PDA

View Full Version : Engine stalling question

KennyD
04-21-2008, 06:50 AM
Hello everyone.
I have an 89 regazza with a 5.7 engine, a quadrajet carb and an OMC cobra outdrive. In the driveway on a garden hose and muffs the engine runs fine with and without the the drive engaged, I took it to the lake for a test run and and it stared right up but when I engaged the drive and got to about 1500-2000 rpms the engine experienced power surges and then loss power then powers back up then eventually stalls and is hard to restart then when it finally does restart it acts the same in idle, then while in gear the whole situation happens again. Since I stored my boat over the winter with a nearly empty fuel tank, could the problem be that the fuel tank has gotten condensation/water in it and that's what's causing my problem? It has half a tank of fresh fuel in it now and a new fuel filter.
I would be grateful for any help.
:doh:

MOP
04-21-2008, 08:11 AM
Sounds like fuel, pull the fuel filter and dump it into a container so you can look at what it may have in it. There may be a little water and whatever, if you find junk there is another inline filter in the fitting where the gas line hooks to the carb that I would change even if it looks decent. If all that fails then it is time to pull the carb, you may get away with just cleaning it but putting a kit in is always advisable.

Phil

KennyD
04-21-2008, 01:32 PM
what about the fuel pump, could that be the cause? if so why, if not why?

BUIZILLA
04-21-2008, 01:50 PM
water in the carb

KennyD
04-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Okay, so I just checked the filter and ther was no "junk" in the fuel when i poured it out but there was about a half inch of water on top of the fuel, so what do you think?

DON N.
04-21-2008, 05:51 PM
The Fuel Would Be On Top , Because The Water Is Heavier . Phil Is Right On Target . One Year I Had A Problem Like Yours After Much Agravation I Found The
Rubber O Ring That Goes On My Fuel Tank Fill Cap Was Missing , So Because Of That It Was Letting Water In The Fuel Tank (rain) . Hope This Helps .

KennyD
04-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Well then if that's the case then there was 3 inches of water and a half inch of fuel....so now all I have to do is wait for the Texas wind to stop blowing and take it for a test run on the lake.

Thanks for the help guys.

MOP
04-21-2008, 07:37 PM
Ok since it appears as if you do not have any junk, take the time to pull the carb off. At the very least take the top off, water left to sit in the carb usually causes some corrosion. Depending on how bad it may look, the next step is a need to know condition of the innards. Proper fuel distribution is essential, you don't want to damage your toy this early in the year. I very well could be a minor issue but play safe.

Phil

MOP
04-21-2008, 07:40 PM
If you are not familiar with the Qjet find someone that is, there are few things that are a must to know about taking it apart and getting it back together. It is one of my favorites, probably the most flexible carb ever made.

Phil

KennyD
04-23-2008, 09:22 AM
I took my boat out for a test ride after accomplishing all the tasks. It did the same thing at first start up, but after a little while it started to smooth out, but during turns I noticed that the engine started to bog down, but when I drove it straight it acted ok...what gives?

BUIZILLA
04-23-2008, 09:58 AM
water in carb

floats are set too low

MOP
04-23-2008, 12:19 PM
water in carb
floats are set too low

Do We Hear An Echo!

Some people just hate to pull the carb, they would rather hurt the mill!

Cuda
04-23-2008, 12:45 PM
I chased down the exact same problem for one engine in my Formula. It took a year to figure out I had a weak fuel pump. It would rev to 5200 on the hose, but as soon as I tried to get on a plane, the starboard engine would pop and die.

KennyD
04-27-2008, 03:29 PM
So the problem was two fold...one, a ton of water in the fuel, fuel filter and carb....two, loss of spark.

Solution, pulled carb and had serviced, drained water from fuel and replaced filter, changed plugs, points and wires.

Now it runs like a raped ape!

Thanks for the help guys...I just got back from an weekend of boating on lake Texoma and it was GREAT!