PDA

View Full Version : 93 king cobra w/ trouble shifting

jimkav
04-20-2008, 04:38 PM
Lever tight going into drive and reverse. Have trouble getting it into drive and reverse.Sometimes I have to give a little throttle before it will engage. Any help would be appreciated.
Volvo style OMC outdrive

MOP
04-20-2008, 04:54 PM
Lever tight going into drive and reverse. Have trouble getting it into drive and reverse.Sometimes I have to give a little throttle before it will engage. Any help would be appreciated.
Volvo style OMC outdrive

This is the wrong area to post this but I am fairly sure the problem is the cable between the drive and the boat has gone bad. You can check this out by disconnecting the cable that comes from the shifter back at the engine, then try the shifter if it is easy and smooth the problem is in the cable to the drive.

Phil

RedDog
04-20-2008, 05:09 PM
no real help, but it should have a shift interrupter switch that momentarily kills the engine when you shift into gear. That could be the problem - but then again on the King Cobra I use to have the switch was disabled and it shifted fine.

jimkav
04-20-2008, 05:17 PM
Feels alot like pulling the clutch in on my wife 73 honda CB 350

MOP
04-20-2008, 05:48 PM
It is a cone shifter, no interrupter.

I posted this in your other post!

This is the wrong area to post this but I am fairly sure the problem is the cable between the drive and the boat has gone bad. You can check this out by disconnecting the cable that comes from the shifter back at the engine, then try the shifter if it is easy and smooth the problem is in the cable to the drive.

Phil

Ed Donnelly
04-20-2008, 06:28 PM
Fix It Don't Sell It:propeller::angel::propeller: ......Ed

MOP
04-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Fix It Don't Sell It:propeller::angel::propeller: ......Ed
That sounds like a heated thought.

Greg K
04-22-2008, 05:19 PM
Why is this the wrong area to post??
Anyhow...
It could be either cable from the controller to the shifter or cable from shifter to the drive. Both are easy to check at the shifter by hand. It could also be the interupter. Check at the shifter with the engine running triggering the switch mounted on the shifter. Tension on the cable from the shifter to the drive will trigger it.

And yes even though it's a cone clutch, it still needs the interupter!

jimkav
04-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Seems to be the cable to the drive. I disconected it at the engine and checked. Does the outdrive have to be removed to replace the cable? or can you fish the new cable through? (new to this)?
thanks

Greg K
04-24-2008, 06:05 PM
You'll need to pull the drive off. You'll need the cable, new nuts that hold the drive on, remove the trim rams and pin they are connected to. A new o-ring for the area between the drive and transom where the cable attaches to the drive and some sealant for the water transfer between the drive and transom plate. Might as well check the alignment as well while it's off. Forklift or chain fall will be helpful doing this yourself.

One more thing, the nut holding the cable tight to the drive is a pain in the .... good luck.

RedDog
04-25-2008, 07:06 AM
while difficult, I was able to remove and reinstall the drive by brute force and careful balance. No lift or jack used.

Removing the drive is really no big deal