PDA

View Full Version : Ditch trip 1st report

smokediver
04-20-2008, 07:24 AM
Well , we made it ! Only 3 boats showed up in Fort Myers . Bob aka tidbart w/ ranya , Nate aka jamesbond w/ gene aka budman and myself with my daughter and friend mark ... We put in right at the Franklin lock and went through another 3 locks until making the final lock at the Port Lucie river ... The trip was really nice but LONG ! 243 miles round trip !!!! Bob had a little trouble but thanks to Riptide , he was able to get his boat into a marina and make it to the hotel.... A lot of drinking and eating then transpired and there were some hurtin boys for the trip back !!! This is a trip that you really gotta move ! The locks on each end both open at 10 am and close at 3 pm .. 5 hours to go through 3 locks a few idle zones , etc ... I think we cruised at around 40 mph pretty much the whole way with a few full throttle bursts here and there .... In my 18 with 350 mag , 2003 , i burned 35 gallons each way so a full tank will make the trip ... As a note: the area in Stuart would make a great hometown rally point !!!! Pirates cove resort and marina was really nice , bar , live entertainment , good eats and right off a nice protected bay with many options of places to go !!!
I will post a few picks when i get them ... I left a few things out but what a great trip with great people !!!

Jamesbon
04-20-2008, 03:31 PM
Thanks for starting the thread, Smoke! We had a blast with everyone. Definitely a good trip for those of you who like to drive. There really isn't much time to mess around if you plan to make that last lock the same day.

I think I burned around 40 + gallons each way. I know at the end of each trip my fuel gauge didn't even bounce :eek!:

I could see this run or a portion of it being suitable for the hometown rally due to the flat water.

Here's some pics for ya....

If ya look closely, you can see the higher water level on the outside of the lock. It was very strange to see, but pretty cool.

Jamesbon
04-20-2008, 03:36 PM
Here's a few more....

That guy in the "Picnic Boat," hung with us from start to finish. For a big boat, she had no problem MOVING... I guess that's what 900 HP in outboards will do for ya...

Rip's yellow 22 is HOTTT! Thanks for making it out!

Most of the locks took about 15 to 20 minutes to fill/drain and level with the opening side. The operator on one of the last locks "let it eat!" With only the two smaller boats in there, he flung the doors open and were were level in about 1 minute. We had to laugh. He was the coolest lock operator on the whole trip!

MOP
04-20-2008, 05:15 PM
Nate when we had the Stuart office I would go to Pirates cove of and on, you hit it on the head a really great place. Do they still have the cool tin boat out front.

Phil

BUIZILLA
04-20-2008, 05:23 PM
bet that tug made a muddy trail across the pond :doh:

ChromeGorilla
04-20-2008, 05:41 PM
Dayum....looks like a nice run.....thats it... after I move to FL this summer, I'm in for the next one. :yes:

Cuda
04-20-2008, 05:56 PM
I have two questions.
1. What's the boat shooting the roostertail?
2. Where's Buddy's maxipad? :)

smokediver
04-20-2008, 11:01 PM
here are a few pics ...

Cuda
04-21-2008, 06:15 AM
here are a few pics ...
Snowstorm? :)

smokediver
04-21-2008, 10:55 AM
here ya go !

zelatore
04-21-2008, 12:10 PM
The 'picnic boat' is a pretty new design from Marlow:

http://www.marlowmarine.com/prowler.htm

The Prowler has been on the market for a few years now, but I think the O/B powered version is only a year old.

Interesting boat as I like that general style, but I've never seen one on the west coast.

Jamesbon
04-21-2008, 06:50 PM
MOP,
I think they traded the "cool tin boat out front" for this opulent sport fish. (pic below)

Buizilla,
I bet it would stir up any water it passed through. 99% of the way I noticed 11-22 foot depths. The only passage we made that looked shallow was a brief portion through the middle of lake. I think we may have deviated from the channel a bit, but we were going about 50 +. Once I noticed the sandy bottom, I wasn't about to let up :smash:

...oh yeah, there was one particularly rocky, shallow bottom, only feet from the channel, I won't mention... I'm sure my fellow gang will b glad to enlighten the rest of you... Any good navigator will bypass this hazardous place in their sleep...

Bring it on Chrome! Next time we have enough "takers," I'm in again.

Cuda,
1. That would be the stern of "yours truly," doing what Budman calls "let her eat!" :eek!:
2. Budman can answer that one... :)

Smoke,
Nice pics! Thanx! Please e-mail or post any more you have. I'll have to photoshop my bimini out b4 printing n framing LOL!
We ran without the bimini up the fist day. The second day, well, I was glad we had it. I'm still fried a bit even after being under the top the second day.

Zelatore,
That was a beautiful "Prowler." We had to laugh everytime we lost sight of it and she re-appeared, IN FRONT OF US! That boat was no slouch. I'm guessing she was a 50 mph "picnic boat." Did a yachtworld search on them today....they are big money players... :)

PS Budmann is certainly a great first mate! Doesn't look the best in a bikini, but he'll do ;) Thanks man! Anytime....

-Budmann, can you explain "the big block hop" and "the Donzi dance?!" LOL!!!

MOP
04-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Nate years ago next to the walkway going in like a big planter was a home made steel boat, maybe 23-5 foot the cabin was a 50's era Studebaker car top with the wrap around rear windows. Someone had built and actually used the ugly duck, was a great conversation piece!

Phil

smokediver
04-21-2008, 10:14 PM
i will post some more and i will have to hit mark up .. i know he has some good ones from the bar !!!

smokediver
04-22-2008, 06:48 AM
a few more

Cuda
04-22-2008, 07:07 AM
I envy you guys. I've always wanted to make that trip.

riptide
04-22-2008, 06:45 PM
i will post some more and i will have to hit mark up .. i know he has some good ones from the bar !!!
where are the pict that "I NEVER MISS" took? Rip

Budmann
04-22-2008, 07:11 PM
O.K... couldn't resist the urge to START posting...

enjoy..

Oh, my room was shall we say... well equipped!!!::(:(:(:(

Breakfast of Champions!!!

Just some GREAT boating!!

Thanks for everything gang!!!! Ihad a blast!!!!!!!

BUIZILLA
04-22-2008, 07:36 PM
ahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Bud got the room with the toilet roll bar :doh:

hahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

they saw that cooler and KNEW you'd need it in the morning :crossfing:

hahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Budmann
04-22-2008, 07:45 PM
more...

smokediver
04-22-2008, 07:55 PM
the pic i wish i woud have took .... Gene , laying on the bow of nate's boat ... hung over , holding a line in the lock telling a "blow boater" a thing or two ... Priceless !!!!

Mr X
04-22-2008, 07:56 PM
Looks like a great trip! All the boats look awesome!

Cuda
04-22-2008, 08:34 PM
Damn Buddy, that looks exactly like your cooler did when we ran the Suwanee a couple years back. :)

I love getting the handicap room. You feel like a king, sitting on that high toilet! :)

smokediver
04-23-2008, 06:39 PM
Cheyenne was taking pics too ! LOL ... here is budman and jamesbond ... the morning after !!! too funny !!!

Budmann
04-23-2008, 06:58 PM
That was after I finished yelling at the blow boater!! It was EXAUSTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:shocking::shocking::shock ing:

onesubdrvr
04-23-2008, 07:16 PM
That would be a great trip, and one I WILL make in A DONZI at some point in my life :)

Catch 22, BabyDonzi and myself ran from Fort Pierce to damn near Indian Town, right at 100miles round trip - all in one day. It was a nice run, I just wish I could have kept up with those guys. It ended bad for 2 of us, Baby Donzi ran out of gas, and I blew my outdrive :doh:

But it was great fun anyways :D

Glad you guys had fun, would have been nice to have a little bigger group, but looks like a blast regardless

Wayne

Jamesbon
04-23-2008, 09:07 PM
Oh my... :hangum:

How will I ever redeem myself after you all see me like this?

Nice shots Cheyenne!

...It was Budman's fault... :doh:

Uh, no really, the current was so strong I had to lay on the deck and push off the wall with all my strength...

ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

naplesdonzi
04-23-2008, 09:20 PM
where are the pict that "I NEVER MISS" took? Rip

Here's a few photos... LOL
Just remember you asked for them!!!!

Budmann
04-23-2008, 09:26 PM
:doh:

Budmann
04-23-2008, 09:28 PM
you Are Not Right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

naplesdonzi
04-23-2008, 09:34 PM
you Are Not Right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why thank you!!!!
But i was in great company!!!

Classique
04-24-2008, 06:30 PM
Cheyenne was taking pics too ! LOL ... here is budman and jamesbond ... the morning after !!! too funny !!!
Now that's what i am talking about... CHEYENNE is my hero!

Budmann
04-24-2008, 07:03 PM
I HATE CAMERAS WHEN THEIR POINTED AT ME!!!!!!!!:shocking::wink:

Falcon1
04-26-2008, 08:36 AM
wish I could have made it, great pics!

Falcon

cadillacboats
05-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Please feel free to use my house on the St. Lucie Waterway as a parking or launching area for any of the Donzi family or friends. (8) miles west or before the last lock which lets you into Stuart. 8625 SW Kanner Hwy, Indiantown, FL 34956 (772) 285-2266 cadillacboats@me.com. You can also view my strange collection of 60's and 70's fiberglass speedboats and boats from the Miami area. Thanks, Cadillac McDaniel