PDA

View Full Version : Engine timing Question

barstool
04-16-2008, 06:58 PM
I have a 98 Donzi 21XLR with a 305 Carburetor 220 hp engine, Alpha 1 out drive.
Changed the plugs with AC MR43LTS, Cap and rotor, fuel filter.
Went to set timing, warmed up engine, shut down engine, grounded the purple/white timing wire and refired engine and set timing to 10 degrees as per spec. Shut of engine, unhooked ground from timing connector, refired engine and only have 17 degrees total advance at 2500 rpm.
What should that be, as in the automotive engines 36 degrees is what we look for.
I should point out this engine has never ran out like I thought it should, and the plugs were black with soot. The engine only had 65 hrs on it when I got the boat and now has 96.
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. .

mrfixxall
04-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Try reving the engine to 3500 and see if the electronic advance kicks in..If you set it at 10 and the module is a 25 advanced module then your total would be 35..try looking at the part # on the module and ask a merc tech or parts guy what the advance on the module is, or em me the part # and i can lok it up for you..

barstool
04-17-2008, 06:59 AM
Try reving the engine to 3500 and see if the electronic advance kicks in..If you set it at 10 and the module is a 25 advanced module then your total would be 35..try looking at the part # on the module and ask a merc tech or parts guy what the advance on the module is, or em me the part # and i can lok it up for you..

Thanks for the reply,
I will check it out this weekend, I wasn't sure at what rpm the max advance was at. I am running the engine on the trailer, an didn't want to over rev it, but will have help on the weekend.
Thanks again

MOP
04-17-2008, 08:11 AM
Good thinking wait to wind it up in the water, the Alpha pumps don't like high RPM on the hose.

barstool
05-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Got her on the water this weekend. Grounded the advance wire and timing was at 12 degrees before tdc.
Ungrounded and still was at 12, at 2500 timing was at 26, and at 4000 timing was at 30. If spec with timing connector should be 10, then all I have is 14 degrees of advance.
Timing module number is 861459-1.
I wonder what the total advance should be with this controller?
Any help would be appreciated.

mrfixxall
05-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Got her on the water this weekend. Grounded the advance wire and timing was at 12 degrees before tdc.
Ungrounded and still was at 12, at 2500 timing was at 26, and at 4000 timing was at 30. If spec with timing connector should be 10, then all I have is 14 degrees of advance.
Timing module number is 861459-1.
I wonder what the total advance should be with this controller?
Any help would be appreciated.

Take the base timing and add to the electronic advance and that should be your total. ground the timing plug before you start the engine,ck timing shut off engine then unground the timing plug the start engine and recheck the timing at idle and at what ever rpm your electronic advance kicks in for your total..

barstool
05-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Take the base timing and add to the electronic advance and that should be your total. ground the timing plug before you start the engine,ck timing shut off engine then unground the timing plug the start engine and recheck the timing at idle and at what ever rpm your electronic advance kicks in for your total..

Thats my exacte steps.
Max advance was 30 @ 4000 prm minus 12 advance = 18 degrees electronic advance.
This is my question in the automotive world, 36 degrees total advance is normal.