PDA

View Full Version : Ebay question

chappy
04-24-2008, 04:52 PM
I sold something on ebay last night. First time I've ever used the site for anything other than browsing. While waiting to hear from the buyer, I checked my messages only to discover that someone has been sending messages to the members who bid, but did not win. All of the messages state that the buyer could not buy the item for family reasons. Then the messages offer the item at their bid. Now the members that bid are starting to respond, thinking I contacted them. My member id is signed at the end of each message. A different email address is in the message, and they are asking to be contacted via that address. What should I do? I sent ebay an email, and the message said I would be contacted within 24-48 hours. I may be overreacting, but I must say I'm a little pissed. Any advice?:confused:
Thanks in advance,
Rich
P.S. It wasn't the Donzi.

mike o
04-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Hi, some one has figured out your ebay password and compromised your listing. They figure out your password by your key strokes . Ebay will void your listing for the item you sold ... and notify all bidders that the listing is not valid. Ebay will tell you to change your password... Its happend to me twice. I sell high end kevlar canoes on Ebay. They get in through your regular email... So never answer any ebay related questions thru your regular email, only ebay messages which are secure. Michael, ranger canoe co.

Trueser
04-24-2008, 06:46 PM
Unless you get an email thru your dashbord when you logon to ebay just delete them. Or email them to Spoof@ebay.com

Never click a link in any email!!!!!!!

Another safety net would be to get the paypal/ebay sercure key. 6 digit number that changes every 30 seconds.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/cps/securitycenter/general/PPSecurityKey-outside

Trueser
04-24-2008, 06:48 PM
I would also install and run Microsoft Spyware and SPYBOT. ASAP!

gcarter
04-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Mike is right. I use a different email acount that is for eBay only. I respond to ebay messages only. Anytime eBay emails you, they will also message you in your "My eBay" section.
Once about two years ago, someone hijacked my account and used it to attempt to scam folks w/fictitious items. Many were very interesting, a bunch of cars and motorcycles. Anyway they messaged me of what transpired and included a list of items. If I had actually owned them, I would have been pretty wealthy. All I had to do was reset my password and email acount.

chappy
04-24-2008, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the tips. I changed my password and security questions. That Spybot worked great. Weird thing though, I still haven't heard from the high bidder, I tried to contact him twice already. Is it odd that this is making me think Travis Bickle may have had some good points?:drool:

mrfixxall
04-24-2008, 09:09 PM
Call them and tell them what is happening,,heres the secret number but dont tell anybody:)
800-717-3229

chappy
04-25-2008, 08:19 AM
Call them and tell them what is happening,,heres the secret number but tell anybody:)
800-717-3229

Ahhhh, exactly what I was looking for, thanks Fix.:thumbsup:

justleft
04-26-2008, 03:44 PM
I would guess that the high bidder is the perp.

Drive up the price and see if anyone will offer money for
the item that the perp doesn't own.

Then he/she will take the money and you get the bad rating.

Contact EBay.