PDA

View Full Version : Cutting My Boat

rtgogo
04-17-2008, 09:26 PM
I may need to cut the opening in the fiberglass where my stereo is mounted in my 22zx. I bought a new cover, but not sure it will fit in the existing cutout. Just wondering if anyone has any pointers for me so I don't screw it up. I am planning to use a dremel tool at this point, but wondered if there are any issues i need to be aware of and wasn't sure if I should cut the glass or grind it down?

thanks!

BlownCrewCab
04-18-2008, 06:03 AM
A Buzz saw is the best tool to use (if you can get one) the dash may be too thick for a dremel, how much do you have to take off?

DickB
04-18-2008, 06:39 AM
The gel coat is easy to chip. This is especially true if you use a jigsaw from the outside surface with the saw bade teeth cutting out of the gel coat surface. Use a blade with fine pitch teeth. On the other hand, if your cover has a lip of ¼ " or more, minor chipping won’t show. Cover the dash with a liberal amount of masking tape to protect the surface if you use a jigsaw or reciprocating saw. You can draw your cutout outline on the tape. One technique is to drill holes at the corners of your rectangular cutout and saw between the holes. I did this using a hand keyhole saw when I didn’t have accessible power for my jigsaw and it worked quite well. I suppose a Dremel could work, but on my boat the dash was about an inch thick; that’s a lot of material for a Dremel to cut. Personally, I can’t cut a straight line with a Dremel.

mjw930
04-18-2008, 09:43 AM
I used a high speed air saw with a 24T blade. It worked with minimal chipping.

http://www.northerntool.com/images/product/images/11241_lg.gif

BlownCrewCab
04-18-2008, 10:18 AM

Hence the "Buzz Saw" Thats exactly what I was Talking about:smash:

mjw930
04-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Hence the "Buzz Saw" Thats exactly what I was Talking about:smash:

I figured it was :wink:

Cuda
04-18-2008, 12:04 PM

I need to get one of those. I love pneumatic tools.

rtgogo
04-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks guys..appreciate your help...didn't think about the tape and pilot hole idea. I will hopefully have a nice new trimmed out interior to show off on the board real soon! The boxes of little pieces just keep arriving at my door :cool: ....so off to the lake we go....toolbox in tow...

hardcrab
04-18-2008, 12:18 PM
If you use a jig saw, use a "downcut" blade. This will prevent the teeth from pulling chips out of the surface.
I like the idea of the reciprocating air saw with a fine tooth blade.

Bob
04-18-2008, 04:44 PM
Drill a hole in each corner. The "rounded" corner won't propogate cracks as easily.

rtgogo
04-20-2008, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. Hole needed to be cut a bit more than i anticipated and I froze. Will take it on when I have the proper tool...I've done a lot with my dremel, but like the idea of a new implement for my air compressor much better.....thanks again...

BlownCrewCab
04-20-2008, 11:45 AM
Give me your address and I'll send you one to use....You have an air compressor Right?

zimm17
04-21-2008, 09:08 AM
I've done several cut-outs on my Donzi (steering hole, trim indicator hole, gauge holes, stereo hole, dash instrument holes, and 4 pop-up cleat holes).

By far the best tool I used is a "cut-out" tool with 1/8" bits. They're basically a heavier duty version of a dremel tool. I picked up a dewalt at home depot. I think it was around $70. You won't use a dremel for heavy work again. Get a pack of extra bits too- I used a new bit for every hole because the thick fiberglass/plywood dulls them down quick.

Get some blue masking tape to protect the gelcoat from cracking.

The cut-out tool will let you go as slow as you want and it's easy to follow the lines.

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=2750