PDA

View Full Version : bottom paint

jimkav
04-28-2008, 07:14 PM
What's the best product to coat the bottom of your boat with (if you dont want to paint it)?
I plan on keeping it in the water this summer.

Morgan's Cloud
04-29-2008, 07:53 AM
Do you mean something slippery that wont change the colour of the bottom ala antifouling paint ?

The Hedgehog
04-29-2008, 07:57 AM
As silly as it sounds, I would avoid keeping my boat in the water for extended periods at all cost. Maybe not it it was a cruiser or a fishing boat. ALL gelcoat is porous and will blister over time.

jimkav
04-29-2008, 08:36 AM
I was thinking of trying as product like SCATT high performance barrier coating or Easy on coating (would of liked to rack store but its not going to happen this year)
Thanks

The Hedgehog
04-29-2008, 08:39 AM
What kind of boat?

jimkav
04-29-2008, 08:57 AM
1990 donzi 24' BW

The Hedgehog
04-29-2008, 09:38 AM
If you are going to rack it later I would leave it alone and just clean the heck out of it. Antifouling paint and performance boats don't go together. If you want to put antifouling paint on and remove it next year you will hate it.

If you want to get into bottom coatings, you can get into the whole epoxy, Interlux VC and the like. That is great for big repair jobs but you don't need that. It would be cheaper just to buy a hydrahoist.

If it in only one season, I would strongly recommend just putting the boat in on Friday and out on Sunday. Or maybe a week here and there.

MOP
04-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Like Mr. Hog says don't bother with anything, the bottom can be brought back to new looking with no green residue using (Scot the HM's) magic! Maguires wheel cleaner. I does the most perfect job of hull cleaning I have seen!

Phil