PDA

View Full Version : Outdrive Paint?

markdonzi
04-21-2008, 07:22 PM
I am having ny Merc Alpha1 outdrive painted next week and would appreciate some help. What kind of paint should the shop use? Is there a specific way to apply it that works better? I was thinking of painting it the same navy blue color as hull instead of the Merc black is that possible? Any advice would be appreciated.
MarkDonzi 87 Minx Lake George NY:propeller:

gcarter
04-21-2008, 07:51 PM
How many opinions do you want????
LOL.......you'll get them here.:propeller:

Strip the drive to bare metal and protect it w/a good epoxy primer. Paint w/most any high end automotive paint.

I could be more specific, but you'll get 15 more specific reccomendations.:wink:

gcarter
04-21-2008, 07:56 PM
If you want to search my threads, I have one or two on the subject.

mrfixxall
04-21-2008, 08:19 PM
I am having ny Merc Alpha1 outdrive painted next week and would appreciate some help. What kind of paint should the shop use? Is there a specific way to apply it that works better? I was thinking of painting it the same navy blue color as hull instead of the Merc black is that possible? Any advice would be appreciated.
MarkDonzi 87 Minx Lake George NY:propeller:

ppg epoxy dp 90 then squirt it with imron:)

BlownCrewCab
04-21-2008, 08:21 PM
One of the best methods is to etch/alodine/then Zinc chromate primer. the etch makes sure the primer will stick, the alodine protects the aluminum and the zinc chromate is one of the only primers that really sticks to aluminum. when you sand it down and see the green colored primer, thats zinc chromate. if the finish is pretty good on it now just sand it smooth and paint it. all the etch and other stuff has already been done, why remove it just to do it again. if what you have isn't flakeing off, sand it and paint over it...

DonziJon
04-22-2008, 06:36 PM
I have always used the paint that Mercruiser sells in a spaycan. Both primer...and the Black Finish coat. I am a "Purist". :smash: Sand everything down smooth......with wet sandpaper to your satisfaction.

HOWEVER: You had better adhear to the instructions on the can. Can't remember exactly, but I think it says you should WAIT 7 days before applying a second coat. If you don't wait...and... recoat before the time period: THE Freakin second coat WILL LIFT the first coat.

Other than that, it's a great way to go. :hangum: JOHN

Carl C
04-22-2008, 07:37 PM
I've had good results with the spray cans too. Use primer first. The paint used to be called Quicksilver Phantom Black Enamal Spray Paint.

Cuda
04-22-2008, 08:36 PM
I haven't tried it yet, but I'm betting the stuff I use to refinish tub would work. It's by far, the toughest paint I've ever dealt with.

Cuda
04-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Oh yeah, keep it black too. It won't look right a different color, and even though it might be the color you like, I guarantee you'll get less money for the boat because of it.