PDA

View Full Version : Help...Water not circulating after de-winterizing

TexasLXC275
04-19-2008, 02:02 PM
The engine is a 7.4 merc efi attached to a LXC275 boat with a Bravo One. Last fall I winterized. Now I've put all the hoses back on, brought it home and hooked up the rabbit ears with a garden hose to the Bravo One. The engine started right and ran great but I there's no water circulating thru it. It's possible I got the two hoses mixed up connecting to the water pump. I connected the very stiff hard hose that runs from through the drive to the top opening on the pump. The collapsible hose the wraps around the engine is connected to the lower opening on the pump. I ran it like this and then took the hoses off at the pump and not a drop of water to be found. I switched the hoses and ran it, then took hoses off and again not a drop. Which is the correct way to hook up the hoses??? Is it even possible to get water into the engine with a rabbit ear setup?

RedDog
04-19-2008, 08:09 PM
hummm...

see your other post.

my water pump has the inlet/outlet side by side. Not upper and lower.

so I don't know

PS - using the "rabbit ears" - I have had to firmly hold them on to the drive to get water to flow into the engine until suction takes over. I have since bought a better muff that eliminates that problem

mjw930
04-19-2008, 08:48 PM
Yep, it's backwards. Hopefully you threw enough water into the pump to not fry the impeller.....

As per your other post the left (slightly lower too) side is the intake from the outdrive.

TexasLXC275
04-19-2008, 08:50 PM
Well, I have further developments. I stuck my finger in one of the inlets.....pulled out rubber. That tells me I've got impeller issues. So I took off the water pump and took it apart. I see that the impeller is wasted. How do you get the impeller off the shaft?

mrfixxall
04-21-2008, 08:32 PM
Well, I have further developments. I stuck my finger in one of the inlets.....pulled out rubber. That tells me I've got impeller issues. So I took off the water pump and took it apart. I see that the impeller is wasted. How do you get the impeller off the shaft?

the impeller should slide off the shaft,,give it a hard pull or see if you can put a screwdriver behind the impeller and give it a twist.. make sure you get the complete kit..impeller, orings, ss back plate and a new plastic housing..use liquid soap on the new impeller when installing,apply a light coat of greece on the impeller shaft and most of all dont use air tools when installing the housing thet brake easy...you may also want to check and make sure you got all the ends of the impeller,their could be some pieces of the impeller logded in the oil cooler..:)

MOP
04-21-2008, 09:56 PM
Take two screw drivers, put the points about half way on the impeller use equal pressure and pry it out. Do not go to deep with the points as it transmits to much of the pressure against the housing which can crack.