PDA

View Full Version : Say it ain't so...

boatfever
04-22-2008, 01:48 AM
http://www.classicglastron.com/lbj-glastron-pg3.htm

This link is to the third page of a site with a '65 Glastron V-204 owned/used by LBJ. Owner claims the big Glastron with the 409 inch, 310 hp, Mercruiser out ran the Secret Service guys in Donzi's. He's even linked a clip. Nothing against Glastrons. I spent many a mile behind a few on slalom and inner tubes (Yes, actual truck tire inner tubes you paid less than ten bucks for, man what fun days...) I know there were many power options and don't know if the Guv'ment would have sprung for Holman Moody setups just to chase LBJ around Granite Shoals Lake (now Lake LBJ)

But somebody please tell me the average middle sixties Ski Sporter or 18 2+3 could smoke the big ol' honkin' Glastron. Of course if yer boss is the president of the US of A, and he wants to think his boat is faster than yours, whats a lil' ol secret service agent to do...?
Anyway, it's a pretty interesting read.

Regards to all,
Boatfever

Sweet little 16
04-22-2008, 06:56 AM
the 18 barrelback in those shots was a HM 427 side oiler v-drive it had alot of serious hardware too, but not the kind that makes a boat go fast just to make things STOP:fire: plus look at the size of some of those boys, come on it's a secret service boat how fast it goes is the first secret ;)

boatfever
04-22-2008, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the reply. They did mention the gear on board. I'd like to know just what they had. Remembering this was not too long after the JFK assassination, I'm sure it was all pretty serious bidness.

Also, I applaud your knowledge of 60's Donzi's. Did you recognize it was a Holman Moody 427 from the one photo? Or, are you ex secret service? (just kidding)

I remember seeing a few v-drives as a kid but can't remember if I was looking at any 18's or if they were all Hornets.

No tag line at the moment,
Boatfever

f_inscreenname
04-22-2008, 05:35 PM
I’m surprised they had something that small.. With the two boats side by side the folks in the Donzi were to low in the water to protect anyone.

boatfever
04-22-2008, 11:00 PM
Other photos show secret service guys (looked to be two) in the boat with LBJ. ya gotta consider the time and place too.

Ok, got a tag line now...
Time to lose the Carver 3207,
Boatfever