PDA

View Full Version : New F-350 and Expedition are here!.....

Donziweasel
04-30-2008, 08:39 AM
Got the new rigs yesterday. I must say, the dealer tried to mess with me on the trades, and I walked away. He called, apologized, gave me what I wanted and the rest is history.

I haven't driven Boo Boo's Expedition yet, but like the color and style.

As for the F-350, man, what a ride! The twin turbo 6.4L is quieter than a gas engine. The power is fat and it goes off the line with no turbo lag. It does not feel as strong as my 6.0L but I know why. The 6.0L was LOUD and when you hit the gas, it growled making it seem stronger than it was. I can light the rear tires up on the 6.4, something I couldn't do at this altitude with the 6.0. Buiz, you would like this engine. I think Navistar got this one right. Too bad it will be replaced in 2010 with a new diesel. It also feels bigger than my 2004 F-350 and I am sure it is taller.

So far, the only drawback is fuel mileage, a nice 14 MPG. I am sure that when it breaks in, it will get a little better, but probably not much. One other thing, the particle filter is really nice. NO black smoke or diesel smell at all. When it is running, you can't hear it. I almost tried to start it when it was running because it is so quiet. No more tunring off the engine at the drivethru to order lunch! Got a lot of gizmo's I could probably do without, but they are nice like the power folding front mirrors. Overall I give it a 9 out of 10. Would give it a 10 except for fuel mileage.

Now I juts need a nice green matching 18 Classic to put behind it.

gcarter
04-30-2008, 08:45 AM
I want you to go out and drive the EL!!!!
The ones I've seen are very impressive. I wish I had one.
Is this one a 4 X 4??

Donziweasel
04-30-2008, 09:38 AM
It is an EL 4x4 XLT fully loaded. Boo Boo is in love with it. Will try and drive it today.

mrfixxall
04-30-2008, 10:23 AM
fully loaded,,missing the moonroof!:) from what ive heard ford in going to start using the new cumming in 2010..

BUIZILLA
04-30-2008, 10:42 AM
if your getting 14 already with the 6.4, your next to God... be thankfull, that's the highest I have heard yet..

at the risk of severe ribbing, I like the EL a lot... especially the rear cargo area and overall creature comforts, without the 4x4 and 4.10 gears it 's deal breaker for me though..

Donziweasel
04-30-2008, 01:56 PM
I had the moonroof on my old F-350, never really used it. Plus, it is a $1,000 option.

14.9 to be exact on the fuel mileage. Even with the bad mileage (my old F-350 with the 6.0 got 20mpg), I still love the engine. Nice motor. Buiz, have you heard anything mechanically wrong with them since I asked you last month?

Air 22
04-30-2008, 02:10 PM
"So far, the only drawback is fuel mileage, a nice 14 MPG. I am sure that when it breaks in, it will get a little better, but probably not much".

Very Nice vehicles!!!:wink::drive::thumbsup:

The oil changes on the F-350 aint pocket change either...:doh::smash:

mrfixxall
04-30-2008, 02:36 PM
I had the moonroof on my old F-350, never really used it. Plus, it is a $1,000 option.
14.9 to be exact on the fuel mileage. Even with the bad mileage (my old F-350 with the 6.0 got 20mpg), I still love the engine. Nice motor. Buiz, have you heard anything mechanically wrong with them since I asked you last month?

When they first came out they had problems with them,my buddy had 60 yes 60 miles on it..went out to start in on a 20 deg morning and it kicked a few rods out of it(apparently coolent got into the cylinders) and left a oil stain on his new driveway and he still waiting to hear from ford about a new one?

as stated before i think its to early to tell usually all the newer diesel engines have issues that need tobe worked out...

The most common problems with the new 6.4 is the injectors, also some of my buddys customers are getting 9 mpg and they have 30,000 + miles on them plus their f350 450 550 2wd tow trucks..

your probably getting that kind of milage because of your elevation..

BUIZILLA
04-30-2008, 03:55 PM
DW, other than the initial programming burp of the regen flamouts, I haven't really heard anything bad about that engine. What I have heard is disappointing poor mileage issues from virtually everyone that owns one, if not everyone that owns them, this could also be related to the ULSD fiasco, since the 6.4 truck and the ULSD release was about the same timing, and it's no secret the ULSD cost us some power, and mileage... if you are getting 14.9 on ULSD, i'm sure Ford wants to know about it, it's probably the only truck out there that is getting that.... don't go by the roof meter either, use a calculator.. maybe yours has an updated flash that the general public doesn't have yet...

BTW, go over that truck and tell me how many places SUPER DUTY is called out... 9 is the number I hear...

mrfixxall
04-30-2008, 04:37 PM
Comparing F350 mileage to 4/550 mileage is like comparing cher to rod sterling... :eek!:

WE all know it will vary per model but as stated in the mid west their averege milage is 9 mpg wheather its a 350 or a 550

Donziweasel
04-30-2008, 05:00 PM
As I said, I didn't buy it for the mileage. I knew it wasn't good before I got it. I did measure gallons at the last fuel up vs. mileage and really am getting right at 14.8 mpg. Other than that, love the power, styling, ride and about everything.

I still can not get over how clean and quiet it is. Not a single whif of deisel.

Buiz, I did a lot of research, and other than the ecm dumping too much fuel in the particle filter on the early models, the engine seems pretty well built. No injector problems, no fuel pump problems, no turbo problems and no oil pump problems like the 6.0L. It seems they addressed the major issues and did a fine job. Also, gauranteed to start at -20 without being plugged in. The rapid supplemental cab heater is really nice-fire the truck and the cab is instantly blowing hot air.

It's a nice ride and ought to do just fine for my backcountry and towing needs.

Team Jefe
05-01-2008, 06:44 AM
Good Looking rides DW. that stuff in teh foreground of the 1st pic...is that what they call, um, Snow? I think:wink:

Donziweasel
05-01-2008, 07:51 AM
Yeah Jefe, snow. That was yesterday. Now there is 4 fresh inches in the yard from last night. Damn, I am tired of snow!

I would like to say one other thing about my truck. It actually came with some decent rubber. Most of the time when I buy new rigs, they come with some crappy tires. This one came with 20 inch rims and some decent all terrains. Glad I don't have to fork out for some nice rubber.

Donziweasel
05-01-2008, 08:26 AM
BTW- I think it was MP and I that were talking about how cool it would be to have flames firing out of your tailpipe. I guess Ford didn't see it that way.

The problem was that on the first 6.4L they put a particle filter in the exhuast. To clean this filter, the ecm would occasionally dump some raw fuel into it to burn it out. The first run they were dumping too much fuel too often causing flames to shoot out of the exhuast. While many thought this was cool, Ford did not. Wonder why?:hangum:

The technology has made it's way into the bus and semi industry now. I just got back from LA and while down there, I looked a a 2007 and 2008 MCI D4005 motorcoach. Both had Series 60's, but the 2008 had a particle filter. My MCI rep told me that if I idled for a long time, buy the 2007 because it did not have the particle filter. He said the particle filter is a great thing, but since it was new technology, busses that idled for long periods of time were clogging it. I will say, you could smell and see just a little diesel out of the new 2007, but with the new 2008, nothing. I even put my nose down to the exhaust and couldn't smell a damn thing when it was running. Of course this bus came with a big "Green Technology" sticker on the back.

http://www.mcicoach.com/NewCoaches/PublicCoaches/publicCommuter.htm

BUIZILLA
05-01-2008, 08:53 AM
you want some sticker shock....

price out that self cleaning trap for a *crash quote* from MCI...

I seriously doubt it's under $7,000, more like $8k and up >>

I would buy the '07 human hauler

Donziweasel
05-01-2008, 09:00 AM
Great minds think a like. I already told them I was only interested in the 2007. I idle a lot, especially in the winter when flights are delayed, etc.... Still have to keep the bus warm for thier arrival.

BTW, I could only find 6 Super Duty's on my truck, but will keep looking.

Donziweasel
05-02-2008, 10:02 AM
George, finally got the keys away from Boo Boo and took the Expedition EL for a spin. Really nice, the only thing is that I thought the brakes were a little soft. Considering it only has 150 miles on it, I figure the brakes were still seating and breaking in. Overall, nice rig.

gcarter
05-05-2008, 09:17 AM
George, finally got the keys away from Boo Boo and took the Expedition EL for a spin. Really nice, the only thing is that I thought the brakes were a little soft. Considering it only has 150 miles on it, I figure the brakes were still seating and breaking in. Overall, nice rig.
I thought you would like it. I may wait two or three years and get a used one.
My '02's brakes feel soft, but they always do the job. Never been an issue even towing or hauling seven large adults.
Maybe they design the feel that way.

Donziweasel
05-05-2008, 10:57 AM
George, the main thing is that she likes it. Hell, she hasn't even been in my truck yet and I can't get her out of her Expedition. I towed the jet boat with her Expedition yesterday and didn't even feel it back there. Solid rig.

I was talking with Buiz on the phone the other day and he said the one he drove had soft brakes as well. Must be the design.

dclassic
05-07-2008, 12:25 AM
Congrats! Nice lookin rides. Enjoy :)

Lenny
05-07-2008, 02:34 AM
My neighbour, who has more FORDS than God, (that is what he does, 50's units) and a crew, and a short 350, and an Diesel Expedition, has said to me, that the twin turbo FORD "he" ran was S H I T . Mind you , that is only his opinion, I do not know, BUT, he has a small car lot (from our standards) on his property of diesel FORDS and $150,000 50's FORDS... the personal vehicles, yhey go ... NOT a single business ride :(

He knows the difference, but not the comparisons. Just that he HATES the new one, loves the old...

Donziweasel
05-07-2008, 08:08 AM
I think he is crazy. I will say that Ford lovers really liked the 7.3 when it came out. Then they loved the 6.0L until the design flaws surfaced. Then many went looking for used 7.3's with low miles.

Having had many 7.3's and 6.0L's, I can not find one area where either engine are superior to the 6.4L other than gas mileage. It is quiter, stronger, smoother, cleaner and has the most tow capability in it's class.

Lenny, you know I have a fleet of over 45 vehicles and I am pretty vehicle savy. There are others here, like Buiz, who know more about diesels, but being a pretty good wrench, there is not one thing I don't like about the engine. Did he say what he did not like about it?

I looked at some forums, etc... and the approval rating on this motor is over 97% with mileage being the only drawback.

I have had some people I know say things like "that engine sucks", or "I heard that motor is a bad design". I ask them what is poor about the design or why the engine sucks and I get blank stares. No one has a reason why it sucks. Maybe the 6.0L left a bad taste in thier mouths, maybe they like Chevy or Dodges, hell, I don't know. Since the exhaust problem was fixed, reliability has been stellar.

Buiz, who I listen to very much when it comes to deisels, has about more expertise in the diesel industry than anyone I know and I asked nim what he had heard about it. He said nothing bad except for the gas mileage.

If anyone wants to bash it, all I ask, is give me a reason.

Oh well, I am tired of defending it. I love it and if anyone doesn't like it, go buy a Chevy or Dodge.

BTW, am I the only one here with one?

VetteLT193
05-07-2008, 08:25 AM
Very nice:)

Is the expy sitting on 20" wheels? They look very tasteful. I'm looking for my navigator. The stock 18" wheels on it have too much sidewall.

I never thought I wouldn't be happy with 18" wheels, but the wheel openings on new cars are so big now they look funny without huge wheels.

Donziweasel
05-07-2008, 08:29 AM
Vette, yeah it has 20 inch. The only size available for the Eddie Buaer in her config. They look really nice and Boo Boo has never really had any bling on her previous rides. I really recommend this vehicle. The Navigator is just Lincoln's version of the Expedition, with some very nice and extra goodies. Since they are the same platform, you will love it as much as Boo Boo loves her Expedition. Excellent tow rigs rated to 9000 pounds, so towing isn't a problem. Ford did a good job on both.

Buiz said he was looking around at them in So. Florida and couldn't find a 4x4 model. Out here, it is not a just something to have, it is needed. Good luck on the purchase if you find one you like. We ordered ours and it only took 3 1/2 weeks to get it.

VetteLT193
05-07-2008, 09:05 AM
Vette, yeah it has 20 inch. The only size available for the Eddie Buaer in her config. They look really nice and Boo Boo has never really had any bling on her previous rides. I really recommend this vehicle. The Navigator is just Lincoln's version of the Expedition, with some very nice and extra goodies. Since they are the same platform, you will love it as much as Boo Boo loves her Expedition. Excellent tow rigs rated to 9000 pounds, so towing isn't a problem. Ford did a good job on both.
Buiz said he was looking around at them in So. Florida and couldn't find a 4x4 model. Out here, it is not a just something to have, it is needed. Good luck on the purchase if you find one you like. We ordered ours and it only took 3 1/2 weeks to get it.

I actually just bought the Nav. (it's a 2005, used) I like it a lot except for the chunky side walls of the tires... I'm just looking for the wheels:) Mine is 4x4 as well... I've never had 4x4 and never needed it. After recommendations from members here I got the 4x4 and within the first week of owning it the 4x4 saved my azz. It's always great to share info and experiences to help others out!

Donziweasel
05-07-2008, 09:15 AM
Now that is a fat ride! Very nice. I am looking for an upscale vehicle to replace some of my aging Excursions. How do you like it? Would clients consider it a VIP rig? I looked at Escalades, but there are way too many out here. I never see Navigators though and want to be "unique". Do you have to 5.4L V-8? 4x4 smooth? In the winter out here, mostof my rigs with 4x4 stay in 4x4 all winter.

4x4 is something you may use only once while you own a rig, but that one time might save your ass. Even if I did not live in Wy, I would always buy a 4x4 vesion of a rig vs. 2wd if they offer the option. Better resale, peace of mind, etc.... Only draw back is fuel mileage with the extra diff and transfer case.

Been a lot of pics of rigs sliding off ramps at put ins lately. Wonder how many could have been saved if they had 4x4?

VetteLT193
05-07-2008, 09:28 AM
Now that is a fat ride! Very nice. I am looking for an upscale vehicle to replace some of my aging Excursions. How do you like it? Would clients consider it a VIP rig? I looked at Escalades, but there are way too many out here. I never see Navigators though and want to be "unique". Do you have to 5.4L V-8? 4x4 smooth? In the winter out here, mostof my rigs with 4x4 stay in 4x4 all winter.
4x4 is something you may use only once while you own a rig, but that one time might save your ass. Even if I did not live in Wy, I would always buy a 4x4 vesion of a rig vs. 2wd if they offer the option. Better resale, peace of mind, etc.... Only draw back is fuel mileage with the extra diff and transfer case.
Been a lot of pics of rigs sliding off ramps at put ins lately. Wonder how many could have been saved if they had 4x4?

Love the Navigator. This has the 6 speed auto in it, which I think they are using in the Expy's now too. 4x4 has 4 settings... either 2WD, Auto 4WD, Full 4WD, or 4 low. In auto 4 or 2WD I don't see any change in MPG. it engages smoothly, etc.

The car is definitely a VIP ride. I'm used to Lincolns, I've had a couple of town cars (still have one of the Town Cars). This Navigator blows the Town Car away. The wood grain in the dash is unreal, the seats have A/C and heat, power fold down 3rd row, air ride suspension that lowers an inch when you put it in park, power lift gate, navigation, etc. etc.

I looked at Caddy as well. A couple things killed the deal for me on the Caddy. First, the resale on the Caddy is much higher for no real reason. 2nd, the full time 4WD on the caddy and high HP engines make them gas hogs. 3rd, they are very chevy truck like. The Nav is more luxury, Caddy seems more rugged with luxury trim.

The absolute best deal is a used Navigator. Even one that is only 1-2 years old with very low miles will save you a TON. you can pick up last year's model with well under 20k miles for about $30k. New sticker is in the mid 60's. Lincoln is not holding its value at all so I wouldn't suggest buying new.

zimm17
05-08-2008, 09:31 AM
No more turning off the engine at the drivethru to order lunch!

I thought I was the only one.

I also get 14mpg on my 2003 7.3 F250 when it was stock and also with 37" tires, 4.30 gears, and running my 80HP program on the chip. Good to see they didn't improve it, no need to move up.

Donziweasel
05-08-2008, 09:40 AM
"I'll take a number 6 with a sprite" "sir, could you please turn your car off because I can't hear you" Sound familar? I think the 7.3L and 6.0L were about equally as loud.

Donziweasel
05-08-2008, 12:00 PM
BTW, did anyone see the movie "I am Ledgend". Now that was a killer Expedition. I really liked the look of it with the roof rack and brushgaurd on the low profile grey paint.

Also, I want to try deer hunting out of a new, hot Mustang. :eek!::smash:

LKSD
05-09-2008, 08:49 AM
Nice new rides.. Congrats :) Jamie