PDA

View Full Version : Best paint stripper?

The Hedgehog
04-30-2008, 11:19 AM
What is the best paint stripper (that I can easily get)? I need to strip the paint off the hood on my CJ7. I plan to take it off the jeep to do this.

mrfixxall
04-30-2008, 11:32 AM
What is the best paint stripper (that I can easily get)? I need to strip the paint off the hood on my CJ7. I plan to take it off the jeep to do this.

Tailstrip aircraft paint remover,,,is the best!!!! ive seen it take off 3 layers of paint.. you can get at autozone or advanced auto parts,get the brush on and apply a heavy coat..Dont get it on your skin tho it hurts like hell:wink:

The Hedgehog
04-30-2008, 11:45 AM
Thanks Fix!

Any trick to cleaning up after this stuff. I would imagin that it would kill the heck out of my yard so sitting the hood down in the yard on some refrigerator box and going to town is a no-no.

MOP
04-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Have you considered a side arm grinder, it will do the job fairly quick. The other option is if you have a metal shop in your area, let them blast it off. Blasting leaves a great tooth for the primer and paint to grab onto.

The Hedgehog
04-30-2008, 12:01 PM
Have you considered a side arm grinder, it will do the job fairly quick. The other option is if you have a metal shop in your area, let them blast it off. Blasting leaves a great tooth for the primer and paint to grab onto.

I am kicking around a couple of ideas. I probably got a guy down the road that could do it pretty cheap. He has a body shop. The problem is that if I take it to him I will just have him do the whole thing. I know that that will be way too easy (and probably cheaper too) but I kind of wanted to do it myself. It is an offroad 4X4 so it does not need to look good.

Kirbyvv
04-30-2008, 12:18 PM
Not quite a boat topic, but I'm getting slowly geared up to do a complete body off restoration of a '78 CJ7. I bought it new in the fall of '77. It's been parked in the barn since 1990 when the tranny went. 304 ci V8, turn it over a few times per year. Someday the '78 CJ7 may pull the '78 X-18. What do you have there hedgehog?

BUIZILLA
04-30-2008, 12:18 PM
Klean Strip, aircraft remover

brush it on, watch it bubble

scrape it off with a razor blade

your done

zelatore
04-30-2008, 01:31 PM
Probably about the same stuff as recomended above, but I used to us a product called AeroStrip.

Same thing - brush it on, watch it bubble, scrape it off.

Works on almost everything.

And get some rubber gloves - that stuff burns like he!! if you get it on your skin!

The Hedgehog
04-30-2008, 01:50 PM
Not quite a boat topic, but I'm getting slowly geared up to do a complete body off restoration of a '78 CJ7. I bought it new in the fall of '77. It's been parked in the barn since 1990 when the tranny went. 304 ci V8, turn it over a few times per year. Someday the '78 CJ7 may pull the '78 X-18. What do you have there hedgehog?

87 CJ with 35's. Unfortunately no v-8 but I do have he low gears. It is built for the backwoods of the Cumberland Plateau. I would not want to tow my X-18 with it though.

mrfixxall
04-30-2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks Fix!
Any trick to cleaning up after this stuff. I would imagin that it would kill the heck out of my yard so sitting the hood down in the yard on some refrigerator box and going to town is a no-no.

what i have done in the past was apply the paint remover on with a paint brush and then take the part to your local di it your self car wash and pressure washed off..also make sure you mask off the outter edge of the hood with masking tape,its a pain in the ass to strip the sides of the hood all the little nooks and crannys takes forever:)

If you plan on blasting it off then make sure they dont get to close to the metal serface or it will warp,media dlast or baking soda blasting is usually the best with no warpage..

MOP
04-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Easy Off oven cleaner works very well also no brushing but it also can be as messy as the rest, I like the car wash idea do it right there!

The Hedgehog
04-30-2008, 03:51 PM
what i have done in the past was apply the paint remover on with a paint brush and then take the part to your local di it your self car wash and pressure washed off..also make sure you mask off the outter edge of the hood with masking tape,its a pain in the ass to strip the sides of the hood all the little nooks and crannys takes forever:)
If you plan on blasting it off then make sure they dont get to close to the metal serface or it will warp,media dlast or baking soda blasting is usually the best with no warpage..

:salute: Thumbs up on the car wash idea! Good thinking. I will do that.

It should all come off pretty easy. Heck, I can pressure wash some of it off already. Thankfully the rest of the jeep is in good shape.

mrfixxall
04-30-2008, 03:56 PM
:salute: Thumbs up on the car wash idea! Good thinking. I will do that.
It should all come off pretty easy. Heck, I can pressure wash some of it off already. Thankfully the rest of the jeep is in good shape.

By the way! make sure its above 70 degrees,paint remover dont like to work in the cold..oo ya ! do it at night when nobody is their it can get kinda messy with the pain flying:biggrin.: