PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Donzi Mix for sale

Stix Magill
04-29-2008, 07:35 AM
I didn't know what catagory to put this question in, but after reading the "donzi boats for sale", I chose this catagory. Admin, please move if neccessary.

I am preparing to sell my 1987 Minx 20 Limited Edition. The boat needs to be wet sanded (very dull gelcoat) and the rubrail replaced, outdrive painted, probably paint the deck stripe, generally tighten things up, and install the new Built Rite seats that I already have in storage. The 350 mag is a 1997 and has around 50 hours and needs nothing.

My question is this.....

Should I sell the boat as is and let someone like you guys do a job on it, or should I do a big cleanup on it first myself?

I have never done a wet sand, but have researched it enough to know that you must be very careful. Obviously, I would ask more for the boat (maybe $2000+ more) after I put all the time and money into a cosmetic semi-overhaul.

I do not have a price yet, but when I do, I will list it on this site first.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

mjw930
04-29-2008, 09:08 AM
Stix,

That's a very desirable boat but IMHO selling it "as is" will bring out the sharks. If all it needs is $2000 or less in work to bring it up to pristine condition then your $2000 will be returned a couple times over.

I've seen mechanically identical Donzi's sell for as much as twice the price when they are cosmetically perfect.

An LE Minx in excellent condition will sell for a good price pretty fast, a project boat might not.

CHACHI
04-29-2008, 06:44 PM
Stix, I would agree with mjw, I too had a Minx, it needed nothing. For a 20 year old boat there was nothing wrong. The factory interior didn't have a nick in it. (When I sold it, I had a brand new Bilt Rite interior in boxes as a spare). All the boat needed was a new owner.
The boat was not an LE but it still took 15 months to sell it. I had lot of lookers who wanted to steal it from me.

At the very least buff the gel, be careful of the pin stripes, they are the first thing to disapear and good luck with the sale.

Ken

Stix Magill
04-29-2008, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the responses. What you say makes sense. I will order my sandpaper and rubrail and schedule a long weekend. If nothing else having the boat spiffy should increase the number of interested parties.

When it is ready and I have it priced, I will list it here first.

Wish me luck, and thanks again!

VetteLT193
04-30-2008, 07:03 AM
I think it depends on how much you want to get for it and how fast you want to sell it.

If you really want top dollar and are in no rush, do the work.

If you want to get rid of it quick, then save your money.

Stix Magill
05-01-2008, 06:08 AM
Because I will be doing the work myself, the expense will be quite low. I will need to get a new light kit for the trailer, sandpaper, compound, wax, and rubrail. I have considered replacing the guages, but the dash is all stock, so I will leave it that way.

I think I will clean her up, and price her to sell.:smash:

Thanks for the comments!

mjw930
05-01-2008, 08:24 AM
Because I will be doing the work myself, the expense will be quite low. I will need to get a new light kit for the trailer, sandpaper, compound, wax, and rubrail. I have considered replacing the guages, but the dash is all stock, so I will leave it that way.

I think I will clean her up, and price her to sell.:smash:

Thanks for the comments!

The problem is, once you get all this work done you may look at the package and say, "What was I thinking?" and the boat stays in your driveway :wink:

Stix Magill
05-02-2008, 06:48 AM
Yep, that is the danger! :doh: