PDA

View Full Version : Zeiger Industries Full Hyd Steering Project 22c

Air 22
04-30-2008, 08:58 AM
Well after many searches I went with ZEIGER INDUSTRIES Full Hydraulic System the same company DONZI uses on their boats. After seeing the 22C Shelby Edition I preferred that setup:cool:
Let me say first that Paul Everett@ZEIGER(877-621-7770) http://www.everettperformance.com/ and Bill @ Diamond Performance in DE(302-521-0123) http://www.diamondperformanceparts.com stands behind their product. I experienced first hand their customer service and its A+++:thumbsup::thumbsup:. They always answerd the phone were very helpful, and shipped needed parts overnight with minimum notice....no questions asked on their end.." you need it we'll send it" is how they treat you!!:wink:
Second..this project is not difficult provided you have the right tools..ITS ALL ABOUT HAVING THE RIGHT TOOLS!!:smash:
1/2 socket's as an example...lol. My hat has to go off to my Brother in Covert Operations BRAVO ONE..aka Bob Haver...without him I'd still be on this project:eek!: He pointed out all the required tools I needed to complete the project correctly and assisted me the entire way:alky::drinkbeer: with a beer in one hand of course...all kidding aside BRAVO ONE is a great guy and a true friend to help me out...DR. Dan also assisted one day of the project bringing with him RAIN and his new F250 with Donzi in tow...we had planned to "Run" but the weather had other ideas..:eek!::smash::tase:
The directions are included with each system. It can be done in one day with a crew of two. Its a straight fwd project that you learn a great deal from not only in the system but your boat as well. I tested the boat yesterday..It's handeling was incredible. HYD STEERING is AWSOME and I highly recommend it if you are considering the project. SAFETY First for me and the feel of the boat now is much tighter and more stable. I could take my hand off the wheel in flat water @ 72gps and and it was solid. From 60gps chop the throttle..tracks straight...no wake tracks straight. HYD Steering is old news for some but to me now the boat handles much better and feels much more stable in all phases of operation.:wink::wink:
I gained approx 2mph 74gps..on flat water.. full tank of fuel. Now that the old steering system isn't waddleing back and forth the drive is straight and true= less friction and in my case a gain 2mph. I'm looking fwd to running in better wave conditions to really test the system and "AIR" it out!!:thumbsup:
Thanks again BRAVO ONE!! I'll be sure to assist you when the time comes for your HYD SYS install:wink::beer:

bob haver
04-30-2008, 10:24 AM
dude you are making blush:kingme: nice comment with the beer :beer::drunk::hangum: but it doe's takes the edge off working with you :fire:(just kidding):popcorn:i had a great time and would do it all over again its a nice system and the people who you purchased the product from are a#1 I will be installing that very same system:cool:

gcarter
04-30-2008, 10:24 AM
Looks really good! :eek!:
However, is the "template" used for drilling the transom furnished w/the kit?
Could you post some pics of the reservoir, pump, and filter????

Please??

Sam
04-30-2008, 10:49 AM
Nice report, it looks like your canine assistants had everything under control :wink:.

Pismo
04-30-2008, 11:06 AM
Looks great, how many hoses to the dash?

mjw930
04-30-2008, 11:27 AM

4, left to rams, right to rams, high pressure feed from pump and return

Pismo
04-30-2008, 11:38 AM
4, left to rams, right to rams, high pressure feed from pump and return

Thats what I thought as well but I only see two in the photo. Don't know how you would do it with less than 4.

Pismo
04-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Did that nice round chrome dash mounting plate come with the kit?

mjw930
04-30-2008, 12:02 PM
Thats what I thought as well but I only see two in the photo. Don't know how you would do it with less than 4.

It's hard to see but if you look close what looks to be an out of focus blur is actually the fittings behind the ones you see.

Air 22
04-30-2008, 12:02 PM
Please??

gc...The bracket template and hose mandrell i used are available from Zeiger..it is NOT included in kit but Bill at Performance let me borrow his.

Single Engine applications due not require an additional pump. Your factory power steering system is more than enough according to Zeiger...You just tie into your existing sys after removing the old steering hardware. Twin eng packages and a longer boat suggest an additional reservoir. The filter is located up behind the rear lifting ring...sorry forgot to take a pic of that.:bonk:..one comming

hope that helps....:wink:

mjw930
04-30-2008, 12:04 PM
Am I correct in assuming the '95 still has the partially cored transom like my '87?

It looks like it and it also looks like the kit fits perfectly within the cored area so no additional supporting core is needed.

Air 22
04-30-2008, 12:05 PM
Did that nice round chrome dash mounting plate come with the kit?

Had to order the 6 3/8 dash ring that Zeiger makes..The original from Donzi left 4 ugly holes. Every part you need for the project they sell...Each System has to be tailored to a specific boat...

Air 22
04-30-2008, 12:08 PM

4 hoses..3 high pressure 1 low pressure.:wink:

Air 22
04-30-2008, 12:10 PM
Nice report, it looks like your canine assistants had everything under control :wink:.

Yes the pups were a great help:wink:...especially when I found 2 missing sockets in the yard....:doh::smash:

Air 22
04-30-2008, 12:15 PM
Am I correct in assuming the '95 still has the partially cored transom like my '87?

It looks like it and it also looks like the kit fits perfectly within the cored area so no additional supporting core is needed.

The transom on the 95 is 3+ in thick around the bell housing and continues out just past the width of the exhaust tips..ie...the hyd ram brackets are bolted in the 3+in area...6 1/4inches each side of driveline center..

BUIZILLA
04-30-2008, 12:16 PM
I had a dog that swallowed a spark plug once..... couldn't figure out where it went.... found it in a sh1t pile about 3 days later :doh:

Air 22
04-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Please??

gc..here is a pic of the filter and another under dash pic of the helm/hoses:wink::cool:

mjw930
04-30-2008, 03:10 PM
One more question? How did you route and support the lines from the helm to the back?

Air 22
04-30-2008, 05:20 PM
One more question? How did you route and support the lines from the helm to the back?
mjw930
The 4 hoses run up the same area the throttle cable and main wire harness. Plenty of room. One person feeds each line at a time. I used 8ft of a 14gauge aluminum wire to fish each line thru.
I used Stainless hose clamps with the rubber insulation guard.They run from just behind the throttle mount all the way into the eng compartment about every 2 ft then every foot in the engine bay.:):)

BigGrizzly
04-30-2008, 07:41 PM
I am surprised that Zigler didn't make RED rams for you. Dwite you do nice work!

need for speed
04-30-2008, 08:19 PM
Very nice!! I want it too.... :smash:

Dr. Dan
04-30-2008, 08:48 PM
I am surprised that Zigler didn't make RED rams for you. Dwite you do nice work!

Yes So does Bob Haver.... amazing what a Plane Ticket and a Case of Beer can accomplish over a weekend.... maybe I should tell Crissy the "Nice Lady" and she can get Dwight to move like that all the time.:thumbsup:

Looks really good, I saw the System first hand, during a "Momentary Lapse In Reason" when I road tripped down there to see the Bravo Brothers....

The hardware was stout and very heavy duty, I was really impressed, Dwight is still the uglier one of the Bravo Brothers and Crissy learned how nice it was to have a "Country Gentleman" around the house... made it tough for me, I had to leave so I could get a 3 Funnel Cloud Enema on the Drive Home :drive: man am I a dumbshtick!

All in all I had a great time, Dwight even let me sleep indoors this time.... good thing cuz I gained some weight and couldn't fit in the Tree House in the Swing Set out back anymore.... problem was the damn Dogs kept farting all night in the Kennel:toilet: and they would not give up the Cushion to lay on so it was an adventure for sure.:odie:

Crissy is a Saint to put up with all 3 of us .... but deserves a Noble Peace Price for tolerating the Cadillac SUV Driving, Revlon Fixated, LED Light obsessed, Jet Flyin, Lake George Born, Denver Bronco Fan rootin, good looking offspring makin, Retriever Dog raising, Cat displaced moving, BBQ Grill Buying, Donzi Owner in Johnny Revlon. :salute:

Whew, I need a Drink after that ... :alky:

Doc of Ridiculous Rantings and Insignificant Explicatives :lame2:

Air 22
04-30-2008, 09:00 PM
"Doc of Ridiculous Rantings and Insignificant Explicatives "

OMG....LMFAO.....:wink::thumbsup:

Hey...Next time you visit... leave me the damn Lebanon Bologna will ya Road King:drive::tase:

Trueser
05-01-2008, 07:12 AM
What kind of oil do they require? WPM required Hydraulic power steering not ATF. They claim that ATF does not have all the correct lubing properties.

Looks great....

undertaker
05-01-2008, 07:14 AM
Dwight looks great.....that is the next upgrade for my boat....see ya in Lake George...

Undertaker:)

undertaker
05-01-2008, 07:17 AM
Yes So does Bob Haver.... amazing what a Plane Ticket and a Case of Beer can accomplish over a weekend.... maybe I should tell Crissy the "Nice Lady" and she can get Dwight to move like that all the time.:thumbsup:
Looks really good, I saw the System first hand, during a "Momentary Lapse In Reason" when I road tripped down there to see the Bravo Brothers....
The hardware was stout and very heavy duty, I was really impressed, Dwight is still the uglier one of the Bravo Brothers and Crissy learned how nice it was to have a "Country Gentleman" around the house... made it tough for me, I had to leave so I could get a 3 Funnel Cloud Enema on the Drive Home :drive: man am I a dumbshtick!
All in all I had a great time, Dwight even let me sleep indoors this time.... good thing cuz I gained some weight and couldn't fit in the Tree House in the Swing Set out back anymore.... problem was the damn Dogs kept farting all night in the Kennel:toilet: and they would not give up the Cushion to lay on so it was an adventure for sure.:odie:
Crissy is a Saint to put up with all 3 of us .... but deserves a Noble Peace Price for tolerating the Cadillac SUV Driving, Revlon Fixated, LED Light obsessed, Jet Flyin, Lake George Born, Denver Bronco Fan rootin, good looking offspring makin, Retriever Dog raising, Cat displaced moving, BBQ Grill Buying, Donzi Owner in Johnny Revlon. :salute:

Doc you are seriously ILL:smash::smash:....next time you get a bright idea to roadtrip to Dwights TAKE YOUR COVER:nilly::nilly::nilly::hyper:

Listen for your cell phone to ring this afternoon, this weekend we might get the boat wet:propeller::propeller:

Undertaker:pimp:

Air 22
05-01-2008, 07:46 AM
What kind of oil do they require? WPM required Hydraulic power steering not ATF. They claim that ATF does not have all the correct lubing properties.
Looks great....

They require hyd power steering fluid.:wink:.MY 502 obviously is GM... so I had to use about a gallon of GM approved Power Steering fluid to bleed the entire sys. They Bleeding takes two people... one on the wheel turning until wheel is very difficult to turn and one bleeding at the same side ram..ie turn the wheel to the right...bleed the right ram...all in all a easy process..:beer::thumbsup:

Air 22
05-01-2008, 07:48 AM
Dwight looks great.....that is the next upgrade for my boat....see ya in Lake George...
Undertaker:)

Thanks Ed...You will Not be dissapointed...:wink:

hot shot
05-01-2008, 08:09 AM
Air 22 Nice set up.... I an installing the same system on my 22 and your right paul everett is one hell of a guy and very smart, i am also installing a raylar kit and cmi's i will post some pic's of it see you guys at aoth and lake george Mick

Air 22
05-01-2008, 08:13 AM
Hot Shot..thanks...your set-up sounds awsome:thumbsup:..cant wait to see her run!!:drive:

bob haver
05-01-2008, 08:15 AM
:cool:

doc anytime you want to:drive: drive to NY and make breakfast i will break out the pink sheets with the blueish green pillows (just for you):smash: awesome breakfast dude:cool:

Pismo
05-01-2008, 08:24 AM
Did the hoses come cut to length with the ends on?

undertaker
05-01-2008, 08:36 AM
Air 22 Nice set up.... I an installing the same system on my 22 and your right paul everett is one hell of a guy and very smart, i am also installing a raylar kit and cmi's i will post some pic's of it see you guys at aoth and lake george Mick

Mick are you going to have all your upgrades done by AOTH, I am drooling to see your set up....:propeller::propeller:

Air 22
05-01-2008, 12:44 PM
Did the hoses come cut to length with the ends on?

The External HYD Hoses 4...2 on each ram came assembled...the other hose came in a 65ft length. You have to cut the hose(Hack saw that will cut Stainless high pressure hose) and put the enclosed Hyd end fittings on. You will need a mandrell tool to install the supplies fittings on the hose ends. Also a 13/16 wrench, 3/4 wrench and a 5/8 wrench/socket to properly drive the mandrell into the hose and install the fittings. Easy with the right tools!!!:smash::cool:

Mr X
05-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Dwight,
looks nice!! Zieger makes top of the line equipment, I opted for the stainless tilting helm on my boat.

undertaker
05-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Dwight,
looks nice!! Zieger makes top of the line equipment, I opted for the stainless tilting helm on my boat.

Ted, are you putting a Zieger system on your ILMOR boat??

Air 22
05-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Ted, are you putting a Zieger system on your ILMOR boat??

Ed...this will answer your question...keep up will ya...:smash::wink: lol

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35534&d=1208911131

Air 22
05-01-2008, 04:58 PM
Dwight,

Ted...Thanks.... I was very impressed by Zieger's Quality, Workmanship and Durability:thumbsup:...I understand why Donzi uses them!!:wink:

Diamond Performance
05-01-2008, 05:45 PM
Well after many searches I went with ZEIGER INDUSTRIES Full Hydraulic System the same company DONZI uses on their boats. After seeing the 22C Shelby Edition I preferred that setup:cool:

Let me say first that Paul Everett@ZEIGER(877-621-7770) http://www.everettperformance.com/ and Bill @ Diamond Performance in MD(302-521-0123) http://www.diamondperformanceparts.com stands behind their product. I experienced first hand their customer service and its A+++:thumbsup::thumbsup:. They always answerd the phone were very helpful, and shipped needed parts overnight with minimum notice....no questions asked on their end.." you need it we'll send it" is how they treat you!!:wink:

Second..this project is not difficult provided you have the right tools..ITS ALL ABOUT HAVING THE RIGHT TOOLS!!:smash:
1/2 socket's as an example...lol. My hat has to go off to my Brother in Covert Operations BRAVO ONE..aka Bob Haver...without him I'd still be on this project:eek!: He pointed out all the required tools I needed to complete the project correctly and assisted me the entire way:alky::drinkbeer: with a beer in one hand of course...all kidding aside BRAVO ONE is a great guy and a true friend to help me out...DR. Dan also assisted one day of the project bringing with him RAIN and his new F250 with Donzi in tow...we had planned to "Run" but the weather had other ideas..:eek!::smash::tase:

The directions are included with each system. It can be done in one day with a crew of two. Its a straight fwd project that you learn a great deal from not only in the system but your boat as well. I tested the boat yesterday..It's handeling was incredible. HYD STEERING is AWSOME and I highly recommend it if you are considering the project. SAFETY First for me and the feel of the boat now is much tighter and more stable. I could take my hand off the wheel in flat water @ 72gps and and it was solid. From 60gps chop the throttle..tracks straight...no wake tracks straight. HYD Steering is old news for some but to me now the boat handles much better and feels much more stable in all phases of operation.:wink::wink:
I gained approx 2mph 74gps..on flat water.. full tank of fuel. Now that the old steering system isn't waddleing back and forth the drive is straight and true= less friction and in my case a gain 2mph. I'm looking fwd to running in better wave conditions to really test the system and "AIR" it out!!:thumbsup:

Thanks again BRAVO ONE!! I'll be sure to assist you when the time comes for your HYD SYS install:wink::beer:

Dwight, thanks for the good words, the boat looks great and good job on the Steering install! Bill

Diamond Performance
05-01-2008, 05:52 PM
Dwight, thanks for the good words. The boat looks great and good job on the Steering install. Bill

catch 22
05-01-2008, 09:31 PM
Dwight, the system really looks good. How many hours to install? I'll tell you the reason why I'm asking about the hours someday. Nice Job.:yes::yes:

Air 22
05-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Dwight, the system really looks good. How many hours to install? I'll tell you the reason why I'm asking about the hours someday. Nice Job.:yes::yes:

Jim...Thanks...:cool: It took between 10-12 hrs:doh::hangum:...should of been 8hrs or so....It all about the tools...lol:smash::wink:

Pismo
05-02-2008, 06:57 AM
If you had to do the exact job again it would probably take you 4 hours or less.

hot shot
05-02-2008, 08:13 AM
undertaker yes i plann to get there on wed to get a little seat time we will be installing the motor monday cant wait to see you and your father mick

undertaker
05-02-2008, 08:38 AM
Ed...this will answer your question...keep up will ya...:smash::wink: lol
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35534&d=1208911131

DUH:bonk::bonk::bonk: I guess I should check that thread more often....:nilly::nilly:

undertaker
05-02-2008, 08:40 AM
undertaker yes i plann to get there on wed to get a little seat time we will be installing the motor monday cant wait to see you and your father mick

COOL :propeller::propeller: see ya in then.....

Brian41
05-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Heres the steering, Eddie tabs, CMI, Raylar kit and ton of bling I am doing on Hot shot

undertaker
05-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Looks nice.....he does like the bling:):)

Dr. Dan
05-03-2008, 09:17 AM
Heres the steering, Eddie tabs, CMI, Raylar kit and ton of bling I am doing on Hot shot

:hijack: Hey Brian and Mick.... just a suggestion...but so more people can learn about your "Skunk Works" why don't you start another Thread on Raylar 496 Conversions.... there are hundreds of guys that would love to learn about this... and having it buried under Dwight's Steering Thread :lame2: doesn't do it justice.

Plus people get excited when there is a sudden turn in the context of "their thread"... :tase:

BTW looks great... can't wait to read more about it....

Thanks In Advance

Doc of Random Clothing and Sundries :clap:

BigGrizzly
05-03-2008, 11:39 AM
Hot Shot you copied my exhaust tips. What a compliment. Nice boat. You realy need to start a new thread on this, there are many interested parties and you can save people money by letti ng them in on what you found.

Air 22
05-03-2008, 12:46 PM
A pic of the End Cap Hardware..:cool:

undertaker
05-04-2008, 08:17 AM
A pic of the End Cap Hardware..:cool:

Dwight NICE end cap hardware:):):):smash:

Carl C
05-07-2008, 08:51 AM
Dwight, looks awesome. I think that steering will be the next major mod for my boat. Would you mind saying how much you paid for the kit? Were there any other expenses? How much weight do you think you added to the boat?

Air 22
05-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Dwight, looks awesome. I think that steering will be the next major mod for my boat. Would you mind saying how much you paid for the kit? Were there any other expenses? How much weight do you think you added to the boat?
Carl...Thanks...You will be very happy with the hyd steering...its one of the safest things u can do to your boat considering the speeds its capable of..:) I wanted to be prepared for my next project and hyd steering was the first step.:cool:
The extra's u will need are power steering fluid, 5200 or similar sealent, Anti-Seize for nuts/bolts, a transom mount bracket template and hose mandrell
(Both sold at Zeiger) finally the tools...like I said in the 1st post its all about having the right tools:smash:...ie many wrenches 1/2in socket drivers deep sockets, air tools etc and the list goes on...its a 4k system plus shipping and worth every penny!:) The weight gain was minimal as it was traded for removal of the old sys..maybe 60-70lb gain in weight..Hope this helps...like buying a car... there are many good hyd sys out there ...I went with Zeiger for several reasons as I listed earlier..what ever brand u go with I'm sure you will be happy. My first hand experience with Zeiger's customer service is that its Outstanding!!!:):thumbsup:

Carl C
05-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Carl...Thanks...You will be very happy with the hyd steering...its one of the safest things u can do to your boat considering the speeds its capable of..:) I wanted to be prepared for my next project and hyd steering was the first step.

The extra's u will need are power steering fluid, 5200 or similar sealent, Anti-Seize for nuts/bolts, a transom mount bracket template and hose mandrell
(Both sold at Zeiger) finally the tools...like I said in the 1st post its all about having the right tools...ie many wrenches 1/2in socket drivers deep sockets, air tools etc and the list goes on...its a 4k system plus shipping and worth every penny!:) Hope this helps...like buying a car... there are many good hyd sys out there ...I went with Zeiger for several reasons as I listed earlier..what ever brand u go with I'm sure you will be happy. My first hand experience with Zeiger's customer service is that its Outstanding!!!:) Thanks. 4G is reasonable. Tools? I've got more tools than Carter has little liver pills. I may be able to work that into the budget this winter. I'd like to do the steering and maybe a shorty before thinking about the engine.

hot shot
05-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Dwight: i just water tested mine this week end and that steering is a dream, I have been watching your thread and liked what i saw and it all true.. makes going fast feel safe.the guy that did my boat bought an XS system and claims he selling it to put the zieger on it the quality is sencond to none he claims... see ya soon Mick

Air 22
05-12-2008, 03:08 PM
Dwight: i just water tested mine this week end and that steering is a dream, I have been watching your thread and liked what i saw and it all true.. makes going fast feel safe.the guy that did my boat bought an XS system and claims he selling it to put the zieger on it the quality is sencond to none he claims... see ya soon Mick

Mick...Glad to hear your happy with the results:wink: Looking fwd to seeing you in LG...safe travels!!!:cool:

Air 22
05-17-2008, 09:04 PM
BTW... True Value Hardware and Fasten-All both carry many Stainless Hardware Supplies if you should need some...:smash::wink:

smallblockford
05-22-2008, 07:40 PM
guys i havnt ran these set ups what do you think should i run a single ram or double on a sweet 16 with 400hp plus i know the hull wont take it well but should i go for duel rams or is that over kill, what will the zeigler system in full cost 1900 for one rame 2900 for 2 am i close thanx

Air 22
05-22-2008, 08:13 PM
guys i havnt ran these set ups what do you think should i run a single ram or double on a sweet 16 with 400hp plus i know the hull wont take it well but should i go for duel rams or is that over kill, what will the zeigler system in full cost 1900 for one rame 2900 for 2 am i close thanx

Smallblock...for prices go to...

http://www.diamondperformanceparts.com/home.php?cat=261

Price depends on what u want to purchase an add-on sys or a full hyd sys for your boat. Single or dual ram will work fine..its up to you and the look you want on you boat:cool:. The FULL hyd sys are "Beefy" on the Classics but they are designed to cover a wide range of boats including much larger ones. Either single or dual ram is a choice you will be happy with:yes:. Call Bill at Diamond Performance and tell him what your looking for and he will help you based on your driving style and expections etc...Good luck and keep us posted on your project..I look forword to the pic's:wink:

Carl C
03-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Carl...Thanks...You will be very happy with the hyd steering...its one of the safest things u can do to your boat considering the speeds its capable of..:) I wanted to be prepared for my next project and hyd steering was the first step.:cool:
My first hand experience with Zeiger's customer service is that its Outstanding!!!:):thumbsup:

Now we know what your "next project" was! I love these tech threads. There is a lot of info here that will help me with my steering installation. So far I just have the end cap on the drive. Had to return the 97cc helm for the 120 cc one that I requested.

mrfixxall
03-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Now we know what your "next project" was! I love these tech threads. There is a lot of info here that will help me with my steering installation. So far I just have the end cap on the drive. Had to return the 97cc helm for the 120 cc one that I requested.

As long as you have the end cap off the drive see it it has the steel tower in it (top cap), if not you may want to replace it in the future..merc had problems with the older style xr drives,the tower sheered off which in return distroyed the upper gear set..

Carl C
03-20-2010, 11:55 AM
As long as you have the end cap off the drive see it it has the steel tower in it (top cap), if not you may want to replace it in the future..merc had problems with the older style xr drives,the tower sheered off which in return distroyed the upper gear set..

I think I have the old style cap. The good news is that the fluid looked like new and so did the upper gears. The new end cap is already installed. It involves drilling and tapping 2 additional holes and replacing the bolts with studs. It is stainless steel. This should be a fairly easy job but I have to juggle it with some other home projects. Should be done before long though.

Cuda
03-20-2010, 12:17 PM
I "heard" you can buy most of the stuff from Tractor Supply.