PDA

View Full Version : Raw Water Pump. Which hose goes where?

TexasLXC275
04-19-2008, 07:15 PM
Have a 7.4 merc EFI. Can't remember which hose goes to which inlet on the pump. There's a collapsible hose that wraps around the engine and connects at the front of the engine and another hose that's very rigid and goes out to the drive. Which one goes where?

RedDog
04-19-2008, 08:02 PM
facing from front to rear, the one on the left goes to the stern / drive.

TexasLXC275
04-19-2008, 09:59 PM
facing from front to rear, the one on the left goes to the stern / drive.

Thanks for your help RedDog. I took a look at the back of the housing. It's got all the info you need to figure out which hose goes where. It points in a certain direction if it a Left Hand rotation. I noticed by the shape of the fins on the impeller that it's indeed a LH rotation. It the has the inlet/outlets labeled as LH out and RH out. Since I'm LH I would hook up the collapsible hose that runs around the back of the engine to the front of the engine on the casing that says LH Out and the hard hose that goes to the stern would go to the other inlet/outlet. The back of the casing also has a clock diagram which shows you which way is up. After it's all said and done with you were correct, the stern hose is on the left. It's kind of upper left though. About at the 10 or 11 o'clock position. Does all this sound right to you?

Pismo
04-20-2008, 06:23 AM
I find it is the top/higher one that goes to the hard drive hose. Usually the engine mount is in the way of the bottom one making it hard to put them on backwards. You'll know fast either way without damaging anything.

Donzigo
04-20-2008, 07:27 AM
It's a good idea to put two clamps on both of these hoses as well as the nipple going to the outdrive. In fact, I would recommend the type of clamps that are tightened by the nuts witht he extra wide metal, instead of the common "foo-foo" clamps.

..............one who has learned by having problems.

Richard