PDA

View Full Version : Donzimen I Need Help

jamieZ
04-17-2008, 02:45 PM
I am trying to replace the mirrors on the inside of my engine hatch. I have a Z21 and they are peeling etc.They have been there for 20 years.There are three of them.I've been to a glass place, they tell me plexiglass would melt.Not much help at all.Where can I get these mirrors? Thanks, Jamie

glashole
04-17-2008, 03:11 PM
how close are the mirrors to the engine

I don't think it would get hot enough to melt

if it was a concern you could go to a stainless steel mirror

Where are you in Ontario

I don't think this would have been a factory item

jamieZ
04-18-2008, 09:08 AM
I'm on Howe Island, St. Lawrence River. I think I will have to look on e-bay. I'm not looking for a piece of Apollo 3. The glass shops send me to the fabricators, the fabricators send me to the glass shops. Jamie

glashole
04-18-2008, 10:00 AM
send me a picture of what you have

I have a glass shop in Trenton and might be able to find something that will work

either post it here or send it to me at

trentonglassandwindow@cogeco.net

have a good one

Shea

Cuda
04-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Go to a plastics distributor. They have mirrored plexi there. It won't melt. If in doubt, ask them.

glashole
04-18-2008, 12:26 PM
i just checked it out

a 4x8 sheet of 1/8" plexiglass mirror is about $190.00

joel3078
04-18-2008, 12:26 PM
Had the hatch mirror replaced in my 24' black widow. It's a one piece mirrored polycarbonate sheet about 1/4" thick. Yours is 3 smaller pieces so thinner material could be used. Polycarbonate is what safety glasses and lots of clear machine guards are made of. Not enough heat in engine compartment to melt the plastic. The original mirror was not melted. It was broken in many places due to cracking at fasteners and at the clevis mount for the hatch lift ram. Gotta use rubber grommets or at least rubber washers on both sides of fasteners to minimize future cracking.

By the way, lots of new performance boats have mirrored hatches. Go ask other brands what they use and how they mount it.

jamieZ
09-11-2008, 08:06 AM
Mirror plexiglass is junk. It has been in for the season. It sags when hot and has started to crack.Big waste of time and money.The original stuff is like metal,very thin.SOmebody, somewhere has to know something about this.Maybe I will contact the Company.I need to get it right this time.Jamie

The Hedgehog
09-11-2008, 09:12 AM
Mirror plexiglass is junk. It has been in for the season. It sags when hot and has started to crack.Big waste of time and money.The original stuff is like metal,very thin.SOmebody, somewhere has to know something about this.Maybe I will contact the Company.I need to get it right this time.Jamie

I have the mirrored plexi stuff on my 26 and it acts fine. I wonder if there are different grades of it.