PDA

View Full Version : 27zr

glashole
04-24-2008, 08:53 AM
I am looking for an honest opinion of the new 27ZR.

How does the cabin compare in size to the old 28 (head room wise mainly)

****pit space? with relation to comfortable number of maximum people

had anyone driven one with the 525

undertaker
04-24-2008, 12:54 PM
Glashole, I rode in a new 27ZR with the 496HO at the Donzi Owners Hometown Rally in Florida, I got to be honest I was not impressed, the boat IMO was a dog with the 496HO, ride was nice, but performance was a bit sluggish again IMO. The boats ****pit and cabin felt smaller than my old 28ZX....if I was looking for a bigger boat again I would look for a 28ZX or 28ZX scorpion boat or go right to a 35 or 38ZR:nilly::nilly:...

The 27ZR with a 525 might be a better set up, have not heard any feedback with this motor....I know they built at least one with a 525...

Undertaker:pimp:

glashole
04-24-2008, 12:58 PM
Exactly what I wanted to know

looks a little tight for a "full figured gentleman" to crawl around in

thanks

Shea

BUIZILLA
04-24-2008, 02:00 PM
Glas.... i'm 6-2 and 232... I could barely squeeze through the cabin door.... like U-taker, I wasn't impressed inshore, or offshore, in fact once offshore he could't leave me in my wittle 18 in the slop..

The Hedgehog
04-24-2008, 06:31 PM
Solution, get a 26ZX, 27ZX or 28ZX. Then add big power. Plenty of room, plenty of speed and good in the slop.

I would love to check out the 27ZR but I know the above mentioned combos work.

Carl C
04-24-2008, 07:41 PM
Someone needs to put serious power in a 27 ZR. It should be a lot more impressive with about 600+ hp. I see it as an affordable way to get into an off-shore boat but need more power/speed. Is the finish, quality, rigging really that bad? Is it any worse than Baja? Remember the boats are only around $100,000. Serious power would put it at maybe $140,000 for a fast, entry level off shore boat. They come standard with hydraulic steering I think and lots of other standard features.

roadtrip se
04-24-2008, 09:18 PM
Is the only way to go in something of this size and weight in stock trim. Any other way and you are going to experience less than exhilirating performance.

As HH said, you can to go big power to push the monstrosity along, but most people aren't going to put up with the trials and will want stock Merc power.

Carl, $100K is a lot of dough to buy a 496HO 27 foot slug, especially when there are nice 28's that can run in the 80's for $60-70K. Yes, we are comparing new versus used, but the performance value is not in a single engine 27 foot boat, new or used.

Dr. Dan
04-24-2008, 09:28 PM
:smash:Shea,

I rode in the same 27 ZR that was at the owners Rally and I agree with Buizilla and Undertaker ...

The layout is kinda unusual.... first off.... if you are not Wilt Chamberlain and have short legs, they are gonna hang in the air if you sit upright in the back seat. The rear Seat Cushions are very firm, they orient you IMO too far forward, almost like you are forced to lean forward... its tough to relax.

The Wind coming into the back seat at speed was almost ridiculous... if the wind was not blocked by a front driver or passenger ...I found that annoying as hell. As far as workmanship... I think like any boat its as good as the Team that put it together... if ya get a good one ... then fine, but its very similar in ride style IMO to a 26, to lofty when it launches... and it felt kinda clumsy... don't get me wrong I am sure alot of that is me coming from a Classic to a Z ride...but I didn't find it reassuring.

The Zr's are all chopped in terms of the Height in the Cabins, they are designed that way... I agree with Ed and Hog Breath, a better value might be a used older model. I don't think juicing it to go 90 mph is gonna create anymore headroom, I think it might even amplify some of the performance concerns... its not long enough to behave like I was expecting it to.... it seemed heavy. For $70K you can find virtually any kind of manf. performance boat that will scratch the "Move Up Itch" much better than a new 27Zr.:doh:

I have rode in 38Zx's and 33Zx's both were Daytona Editions and did have serious power... but their entire attitude was much better than the 27.

Now if they would make a 27 Classic...now then .... we could talk... but profitablity in Classics is not a well heeled argument in discussions at AMH. I think with some tweaking... and reworking of the overall concept...it could work.. but I would be lying if I said I would buy one... I too wanna get a larger ride...but its not gonna be that size Zr....its gonna be about 11 feet longer, its gonna have the performance and balance of a 22 Classic , its gonna be capable of Winning World Championships and its gonna look an aweful lot like a 38ZR Comp.... its also gonna be a few years from now...:tase:

I need to marry a super smart, very tolerant bride, that understands my obsession for Donzis, a woman who would rather be scene in a 38ZR or a Classic Older Top Gun than wallowing around in something less, a woman who enjoys running with the Boys as much as I do............:thumbsup:

Oh wait a minute... I did marry someone like that.. hmmm...ok then... never mind! :spongebob:

Doc of Anticipated Aquisitions & Daydreams :lame2:

glashole
04-25-2008, 06:42 AM
I appreciate the straight talk :smash:

these are pretty much the thoughts that I had
and unfortunately there are no good marinas around here to go and look at these things or drive one

I was in a 28ZX at Cumberland last year and also found it to be lacking a little headroom downstairs which made it uncomfortable for sitting upright and moving around

Carl C
04-25-2008, 07:27 AM
I too wanna get a larger ride...but its not gonna be that size Zr....its gonna be about 11 feet longer, its gonna have the performance and balance of a 22 Classic , its gonna be capable of Winning World Championships and its gonna look an aweful lot like a 38ZR Comp.... its also gonna be a few years from now... It's good to see people talking frankly without fear of insulting Donzi management. I also want to up-size but, like Doc, it will be a few years and maybe I should forget the 27' range and go right to a 38 ZR (no Comp, I'd want the cabin). A boat and tow truck in that size would be a huge financial hit but I'd be able to really explore the Great Lakes. I had wondered why dealers still had older, new 27 ZRs in stock and used ones are already showing up cheap. And so far no one has deemed one worthy of a serious engine. Good thread, thanks for starting it, Shea.

glashole
04-25-2008, 07:41 AM
someone once said to me

"can i be frank with you?"

I said

"that is fine as long as I can still be Shea"

The Hedgehog
04-25-2008, 08:15 AM
I appreciate the straight talk :smash:

these are pretty much the thoughts that I had
and unfortunately there are no good marinas around here to go and look at these things or drive one

I was in a 28ZX at Cumberland last year and also found it to be lacking a little headroom downstairs which made it uncomfortable for sitting upright and moving around

If you found the 28ZX small then you really need to be stepping up to 30+ footers. You can only extract so much from a 28 foot boat.

As per twins, that is not necessary for big power.

mjw930
04-25-2008, 08:23 AM
IMHO in this size range I would be looking at a number of different boats before making a decision. Donzi will get my money IF their product is the best product that fits my needs and performance expectations. Anyone that buys something of this magnitude that let's any perceived "mystique" or lets brand loyalty cloud their judgment is really doing themselves a disservice.

Other single engine boats I would look at in this size / price bracket are:

288 Sunsation
271 FAS3tec Formula
290 Velocity
28 Active Thunder
28 Pantera

The Hedgehog
04-25-2008, 11:01 AM
IMHO in this size range I would be looking at a number of different boats before making a decision. Donzi will get my money IF their product is the best product that fits my needs and performance expectations. Anyone that buys something of this magnitude that let's any perceived "mystique" or lets brand loyalty cloud their judgment is really doing themselves a disservice.

Other single engine boats I would look at in this size / price bracket are:

288 Sunsation
271 FAS3tec Formula
290 Velocity
28 Active Thunder
28 Pantera

I agree. Of those, I like the Pantera but it hits a wall at high speed.

roadtrip se
04-25-2008, 12:52 PM
and expand your choices:

Cig 31
Formula 312
Fountain 32

My last Fountain 32 ran mid to high 80s on stock 500s and
we overnighted on it on a regular basis. I am 6'4" and 235 on a good day.

Or it you want to get into a real nice, cushy setup and still have a little performance too, think Formula 33SS.

As for a local shop, I would make a trip up to Jim Earle Marine up on Georgian Bay. Good people and a great toy store.

mjw930
04-25-2008, 04:34 PM
I stuck with single engine options since bumping up to some of the boats you list almost doubles the price and you don't get twice as much boat......

The cost of a new boat is insane. $200,000 for a 31' twin engined offshore rig, thats just stupid money IMHO.

One thing I'll never buy is a new boat, not when you can get a 5 year old boat for roughly 50% of original wholesale.

A prime used example of any of the boats I listed can be had all day for less than $75K.

The Hedgehog
04-25-2008, 04:45 PM
and expand your choices:
Cig 31
Formula 312
Fountain 32
My last Fountain 32 ran mid to high 80s on stock 500s and
we overnighted on it on a regular basis. I am 6'4" and 235 on a good day.
Or it you want to get into a real nice, cushy setup and still have a little performance too, think Formula 33SS.
As for a local shop, I would make a trip up to Jim Earle Marine up on Georgian Bay. Good people and a great toy store.

Yes sir,

I am with you on that. I am partial to the 31 Bullet myself. If you want a 28 with twins, you may as well get a 30+. I looked at some 31 Bullets. Not fast but much more boat than a 28. Way more, I went smaller for more speed.

I looked hard at all of the above mentioned boats. Like them all.

mjw930
04-25-2008, 05:20 PM
Yes sir,

I am with you on that. I am partial to the 31 Bullet myself. If you want a 28 with twins, you may as well get a 30+. I looked at some 31 Bullets. Not fast but much more boat than a 28. Way more, I went smaller for more speed.

I looked hard at all of the above mentioned boats. Like them all.

Wasn't the original question about a single engined 27ZR?

roadtrip se
04-25-2008, 07:03 PM
I think the topic started with this boat and it has moved on. To add fuel to the fire, I had a Fountain 27 with a 500 in it.
I could cook breakfast and serve happy hour drinks, before the thing got on plane. Tank. It did have a nice top end. I can't imagine the 27ZR would be much different with 525 power. Unless you go the HH route with big power, the single engine 27 foot is not going to be much fun.

So here we are now. Many of us, I am sure, wonder what the next logical step might be, should we decide to step up, new or used. Frankly, I think for the money, a nice twin Scorpion-powered 28 Donzi is a heck of a value in the market today for the money, performance, trailerability, and overall size.

There are a lot of other options out there in this size range and I think it is a great discussion.

mjw930
04-25-2008, 07:37 PM
I don't know about a 27' single engine boat not being a lot of fun. I had a 26' Velocity (28' by today's measurement standards) with a 540 HP 468 ci motor that literally jumped up on plane in less than 5 seconds, cruised at 60 mph and topped out at 84 mph. A friend had a similar boat with a 700 hp blower motor that was an honest 100 mph boat and I gotta tell you, a 26' boat @ 100 mph is a rush in anybody's book.

It was a blast but I heartily agree that a larger boat, something over 32' IMHO, is a whole different class of performance. Their ability to handle bigger water at higher speeds takes it to another level.

I don't think a 28ZX is all that much better than a 27ZR from a fun or ability to handle big water aspect. The lighter weight of the single engine and 1/2 the maintenance and fuel use makes a single engine in anything under 28' or roughly 6000 lbs a much more desirable package.

Personally, having already done the sub 30' big motor single I think any future "go fast" boat is gonna be 32' or larger with reliable normally aspirated power.

More likely, however, is something like a Formula SS in the 330, 350 or 370 size. 60 mph in something I can comfortable overnight in with A/C, TV, stand up head and a really fast blender turns me on more these days than a 38ZRC, sorry guys but money is just too tight to sink $200K into something that's single purpose.

The Hedgehog
04-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Wasn't the original question about a single engined 27ZR?

It was. I think that the point was that if you are looking for big room you will need to get over 30 feet. If you look around and go used you can easily to that. You can pick up a nice Bullet for $60k. Not much more than that and you get a 353 Fastec.

I think that the 27ZR is a nice looking boat. Dollar for dollar, I will smoke one in my 26ZX and probably have a taller cabin. At least for now. Now Hp per Mph and resale? No I probably won't do better.

I would love to see what a 27ZR will do with some real power. I bet it would fly!:shocking: Being lower, it should be a better high speed boat. You can't have it all.

BUIZILLA
04-25-2008, 08:31 PM
IMO, Donzi should put BIG power in the 27ZR, at least a 500 as one option, or redesign the deck/cabin to make it more user friendly as-is. Right now, it doesn't do either of those spectacularly. If your asking 100k+ for a single engine sport day boat, it better be damn spectacular in something... I think if Steve were still around, some changes would be in order..

or get rid of the 27ZR and do a 27 Classic with the under deck opened up like Carl did, or an port open side entry with the front still opened up.. you just might be surprised how well this would be received..

i'm a BIG fan of the ZXO with 6.2's myself... but that's me..

Carl C
04-25-2008, 08:39 PM
The standard equipment list is very impressive. Only the last 6 items are options.

BUIZILLA
04-25-2008, 09:07 PM
help me here..

what exactly is a HIGH PERFORMANCE STEERING WHEEL?

does it turn itself?, titanium? radioactive and magnetic self steer?

what is so HIGH PERFORMANCE about a steering wheel?

Carl C
04-25-2008, 09:26 PM
The high performance steering wheel is said to be good for 3 mph:yes::yes::yes:.

Dr. Dan
04-25-2008, 11:00 PM
The high performance steering wheel is said to be good for 3 mph:yes::yes::yes:.

:spongebob:Carl is correct...and according to Dwight if its a Red High Perfomance Steering Wheel its good for another 2 mph or a total gain of 5mph. Hmmm? Now I can't wait to see how fast a High Performance Full Hydraulic Steering System is gonna add... I bet it will actually subtract speed because its not Red.... Bummer.

After reading all this I am putting the 22 up for sale.... this is ridiculous.... now that I have a Truck that can pull a real boat... I am embarrassed to drive my puny little 22. :lame2:

Time for a change...

Doc of Next :screwy:

Carl C
04-26-2008, 07:38 AM
OK, the equipment list is definately fluffed up. It even has a "fuel fill". Damn, it would be nice if it didn't need one of those:doh:. There are some cool goodies hidden in the list though like full ext hyd steering, gps speedo, livorsi controls & gauges, engine room fire ext., in dash cooler, stereo, compass etc. Doc, I believe the yellow steering wheel has proven to give the most speed gain.

Cuda
04-26-2008, 08:18 AM
If headroom is a major concern, a Donzi might not be for you. SeaRays have much more headroom. But if performance, and a good looking boat is what you want, a Donzi might be the ticket. All boats are a compromise.

I'd be looking at a used boat myself. I just sold my 302 twin surface drive Formula, in excellent shape for $17,500, exactly half of what I originally listed it for. Someone got a helluva lot of boat for the money. It would run 78.6, and even had a separate head.

gcarter
04-26-2008, 08:57 AM
:spongebob: Now I can't wait to see how fast a High Performance Full Hydraulic Steering System is gonna add... I bet it will actually subtract speed because its not Red.... Bummer.
Doc of Next :screwy:
I could change the color for you.
When I have finished the TR, I will know all there is to know about red. :smash::eek!:

LKSD
04-26-2008, 09:46 AM
The 27zr is a sharp boat, but it just didnt fit like a glove for me either..

We came close to ordering a 27zr with the 525, however I really didnt like the space compared to the zx.. That is why we bought one of the last new 26zx's & I put together a blower application for it.. It has more space, its deeper & now considerably faster than the 27 would have been.. I am quite happy with it.. If I was to do the Zr at all it would be a 35 or 38.. ;) Jamie / Lakeside

The Hedgehog
04-26-2008, 11:08 AM
The 27zr is a sharp boat, but it just didnt fit like a glove for me either..
We came close to ordering a 27zr with the 525, however I really didnt like the space compared to the zx.. That is why we bought one of the last new 26zx's & I put together a blower application for it.. It has more space, its deeper & now considerably faster than the 27 would have been.. I am quite happy with it.. If I was to do the Zr at all it would be a 35 or 38.. ;) Jamie / Lakeside

For some reason I think that you had the right idea.:rock:

I would still like to see the 27ZR with big power though.

LKSD
04-26-2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks.. :) me too... The only draw back is she was all for the blower, she just hates all of the prop testing we have been doing.. Her answer when she gets tired of the boat is to go into a bigger boat.. (she must have a money tree in the yard that I dont know about.. lol )

Julie @ Throttle up is going over my 30 maximus right now.. She is doing a perf finish & doing some F1 tricks to it..

Overall I am quite happy with it I went from a 24p bravo one originally to a Blower with a 30 b1 then to a 32b1, now I am working with a 30 & 32 maximus.. The prop testing though has been getting on the wifes nerves, so Kristin keeps talking about my friends 2 new Zrs that he has for sale ( a 35 & a 38 with twin 700 Nxt's).. Who knows maybe if my other 2 business' do well.. lol

I told her wait a little if things stay the same the 38 with the 700's will be there when I'm ready.. The fuel & economy B.S. wont have that one walking out of the showroom easily.. lol :D I am sure with my 16-18 hour days I will get there someday.. Hopefully before I have one foot in the grave and need Undertaker's services. LOL

:D Jamie / Lakeside

The Hedgehog
04-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Thanks.. :) me too... The only draw back is she was all for the blower, she just hates all of the prop testing we have been doing.. Her answer when she gets tired of the boat is to go into a bigger boat.. (she must have a money tree in the yard that I dont know about.. lol )

Julie @ Throttle up is going over my 30 maximus right now.. She is doing a perf finish & doing some F1 tricks to it..

Overall I am quite happy with it I went from a 24p bravo one originally to a Blower with a 30 b1 then to a 32b1, now I am working with a 30 & 32 maximus.. The prop testing though has been getting on the wifes nerves, so Kristin keeps talking about my friends 2 new Zrs that he has for sale ( a 35 & a 38 with twin 700 Nxt's).. Who knows maybe if my other 2 business' do well.. lol

I told her wait a little if things stay the same the 38 with the 700's will be there when I'm ready.. The fuel & economy B.S. wont have that one walking out of the showroom easily.. lol :D I am sure with my 16-18 hour days I will get there someday.. Hopefully before I have one foot in the grave and need Undertaker's services. LOL

:D Jamie / Lakeside

Yes sir! What are GPS speeds are you seeing?

I was encouraged to go to a twin as well. If I could leave things stock that would have been a good option. I like to go fast though.

LKSD
04-28-2008, 09:24 AM
Yes sir! What are GPS speeds are you seeing?
I was encouraged to go to a twin as well. If I could leave things stock that would have been a good option. I like to go fast though.

Basically with the 32 maximus about 80mph gps with a full load, however I am still fooling with my props as the wheel has my rpms a little on the low side from where I want them. Julie is currently working on my new 30 maximus to get me a few hundred more rpm & grab better. I have already grabbe over 10 mph gps with the blowe & Im still seeing some increases.. I wonder how fast she will be with only a little fuel & just me in there once I finish the propping..! ;) Jamie

The Hedgehog
04-28-2008, 09:35 AM
Basically with the 32 maximus about 80mph gps with a full load, however I am still fooling with my props as the wheel has my rpms a little on the low side from where I want them. Julie is currently working on my new 30 maximus to get me a few hundred more rpm & grab better. I have already grabbe over 10 mph gps with the blowe & Im still seeing some increases.. I wonder how fast she will be with only a little fuel & just me in there once I finish the propping..! ;) Jamie

Nice! You should see low 80's That's fast.