PDA

View Full Version : Tire Pressue?

Uncle Fester
04-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Anyone have the TPMS system installed on their trailer wheels? I'm gonna get some new rubber this spring and was thinking it would be a good time to install these transmitter valve stems and have the little head unit up in the cab where I can have instant access to pressure and temp. I'm usually not fun to be around when I'm towing and I'm constantly looking in the mirrors and watching tire flex. I think this would be the cat's meow and really help at night to reduce my stress level.

So does anybody use this technology? What brand do you have? Do you have the valve stems thru the wheel with temp too or just the valve caps that screw on?

Here is the one I'm thinking about getting...

http://www.amazon.com/Intercomp-Digital-Wireless-Pressure-Temperature/dp/B000EJCRNK/ref=pd_bbs_6?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1209072671&sr=8-6

zelatore
04-24-2008, 05:35 PM
Sounds like a good application for the product. I have a version in my BMW, but it's about useless. All it does is put up a warning light if things are under pressure. I would think they could do better...heck, I rode a BMW bike the other day that gave real-time pressure in the front and rear tires on the dash.

I don't care for them in a car, but on a trailer it would be a great idea, especially if it gave an actual reading instead of just an idiot light.

BUIZILLA
04-24-2008, 07:54 PM
I have a Doran Pressure Pro, had it over a year.. bought 10 screw on sensors

haven't installed it yet though... sound familiar?

it's an invaluable tool, installation is straight forward and is better using two people, you only have a small time window to calibrate each individual sensor, which should be done in the early morning when the tires are cold and at the set pressures you desire. It has a safety fallback warning pressure amount that you can program into the head unit for each individual tire. The remote needs a clear area for transmitter signal and usually 50-55' distance is testing it's limits. For any further away you can buy a signal interceptor that remote mounts in the back of the bus/coach/truck and is far more accurate. My brother has it on his coach/car trailer and it saved his ass 3 weeks ago on Alligator Alley when a trailer tire went down pretty quickly.... the sensors have had some reliability issues, but DPP has been responsive to most warranty situations. Cost for head unit and 10 sensors was about $800 plus shipping. There are 2 or 3 brands out there, but this is the best recognized unit so far, IMO.

Uncle Fester
04-25-2008, 09:45 AM
Our YuKon has factory TPMS and it worked great when Sherry picked up a couple of nails over the last year. I wonder if I could pick up 4 GM valve stems and have them programmed into the Yukon? I got a slow day today and was gonna go look at new trucks so I'm gonna ask the service guys when I go there.

I've seen the screw on cap system, but most head units only have a dummy light and don't give you heat (which maybe could warn you of a bearing going out...maybe). I would really like to find a head unit that displays all 4 tires pressures all at once so I could just glance at it going down the road and not have to push buttons (like the factory setup in the Yukon).

MOP
04-25-2008, 10:43 AM
They are fine but how do they warn you when you are rolling? I still use the old tried and true, check everything before I leave and constantly check the rubber in the mirrors. When ever we stop to wiz or chow down I do a hand on hubs and gauge the rubber if it looks like it may be low. I also keep a grease gun in the sub with good syn wheel bearing grease.

Phil

BUIZILLA
04-25-2008, 12:46 PM
the DPP has a remote display that shows up to 10 tires and there respective position at the same time on a screen, it will audibly and visually alert the situation, and light up the suspect tire position based on the parameters set... i'm not positive but it may also display tire temperature. I also know that once you use each valve, it is pretty much is locked into that pressure range.

BUIZILLA
04-26-2008, 06:01 PM
as a word of caution with any TPM system... if you use the external screw on sensors you need to check for the correct inner valve so it depresses the sender completely. Also, you MUST, IMO, use the heavy duty 65# to 80# rated valve stems, or use screw in stems, as the sensors weight tends to work against the stem when in rotation... I have not installed them yet on my boat trailer for this very reason. Come to now think of it, I think I bought 14 sensors...

Uncle Fester
04-28-2008, 03:24 PM
Thanks for your input BUIZILLA. I did quite a bit of research and spoke to several companies' tech support and decided to go with the Doran. $400 for a 4 tire system. The original one I posted come to find out is disposable. Meaning if one sensor goes bad or when the battery goes dead there is no way to get a replacement and program it into the head unit. The Doran folks were more than helpfull on the phone answering all my questions. And your right.... they advise going with solid stems. Now I just got to yank the tires off the trailer and get some new rubber with solid stems and wait for my order to arrive. We already have a couple of long haul trips planned this year so I'll let everyone know how these things work.

BUIZILLA
04-28-2008, 05:00 PM
If you have steel or galvanized rims I think your going to find you can NOT use screw in stems... but you CAN use the heavy duty rubber ones like are on 3/4 and 1 ton pickups.

Uncle Fester
05-04-2008, 04:47 PM
I just bought 4 new Good Year Marathons today. They said the solid stems are ok on galvinized wheels. I had to order the tires for my size, so I got a few days to change my mind if anyone thinks I shouldn't put in the solid scew in stems.

BUIZILLA
05-04-2008, 04:55 PM
pay attention to how the stem locates on the rim, I think some have slight radius area where the stem goes and they won't seal if that's the case

Uncle Fester
08-08-2008, 12:29 PM
OK... so here is an update on this. I purchased the Doran unit with 4 sensors for my tandem trailer. Couple of weeks ago was the first time to get to try it out when we did a 450 round trip run to the coast. Yesterday we went 300 miles one way and are up at Harrison Lake BC right now.

These things are the cat's meow.... everybody should be using these. Just a quick glance at the monitor tells me the pressure in all the tires. I start off the day at 36 and you can watch the pressure build to about 39-40 and stay there. When you hit a big bump and it makes you shudder and you get paranoind seeing the tires flex you can look at the monitor and put your mind at ease that things are still alright.

Another benefit is seeing that all 4 tires are running the same pressure (when I towed with the Yukon). I used it in my other tow rig and saw that my fronts were running 4 pounds higher after driving than the rears, so I was able to go get a new hitch to raise my tongue so now I am towing flat on both rigs and tire pressure is even again.

It has a nice warning feature if the pressure gets too low or too high. I went to hook up yesterday morning and the alarm was going off cause one of my tires was at 34. I was able to top it off to make it even with the rest. It came with locking feature that screws the sensors down on the stem so you have to have an allen wrench to take them off. So far nobody has attempted to steal them yet.

And when these 5 year batteries die, you send the sealed sensor to them and they return a new sensor with fresh battery for the cost of just a battery.

I'm a pretty happy camper right now...