PDA

View Full Version : Flapper covers on a sixteen

cgentile
04-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Is anyone running thru the hull with no flappers on the tips. and if so have you had any water intake problems without them.

Curious i like the clean look but would be concerned about intake on backing up ...
I would think there is not much of a sound difference only visual look.

c
:canada:

BlownCrewCab
04-29-2008, 07:31 PM
It all depends on how high your pipes are compared to the water level when just floating (fully loaded is best)

I think water ingestion is a bigger concern when the motor is not running. When backing up it's not really a problem, backing up rapidly isn't either since you'll have more throttle and as a result more exhaust coming out the pipes. I have never worried about water ingestion with the motor running and I have had waves come over the transom.

Also check the fall of the the pipes, compare where the highest part of the pipes are coming off the motor and where they come out the transom, if it has allot of fall I wouldn't worry about flappers, if it doesn't fall much leave them on. (buy some fancy ones)

kd5cue
04-29-2008, 07:49 PM
always use flaps on exhaust tips,,,its cheap insurance,,,,keep water out:hangum:

VetteLT193
04-30-2008, 06:59 AM
if you happen to leave your boat uncovered for a couple days the flappers keep critters out of there too... so you won't have a birds nest in one of the tail pipes (and yes, this comes from experience)

RedDog
04-30-2008, 07:20 AM
you could have internal flappers tack welded in - I did
http://www.rexmar.com/page230.html
http://www.rexmar.com/images/page230.jpg

cgentile
04-30-2008, 09:40 AM
All good stuff guys... I realize now i will have to check the angle. They are after market Corsa silent choice system on the V6
Very nice system install too.
They are set that when you kill the engine the metal flappers that divert out the hull close. So no water can wash in or birds / water snakes can venture in.
:canada:

Sam
05-01-2008, 08:04 AM
No issues to my knowledge with my internal flappers, now what about those "Water Snakes" :eek: .

Carl C
05-01-2008, 08:44 AM
I know Kentucky has water snakes, I've seen 'em! Prolly don't need to worry in Ontario. Do not remove the flappers, you need them whether they be internal or external. Now if your diverters go to through prop mode with the engine off it seems that it would block water from entering. Mine go to through hull mode when engine is off. After thinking about it it seems that with a Q&Q that any water entering would just drop down the through prop diverter pipe It seems that you might be OK without flappers but I wouldn't chance it. If you don't like the looks then go with tips with internal flappers.

cgentile
05-01-2008, 08:59 AM
I have a lakehouse in Picton and the water snake lying in the sun on the dock last summer was head on one side of the dock and tail just on the other , and a slight curve in the middle .
And my dock is 4 feet wide go figure... They are very timid.