down on Saturday - I had your trip marked in my calendar. However, my boat is broken so I mowed the grass instead.....:hangum:

Hopefully I'll be back on the water Saturday - Monday at the latest.

PS - that is a great picture in front of Neyland Stadium! It's great to see a bunch of 'Bama fans converted to Volunteers

Donzi Vol
06-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Hate that I missed you guys. I ate dessert down at Calhoun's Saturday night...I guess something was just drawing me there. Didn't see any boats, though:confused:

And yes, the Power T looks GREAT behind you all! hehe.

The Hedgehog
06-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Sorry I missed you. My original plan was to get out on the river and track you down on Saturday - I had your trip marked in my calendar. However, my boat is broken so I mowed the grass instead.....:hangum:
Hopefully I'll be back on the water Saturday - Monday at the latest.
PS - that is a great picture in front of Neyland Stadium! It's great to see a bunch of 'Bama fans converted to Volunteers

Not sure if the Bama fan conversion is possible!:hangum:

Hanging out on the water in Vol country beats hanging out on the plains in Auburn any day though.:smash:

RedDog
06-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Hanging out on the water in Vol country beats hanging out on the plains in Auburn any day though.:smash:

Yep - that is what I keep telling McLamb. I even got him to join the Vol Navy last season

2biguns
06-05-2008, 06:51 AM
We had our group supper @ Calhouns on Friday. After a LONG day on the water it was just what the doctor ordered. Someone told us we had to try the cream spinach. I laughed at them until I tried it.

Saturday we ate at a little Irish place (O'Sullivans?). I think I now know what "gay street" means!

Where the heck is all the money coming from in and around Knoxville? There were houses on the right descending bank that were bigger than the Cullman Civic Center. We've boated to a lot of destinations but with the exception of Ono Island, I don't think I've ever seen SO MANY tremendously huge homes. Heck, at home, adding a deck to the double-wide means you've hit the big time:bonk:

As for converting, Amy saved me. We were lining up the boats to take the picture in front of the stadium and I was about to get queazy when she called from the road to check on us. One good blast from my "Yea Alabama" cell phone ring tone brought me back to life! Have to admit that TN folks got it right when the picked the local for the stadium and basketball arena. Best we've got in Tuscaloosa is the Black Warrior but would only get about 10 boats tied to each other before hitting the other bank.

The Hedgehog
06-05-2008, 08:20 AM
We had our group supper @ Calhouns on Friday. After a LONG day on the water it was just what the doctor ordered. Someone told us we had to try the cream spinach. I laughed at them until I tried it.
Saturday we ate at a little Irish place (O'Sullivans?). I think I now know what "gay street" means!
Where the heck is all the money coming from in and around Knoxville? There were houses on the right descending bank that were bigger than the Cullman Civic Center. We've boated to a lot of destinations but with the exception of Ono Island, I don't think I've ever seen SO MANY tremendously huge homes. Heck, at home, adding a deck to the double-wide means you've hit the big time:bonk:
As for converting, Amy saved me. We were lining up the boats to take the picture in front of the stadium and I was about to get queazy when she called from the road to check on us. One good blast from my "Yea Alabama" cell phone ring tone brought me back to life! Have to admit that TN folks got it right when the picked the local for the stadium and basketball arena. Best we've got in Tuscaloosa is the Black Warrior but would only get about 10 boats tied to each other before hitting the other bank.

Yes, all we are able to do is raft up a bunch of RV's and they are starting to sell memberships for that now!

At least Red is prettier than international hazard orange!

RedDog
06-05-2008, 09:58 PM
At least Red is prettier than international hazard orange!

International orange! Yet another 'bama bumpin' that knows nothing about tradition and history...

"The school colors of orange & white date to April 12,1889, when Charles Moore, president of the University's athletic association, chose the colors for the first field day. His inspiration came from the orange and white daisies which grew profusely on the Hill. In 1891, students again wore orange and white to the Sewanee football game."

2biguns
06-06-2008, 06:52 AM
International orange! Yet another 'bama bumpin' that knows nothing about tradition and history...

"The school colors of orange & white date to April 12,1889, when Charles Moore, president of the University's athletic association, chose the colors for the first field day. His inspiration came from the orange and white daisies which grew profusely on the Hill. In 1891, students again wore orange and white to the Sewanee football game."
Well, dadgum. You learn something new every day. We were always told that they picked out that color of orange so the fans could wear it to ball games on Saturday and then on Monday, they could go to work and pick up trash off the sides of the road.:shocking: (you've got to admit that it's funny).
ALL IN GOOD FUN. YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!

The Hedgehog
06-06-2008, 05:11 PM
Well, dadgum. You learn something new every day. We were always told that they picked out that color of orange so the fans could wear it to ball games on Saturday and then on Monday, they could go to work and pick up trash off the sides of the road.:shocking: (you've got to admit that it's funny).
ALL IN GOOD FUN. YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!

It is pretty funny.

You gotta watch your P's and Q's up here. They are VERY serious about doling out those orange vests!:eek!:

2biguns
06-07-2008, 06:49 AM
Since we are this far off topic anyway, answer me this:

Does Knoxville allow golf carts on the roads/pathways? Every big boat at Vol Landing had a berth set aside for a very nice golf cart and the girls at Vol Landing helped haul us up the hill in one.

For a while they were all the rage in Tuscaloosa. Folks were paying some big money to make them street legal. Then, Vera Britt (mom of UA football players Wesley, Taylor & Justin) fell off one and suffered a severe brain injury. I think that they have now banned them from the roads.

RedDog
06-07-2008, 07:29 AM
Since we are this far off topic anyway, answer me this:
Does Knoxville allow golf carts on the roads/pathways? Every big boat at Vol Landing had a berth set aside for a very nice golf cart and the girls at Vol Landing helped haul us up the hill in one.
For a while they were all the rage in Tuscaloosa. Folks were paying some big money to make them street legal. Then, Vera Britt (mom of UA football players Wesley, Taylor & Justin) fell off one and suffered a severe brain injury. I think that they have now banned them from the roads.

Not that I know of. They are probably just used to get up and down the hill between the parking lot and the docks.