PDA

View Full Version : Ya know, with gas at $6.50 a gallon here,

Lenny
04-27-2008, 07:33 PM
...this boat just plain scares me...

4 454's :eek:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/50-Cary-Cigarette-Type-Boat-W-4-Engines-RARE-Bargain_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31270QQihZ002QQ itemZ120249045202QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

McGary911
04-27-2008, 08:08 PM
Your're not kidding. Bet that thing burns 10 GPH listening to the radio. :doh:

Barry Eller
04-27-2008, 08:45 PM
I think it would be a nice project for someone that could remove the BBC's and install 2 big diesels. That looks like the 80's way of being "Over the Top"! I would have liked to have heard it run!

Jamesbon
04-27-2008, 09:45 PM
OMG! She looks like a nice well kept boat.

My wallet hurts with the thought of maintaining and fueling her...

No bids and just hours left...

Seems "par to the course" for the boating market right now...

Yes, two BIG diesels and 60+k with Arnesons would be the ticket...!

gcarter
04-28-2008, 08:28 AM
The Carver 43' boat Zelatore took us out on San Francisco Bay had the new Volvo U shaped drives (I can't remember what they're called) w/ forward facing Duo-Props. This rather well equiped 43' boat did 37 MPH w/twin 370 HP Volvo 6 cylinder Diesels, and they'll cruise at 30 MPH. They are very compact and maneuver unb elievably (they'll turn in their own length).
So just imagine a pair of 450 HP Volvos in this boat w/those drives!!!!
Here's a few pictures;

mjw930
04-28-2008, 09:18 AM
That's the Volvo Penta ITS system:

http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/na/en-us/marine_leisure_engines/engines/c_volvo_penta_ips/videos/in_short.htm

Ranman
04-28-2008, 09:53 AM
That's the Volvo Penta ITS system:

http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/na/en-us/marine_leisure_engines/engines/c_volvo_penta_ips/videos/in_short.htm

You mean IPS. :) ITS is Merc's Integrated Transom System.

olredalert
04-28-2008, 12:11 PM
------This cool Cary has been on E-bay so many times its embarressing. Feel sorry for the owner as the first time I saw it on there I think gas was about $1.95.........Bill S

MOP
04-28-2008, 12:48 PM
I was out at the Ocean Reef club near 20 years back picking up one of my clients boats bringing it back north, there was a Cary like that at the docks that had 5 Merlins! The engines followed the hulls V looked real cool, must have had all the same length/depth drives.

Hustler just built a 42 with 3 diesels and Arnesons, not sure of the actual top speed but it was some impressive to see it run. I am lucky they do all of their testing launching from my local ramp, I get to see some great looking boats going through it final setup and testing. Many times I will be home and will hear them fire something up and just can't resist shooting down to watch what is going on.

zelatore
04-28-2008, 07:18 PM
The IPS units aren't a good retrofit option as they generally require a lot of hull mods to make them work correctly since they really throw off the ballance of the boat. It's a great deal for the manufacturer if they can work them in at the design stage as there's only one hull hole for the drive unit and the exhaust, intake, and steering are all integral to the drives. The drives themselves are BIG bronze suckers; noticably larger than a Bravo or Duoprop unit.

I've got a 40 Marquis in stock with a pair of IPS drives powered with 435 hp D6's. She's good for about 36-37 knots (say 42/43 mph) at WOT and cruises about 30 knots.

Then we've got a 50' version of that boat on order for later this summer with triple IPS 435s (IPS600). I haven't seen any performance specs yet, but it will probably be in the same range. Assuming you could pull off the retro-fit somehow, I'm guessing you could see maybe 50-55 mph with the triple install in the Carry since it's got to be far lighter than a 50' luxury hardtop experss with all the bells and whistles.

But I'd hate to try to make it all work!:eek!:

zelatore
04-28-2008, 07:25 PM
This rather well equiped 43' boat did 37 MPH w/twin 370 HP Volvo 6 cylinder Diesels

She's not quite that fast George! The 43 with the IPS400 system (the 370 hp D6 motors) tops out closer to 27/28 knots (a little over 30 mph) And she gets pretty good economy (relatively speaking) while doing it.

Actually, I have to move about 8 boats out of a show tomorrow ... maybe I'll take a few for a little WOT run to verify speeds. You know, just to make sure nothing's wrong.

:wink:

wannabe
04-28-2008, 07:36 PM
A doctor had a 50 ft. Cary with the same power set up that he kept on Lake Erie and he could never keep that thing dialed in. The two inner engines would dig because the drives were lower and the outer drives would come out of the water and over rev. He grenaded alot of engines. Probably didn't drive it correctly.

gcarter
04-29-2008, 06:02 AM
She's not quite that fast George! The 43 with the IPS400 system (the 370 hp D6 motors) tops out closer to 27/28 knots (a little over 30 mph) And she gets pretty good economy (relatively speaking) while doing it.
:wink:
Ooops!
My bad. I thought you said 33 knots top speed.