PDA

View Full Version : Need a basic work car. Suggestions

The Hedgehog
04-28-2008, 08:25 PM
I need to buy a basic work car. Something that is not too exciting (It is not cool for your consultant from out of town to show up in a hot car). I would like good gas mileage and have no problems with used. I need four doors. Maybe a stick would liven it up some.

I have not driven a daily car since I was 18 and that was a 66 Mustang. I already have a truck and SUV so no crossover.

It will be hard to join the ranks of non-descript vehicle drivers but it is really the only idea that makes sense. I am getting sort of tired renting cars for biz.

What have some of you guys used?

Ed Donnelly
04-28-2008, 09:06 PM
The Ferrari F430,Audi R8, Mustang Bullit are all 2 doors..
So Subaru Legacy, Audi A4,A6,Acura RL are 4 doors......Ed

vonkamp
04-28-2008, 09:12 PM
BMW 5 series, stick with the 6cyl for great gas milage... :yes: :cool:

BUIZILLA
04-28-2008, 09:13 PM
you want fast, and fun? (1) Subaru STI AWD hatchback... before you frown, go drive one..

(2) Ford Fusion
(3) Mazda 6

MOP
04-28-2008, 09:23 PM
I have an A4 pretty tough little bugger, have not put much into it and it has almost 120,000 on it. We run it as our work car, 70-75 it gets 22,mpg. I have had two Subi's they are bullet proof, the last one I gave to one of the kids with 165,000 he ran it to well over 200,000 and sold it still running. Neither one was turbo, the both got over 30 Hwy.

Phil

Donzi Vol
04-28-2008, 09:28 PM
BMW 5 series, stick with the 6cyl for great gas milage... :yes: :cool:

I go with vonkamp here. I had a '97 BMW 318is for 5 years and loved it. Cool little 5 speed that got 30 mpg. The only reason I got rid of it was for my job. AND, there in lies your only problem. Even though my car was only worth 3 grand when I sold it, no salesman in upper east TN can drive a car and not be assumed as a rich kid. Sad, but true. If I had any other suggestion it would be the new Nissan Altima. I never thought I would want a 4 door family sedan, but I got one as a rental while my truck was being fixed a while back, and I loved it. Smooth ride, quick engine, tight trans, and comfortable. The best part about it (IMHO) is the price. 17 grand brand and new fully loaded:nilly:. Well that's my two cents. I hope I didn't put too much of a sales pitch on you!

roadtrip se
04-28-2008, 09:31 PM
you want fast, and fun? (1) Subaru STI AWD hatchback... before you frown, go drive one..
(2) Ford Fusion
(3) Mazda 6

I would add the VW Jetta TDI, if you are looking for big time miles..

samjannarone
04-28-2008, 09:43 PM
I'm with MOP re the A-4, great little car, fast enough and a blast in the snow. Does it snow in Tennessee?

BUIZILLA
04-28-2008, 09:48 PM
I bought my oldest daughter a 2000 A4 new, not a bad car, but dealer service was abominable.. then I got her a new 2005 TSX Acura, sweet car, not one problem in 39 months, we just sold it to CarMax this week for 17k as she wants a new C300... good topic here... you won't believe how fast a Mitsu Evo Lancer is... you can get perf. chips for a TDI Passat...

Todd, i'll have the 28 race trailer with me... going to BG first...

Donzi Vol
04-28-2008, 10:03 PM
I'm with MOP re the A-4, great little car, fast enough and a blast in the snow. Does it snow in Tennessee?

Not as much as a 4x4 guy would like...

BlownCrewCab
04-29-2008, 06:05 AM
If I didn't have to have a truck to pull a horse trailer I'd be drivin a STI. Since I have to have a truck I made it run like the STI.(Hence the BlownCrewCab) Once the truck is paid for I'll pick one up..

glashole
04-29-2008, 06:23 AM
I agree with Todd on the Volkswagon

or how about a chevy malibu or other domestic car

alot of the salemen around here drive a minivan- laugh all you want they are comfortable and drive very nice

The Hedgehog
04-29-2008, 07:32 AM
I am with Donzi Vol, unfortunately it does not snow enough here. If it does, I have a Grand Cherokee and a CJ7 with 35's. I am really looking to be able to get 30mpg or more on the hwy. I like the Audi/BMW concept but any Euro or Luxury car is too much for the small towns I visit. I have a fellow consultant that just has an Infinity and that gets some of those "must be nice" comments.

I did take a new Vette to visit a client down in South Alabama. I was only there for a day and hid it around the corner from the bank. By lunch everyone knew who was driving it. Bad choice.

I looked at the Honda Civic (seems too small)
I will look at the Accord
Am considering the Passat
Maybe the Altima (need to see if it gets 30 mpg).

I have no problem with the Subaru's but nobody down here in the boonies really services them. Maybe the reliability will overcome that.

All of the above seem to be readily avail in 5 speed (so I won't have to do neutral drops).

Which if these have engines that get along with Nitrous?:shocking: Just kidding

The Hedgehog
04-29-2008, 07:39 AM
Oh yea, just for the record I don't sell anything but my time. About 5-10% of my time is sales the rest is very much roll up your sleeves work.

I am actually trying to change that and spend more time in a sales roll.

The Hedgehog
04-29-2008, 08:18 AM
So far, it seems like the larger cars I mentioned seem to be scarce in a manual (there is a shocker). It looks like they seem to be able to get high 20's to 30 on the hwy. Going to a 6 cyl hurts that. Getting low 20's is no good.

Craig S
04-29-2008, 08:28 AM
I'm pretty close to parking the Cummins and buying a Honda Fit.

handfulz28
04-29-2008, 09:06 AM
How about the Pontiac offerings? The G8 is the hot sedan I think, then there's the G6. Domestic, not too horribly boring. The G8 will surely have you stopping a little more often for gas, and it's the flashier one. But it should be a blast in between stops.

The Hedgehog
04-29-2008, 09:15 AM
How about the Pontiac offerings? The G8 is the hot sedan I think, then there's the G6. Domestic, not too horribly boring. The G8 will surely have you stopping a little more often for gas, and it's the flashier one. But it should be a blast in between stops.

I rented a G-6 one time. I liked it. I don't remember the fuel economy. It blew the door handles off most of the stuff I rent.

mjw930
04-29-2008, 09:28 AM
Although you "think" a stick will add to the "excitement" you really need to pick the right tool for the job.

Considering your location and the distinct possibility that you'll run into your fair share of "buy American" sentiment I would consider the following rides:

Ford Fusion (basically a Mazda 6 and I own one, it's a very nice midrange sedan)

Saturn Aura XR (or XE V-6) (Same as the Malibu but with a nicer interior and a sportier suspension calibration)

Chrysler / Dodge doesn't seem to have a midsize car that gets over 24 mpg unless you go with an anemic 4 cylinder

Of course the Japanese cars shouldn't be a problem but I don't see them as all that much better than the Ford or Saturn these days.

The Hedgehog
04-29-2008, 09:45 AM
Although you "think" a stick will add to the "excitement" you really need to pick the right tool for the job.

Considering your location and the distinct possibility that you'll run into your fair share of "buy American" sentiment I would consider the following rides:

Ford Fusion (basically a Mazda 6 and I own one, it's a very nice midrange sedan)

Saturn Aura XR (or XE V-6) (Same as the Malibu but with a nicer interior and a sportier suspension calibration)

Chrysler / Dodge doesn't seem to have a midsize car that gets over 24 mpg unless you go with an anemic 4 cylinder

Of course the Japanese cars shouldn't be a problem but I don't see them as all that much better than the Ford or Saturn these days.

I am all about buy American. What kind of economy are you getting out of the Fusion?

A stick is not an absolute requirement just a preference. I know that it hurts resale but I basically plan to drive the tires off anyway.

BlownCrewCab
04-29-2008, 09:55 AM
My wife is taking her Saturn Aura XR to the dealer RIGHT NOW to get the 2nd battery this year. They cant figure it out, It will Drain a new battery to the point of no return. So she gets about 6 mos out of a 7 year battery. Cool car to drive with the paddle shifer on the steering wheel and the 6spd tranny, it's pretty quick also, I have a hard time getting it to go straight when getting on it cause the torque steer is greater than I. If/when they figure out the problems it'll be a great Lil car and gets 24-30mpg

mjw930
04-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Every brand has it's issues with some problems. The perception about Japanese cars are just that, perception. The reality is if you added up all the "silent" recalls that Toyota and Honda do you would find they are no better than anyone else.

My father-in-law has already had his entire rear subframe replaced by Nissan on his '03 Altima along with an A/C compressor and 2 radios. Our Mazda 6 has only had an ECU reflash due to poor throttle reaction and that wouldn't have been counted had we not reported it since it would have been reflashed as part of the 20K service without our knowing it.

I don't want to get into an American vs. the rest of the world conversation, there's not point.

We get ~28 mpg on the highway with the '06 Mazda 6S (V-6) (same as the Fusion V6 SE which is rated at 18 city / 26 highway). It gets a solid 20 mpg around town, all on 87 oct regular.

The Hedgehog
04-29-2008, 10:31 AM
I wonder why the mileage difference on the 6 verses the Fusion?

Has anyone put a bunch of miles on either?

mjw930
04-29-2008, 11:29 AM
I wonder why the mileage difference on the 6 verses the Fusion?

Has anyone put a bunch of miles on either?

The Mazda is rated 18/25, the Fusion is 18/26. I imagine it's something like 25.4 for the Mazda and 25.6 for the Ford. Probably variations in bodywork.

My numbers are observed. I will say that it drops to about 24 @ 90 MPH on dead flat FL highways. :wink:

We only have 22,000 miles so that doesn't count as a bunch.

mjw930
04-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Check out the 2009 Mazda 6 : http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=upcomingMAZDA6

It looks pretty nice.

BTW, if you decide to go Ford / Mazda I can get you an X-Plan PIN as part of the friends and family program for suppliers.

zelatore
04-29-2008, 11:46 AM
If you HAVE to buy american, I'd agree with the Fords. The Fusion seems to be a decent car. The Pontiacs, G6-G8, look interesting and I've heard good things about them but they're no-way going to get close to your 30 mpg.

Don't expect to find many (any?) manuals. Heck, when I bought my BMW I had a hard time finding a manual. Give me a break! It's a freekin' BMW, not a Mercedes! :smash:

A lot of the cars mentioned here are certainly fun but either won't get the milage you're after, or are too flashy for your desired application. Frankly, not many cars really get 30 mpg on the highway unless you really baby them, and most of those are low-rent econo cars. Think Corrolla and company. And if you drive them with any verve, they still won't get 30 mpg.

I've had an A4 - good car, but too flashy based on what you've said. The Subi's are fun, but won't likely return the milage you're after and while generally durable the fit and finish is not so great (I hear it's improved since I last drove a WRX though, so maybe not so bad).

The VW stuff is generally pretty good. Get a GTI or similar and you'll have plenty of fun. Still not sure about the milage since again, a true 30 mpg is tough to come by.

A couple things nobody mentioned that I would definatly consider:

Mazda Speed 3 - tons of bang for the buck and a very practical 4 door hatch layout. Plus it's a sleeper and looks good.

Mini Clubman - more room than you think, resonable price, good resale, interesting (as opposed to bland) and although not 'fast' it's a Mini. Translation: blast to drive.

Lastly, I'll leave you with this little tidbit: I recently read a story about a consultant who rides a Harley to work. He was initially worried about an image problem with riding the bike, but soon learned that many clients appreciated it. You can 'sell' it on several levels. 1- it's american. 2- good milage and less wear/tear on the infrastructure. i.e. it's 'green' 3- it's a conversation piece and it's unique, and unique means you get remembered. And that's a good thing when it comes to repeat buisness. (Hey, we need a guy to help us with project XXX - what was that guy's name who rode the Harley?) Besides, you can bet at least one of the top brass at whatever company you're working with rides (well, at least ownes) a Harley. Get yourself a big Ultra or Road King or something with bags and a windshield and an Aerostich suit and you're read to rock and roll!

BTW, if you've been driving trucks all this time, pretty much any of the above suggestions will be a big improvement in the 'fun to drive' catagory. I'll always have a truck, but I only drive it when I have to.

The Hedgehog
04-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Check out the 2009 Mazda 6 : http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=upcomingMAZDA6

It looks pretty nice.

BTW, if you decide to go Ford / Mazda I can get you an X-Plan PIN as part of the friends and family program for suppliers.

Nice looking car. My Ford dealer can service this right?

When will this be out.

mjw930
04-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Nice looking car. My Ford dealer can service this right?

When will this be out.

No, Ford dealers do not honor Mazda warranties but I'm sure they will change the oil for you. They do not have any of the Mazda specific diagnostic equipment so it would be exactly the same as taking it to a Chevy dealer for service.

I suspect the '09 will hit the dealers late summer but be in short supply until after the new year.

Although they are built on the same platform, in the same plant they are 2 different cars. Here's a link to some midsized sedans for a comparison.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/nvc/edmunds/VehicleComparison?basestyleid=100939803&styleid=100920620&styleid=100900432&styleid=100900326&maxvehicles=5&refid=&op=3&tab=print

BTW, the Mazda Speed 3 is a sweet ride. The regular 3 was a bit of a yawn.

The Hedgehog
04-29-2008, 01:18 PM
No, Ford dealers do not honor Mazda warranties but I'm sure they will change the oil for you. They do not have any of the Mazda specific diagnostic equipment so it would be exactly the same as taking it to a Chevy dealer for service.

I suspect the '09 will hit the dealers late summer but be in short supply until after the new year.

Although they are built on the same platform, in the same plant they are 2 different cars. Here's a link to some midsized sedans for a comparison.

http://www.edmunds.com/apps/nvc/edmunds/VehicleComparison?basestyleid=100939803&styleid=100920620&styleid=100900432&styleid=100900326&maxvehicles=5&refid=&op=3&tab=print

BTW, the Mazda Speed 3 is a sweet ride. The regular 3 was a bit of a yawn.

Thanks for the info. That is a good comparison. I have some homework to do.

wannabe
04-29-2008, 04:34 PM
My Mercury grand marquis gets an honest 25 mph on the road and even gives you that boating feeling.

wannabe
04-29-2008, 05:00 PM
oops, I mean mpg. I'm not that old, I do drive faster than that!!!!:eek!:

zelatore
04-29-2008, 05:20 PM
My Mercury grand marquis gets an honest 25 mph on the road and even gives you that boating feeling.

See, now that's funny:tongue:

(woo-hoo! my post # equals my displacement size!)

86fxst
04-29-2008, 05:47 PM
I'm getting over 50 mpg on my Civic hybrid. Small car but good interior room! Over Christmas my wife and I traveled over 700 miles with three dogs (two Labs and a Border Collie)!:)

Donzi Vol
04-29-2008, 06:13 PM
All some good thoughts here. I don't think you can really go wrong with any of these. If I were going to say anything else about the Altima (as the salesman starts coming out in me...), it CAN be good on mileage. I'll put it this way. My dad got one when they first came out. If I drive it playing with the tiptronic (sp??) manual it'll get about 25mpg. If dad drives it, it'll get about 28mpg. And if mom drives it, she's assured to get 32mpg. When it comes down to it, so much is not WHAT you drive, but HOW you drive when it comes to gas mileage. I'm wrestling with the mileage I'm getting, but I know that if I would just turn down the A/C and stay in over-drive, my wallet would be a lot happier!

Ok...my last 2 cents (maybe :wink:)

osur866
04-29-2008, 10:28 PM
Not as economical as some of the other suggestions but how about a 300 M with a Hemi. Rented one of thses a while back and thses things move and ride nice and have the 4 doors and plenty of room inside. After a week of driving this thing it barley had rear tires under it :eek!: but it was fun :propeller: Steve

The Hedgehog
04-30-2008, 07:28 AM
Mini Cooper S...
40ish MPG when you are able to keep your foot out of it.. Absolute hoot to drive..

The Cooper is a little much for the good ole boys in Tn. That would get a "cute little car there boy" on occassion.

The Hemi would definitely gain approval but not at the pump.

zelatore
04-30-2008, 09:39 AM
Ah yes, the redneck factor. I had forgotten to consider that.

I suppose you could always offer to take them out for a day at the track to disavow them of any 'cute little car' thoughts, but then again, there aren't exactly many tracks in that area that don't go in a circle or a straight line. I'm guessing Barber and Road Atlanta are your closest depending on where you are in TN?

My boss has a Ferrari 360 F1 we took as part of a trade deal. He's kept it as his own and thinks he's quite the Ferrari expert now despite not even knowing what model it is. I've been trying to get him to come out to the track with me one day. Nothing better than smacking down some guy's 'fast' car with your 'lesser' car.

The Hedgehog
04-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Until they heard the blower kick in, the tires light up and watched it blaze down the road.. And it WILL blaze.. :D :D :D

Yes, as Zelatore says, the redneck factor.

I do like the sleeper car idea though.

Team Jefe
05-01-2008, 03:49 PM
I would add the VW Jetta TDI, if you are looking for big time miles..

If you find one for sale....they are Worth their weight in Gold.

I am all about buy American. What kind of economy are you getting out of the Fusion?

Buy American, you have lots of suggestions and choices...And lots of NON-American cars too.

For me I may have missed the point, if you want a economical Sedan that is also Cool, it won;t be that economical. V6's and Blowers do not equal great fuel economy. Plus if you are trying to keep a low profile, flashy cars seem expensive even if they are not.

My suggestion, and I can back this up with my own actions, Look at a Hyundai Elantra....Yes I know ZERO cool factor, and seriously foreign....but I owned one for over a year and put almost 30K miles on it in that year. and had ZERO issues. Nice, comfortable, handled very well and over 32MPG, even with me driving it......But is for sure is a commuter sled....and I was harassed relentlessly for owning it. Still, I wish I had it today....it is the only car of the 25+ I have owned that I regret selling. Plus they can be had pretty cheap, so overall ownership costs are Cheap, CHeap, Cheap.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I sold mine for $800 less than I paid for it, 14 months later and 29,000+ miles

Craig S
05-02-2008, 08:47 AM
On the late BMWs and VWs...imho they are pretty high maintenance out of warranty. Luckily, my experience has been with friends' cars and service manager discussions. Not for me.

show-n-go h2o
05-02-2008, 09:50 AM
i agree with Craig, on the VW's, they are great cars as long as the warranty.

something to look at would be the Hyundai sonata, you get a ton of bang for you buck, and it comes in 5 speed. you could buy a used 08 for $12,500-$13,500.

i am a true honda guy but after working for Hyundai for 3 years they have changed my mind alot.
not to mention they are made in alabama.

The Hedgehog
05-02-2008, 10:05 AM
i agree with Craig, on the VW's, they are great cars as long as the warranty.

something to look at would be the Hyundai sonata, you get a ton of bang for you buck, and it comes in 5 speed. you could buy a used 08 for $12,500-$13,500.

i am a true honda guy but after working for Hyundai for 3 years they have changed my mind alot.
not to mention they are made in alabama.

That is good to know. Both about the reliability and the Bama thing

zelatore
05-02-2008, 10:43 AM
As for reliability on the Germans, here's my personal experience:

I had an '02 A4, 3.0, quattro, sport, 6-spd.

It was pretty reliable. The only real issues were the injectors, which were covered as part of a replacement campaign, and the stereo which freaked out at one point and had to be replaced. Other than that, it was pretty much basic maintenance. Until we got up to 100K miles. At that point, even though it was maintenance work, it was going to get expensive so we got rid of it and got ...

'08 BMW 335i, sport, 6-spd.

I've had it in for repair once; granted, I've only got 8000 miles on it, including two track days. The problem wasn't anything that affected drivability or left me without a car, but it needed to be looked at. Basically, some of the emissions stuff was acting up intermittently and throwing a code, and a cooling fan for the electronics was in/op. Not really enough miles on it to make much of a claim as to reliability though.

'06 VW Jetta, 5-cyl, 5-spd, base model
This is my brother's car. He's got about 20K on it so far and hasn't had anything but regular maintenance work. It's been pretty good to him - and his wife has a way of destroying cars...

Other than the Jetta, I don't really think any of these are the car you are looking for based on your previous statements, but I thought I'd at least throw some direct experience in on the Germans since it was brought up.

On the Huyndai front, I wrote them off for years when they first appeared, but over the last 3 or 4 years they have really made some improvements. I've never owned one, so my expereience is limited, but the styling and driveability have greatly improved. If (for some reason) I was shopping for a Taurus, Accord, Camery, etc, I would certainly look at the Sonata as well - it seems to be at least an equal in it's class, and their other cars look pretty decent as well.

BUIZILLA
05-04-2008, 09:05 PM
this weekend I was on a car buying spree for an export order, I have to procure 5 vehicles for a friend this week... 3 new Mazda's, a used Porsche 993, and a demo 2008 Hummer H2... the Porsche was so-so and an automatic, but that's what he wants, the H2 is gargantuan, I can't stand 'em... got those behind me... went to the Bemmer store and drove a new 128I and a 6 speed 135I, I like the 135 but headroom is an issue for me... I degress..

then I went to the Mazda store... I need a CX-7 Grand Touring, M5 Grand Touring minivan and a MazdaSpeed 3 Grand Touring... CX-7 is a VERY nice wifey piece, M5 is utility at it's best.. got those behind me...

then the MS3 deal starts... salesman friend says let's go for a little cruise...

OMFG!!!!! what a friggin' rocketship !!! 263hp, 280 lbs/ft at 2,000 rpm, turbo, intercooled, direct injected, 6 speed, 6500 rpm, TPMS, LSD, torque management, 18" tires, killer Bose stereo, 155 mph speed limiter, 3100#'s, seats 4, performance front seating, all from the factory... my WS6 LS-1 Trans Am and my C5 Vette barely did 155 for gawds sake... I think this thing feels as fast as a 135I Beemer, handling is perfectly crisp and balanced, it's THAT impressive... the cloth Sport model is under 24k out-the-door, leather is 2k more, this has to be the screaming bargain of the century... I can not believe how solid and cool this car is. The perfect daily driver. I'm hooked. I think we're going to buy 3 of these, and I want a pearl white one for myself... Check it out for yourself, you won't believe it. 10k cheaper than an STI Suby... Hands down the most new car fun for 25k in the universe. Period. One of the 10 best engines in the world, and it can be tweaked to 300hp... Prove me wrong people. I dare ya. I double dare ya... Skip Barber can't be wrong here...

The Hedgehog
05-04-2008, 09:16 PM
this weekend I was on a car buying spree for an export order, I have to procure 5 vehicles for a friend this week... 3 new Mazda's, a used Porsche 993, and a demo 2008 Hummer H2... the Porsche was so-so and an automatic, but that's what he wants, the H2 is gargantuan, I can't stand 'em... got those behind me... went to the Bemmer store and drove a new 128I and a 6 speed 135I, I like the 135 but headroom is an issue for me... I degress..
then I went to the Mazda store... I need a CX-7 Grand Touring, M5 Grand Touring minivan and a MazdaSpeed 3 Grand Touring... CX-7 is a VERY nice wifey piece, M5 is utility at it's best.. got those behind me...
then the MS3 deal starts... salesman friend says let's go for a little cruise...
OMFG!!!!! what a friggin' rocketship !!! 263hp, 280 lbs/ft at 2,000 rpm, turbo, intercooled, direct injected, 6 speed, 6500 rpm, TPMS, LSD, torque management, 18" tires, killer Bose stereo, 155 mph speed limiter, 3100#'s, seats 4, performance front seating, all from the factory... my WS6 LS-1 Trans Am and my C5 Vette barely did 155 for gawds sake... I think this thing feels as fast as a 135I Beemer, handling is perfectly crisp and balanced, it's THAT impressive... the cloth Sport model is under 24k out-the-door, leather is 2k more, this has to be the screaming bargain of the century... I can not believe how solid and cool this car is. The perfect daily driver. I'm hooked. I think we're going to buy 3 of these, and I want a pearl white one for myself... Check it out for yourself, you won't believe it. 10k cheaper than an STI Suby... Hands down the most new car fun for 25k in the universe. Period. One of the 10 best engines in the world, and it can be tweaked to 300hp... Prove me wrong people. I dare ya. I double dare ya... Skip Barber can't be wrong here...

That thing ought to be a rocket ship. Your are killing me. I am struggling with getting a regular car and hearing about that stuff.

The Hedgehog
05-04-2008, 09:26 PM
So I was waiting on my new Tahoe at the dealership (this is just before big SUV's were starting to be popular). They had to prep a few more things so they loaned me some generic car for a day. I showed up at my father's house and told him that I changed my mind and bought a practical car. He had this surprised and disgusted look. His face said "I thought I raised you better than that." He fought comments off hard and said Hmm. Then I got a good laugh and told him the story. He simply said, "That did not really look like something you would own."

The guy has a whole fleet of sports cars but I have to remind myself that he has had a regular car of two in his day.