PDA

View Full Version : 1980 Hornet II

erikshube
04-29-2008, 10:39 PM
Im looking into buying a 1980 Hornet II. I have knowledge on boats, but have never owned one myself so i could use some suggestions. From what i understand the Hornet was a pretty solid boat.
Its a 1980 Hornet II. Looks like the original motor (454 w/ a trs outdrive) and I'm being told it runs well. Other than cosmetics it seems to be in good shape. What are some things that people might commonly overlook when buying a used boat?
What is the Hornet's reputation?

superhatz
05-02-2008, 12:18 AM
A true classic.....I love 'em!

Maybe have a survey or at least a mechanic look at it?

Lenny
05-02-2008, 01:29 AM
Hornets' are GREAT boats. Look for original Gel, the TRS and big block are heavy. Don't look to pass an 18. Ever. (unless you are Wa-Lo) A nice interior, original ride, good dash, stringers/coring. OEM equiped,... ??? you have a GREAT boat to get into and play with from there...

But that is just my Opinion... :)

I lost a HORNET about 6-7 years ago , close by. I still kick myself but the guy FIRST in line bought it when it first showed up.

That would be Dave, (MX Roadster) in Washington State. Haven't heard from him in a few years around here. Had some fun runs with him and others.

I used to think ( yes, I used to think) :rolleyes: that these boats were "more" seaworthy. Let me re-phrase this. ALL DONZI's blow your head off and the water that they can run in is unreal. What I would say is that the Hornet II would be a great rougher water boat, BUT,experienced people can run an 18 in water that would make you suck your thumb... :yes:

Comfort Zone, Comfort Zone... :D

Cheers, Lenny

erikshube
05-02-2008, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the input.
Did the hornets have any common problems with them?

AIRGRADY
05-02-2008, 09:45 AM
The only problem with my Hornet is all the people that stop dead in their tracks and want to talk about the boat! Gas pumps, beaches, boatramps, bars, even stoplights when I'm trailering her.
Dry ride, wide beam (for a classic), uinique, and DONZI style!
The Hornet is my favorite DONZI!

Spend a few bucks on the survey, it could save you thousands!

Grady