PDA

View Full Version : 1966 18' 2+3 triple hatch barrelback for sale- CA

Hull #18-83
04-16-2008, 12:03 AM
The time has come for me to sell Hull #18-83, my 18' 2+3 built on 7-19-66. This is the 83rd hull built and is an ultra-rare triple hatch barrelback design. Very cool and classic. Colors are white with red deck stripe, red hull sides and white water line stripe. In the dozen years I've owned her, this boat has undergone a complete mechanical refit and upgrade. It offers reliable, serious performance and is NOT for the beginning boater. It is best suited for a Donzi enthusiast that desires a very early, collectible model coupled with strong performance. Some highlights of this boat include:
-An early 1970s SBC LT-1 crate motor stroked to 383 CI by Rex Hutchison Racing Engines in Sacramento. Engine has 32 hrs. With a compression ratio of 9.38 to 1, the dyno showed 393 HP @ 5,500 RPM and 439 lbft @ 3,600 RPM. Top quality parts. Stainless Marine exhaust with custom fabricated SS risers (from Brownie) to match up with original exhaust tip locations.
-A Volvo 270 T upper (hydraulic trim/tilt) coupled to a rare Volvo E-Drive lower (1.45 to 1 ratio, straight-cut gears, 1" shorter than std lower, 15 spline prop shaft, cast-in nose cone, thinner (3.5") housing, external water p/u). Prop is a brand new Mazco Round Earred 3 blade 14.25" X 24" LH.
-Full hydraulic steering with a Teleflex Seastar helm, kevlar lines and inside cylinder ram to the Volvo tiller bar. This system eliminated all torque steer and makes for safe, easy control of the boat.
-New Aluminum fuel tank with 30+ gallon capacity.
-New Built-Rite upholstery (white w/ red piping) and Red carpet with Donzi logo in 2003. Full Sunbrella mooring cover.
-The original plywood stringers and transom coring are in great shape.
-Boat sits on a V&M single axle, painted white steel trailer that was completely refurbished three years ago. Custom welded double bunks.
-All new wiring harness and new VDO gauges (like original).
The boat is a blast to drive. While it offers strong performance it is also very reliable. It consistently runs low to mid 70s at WOT, with an average of 74 mph @ 5,250. Note this is in FRESH WATER (Northern California rivers and Lake Tahoe). This running gear has NEVER been in salt water and it shows it!
OK, now for the things needed to make this one a show winner:
-The boat was repainted long before I bought it in 1997. The hull and sides are great but the deck is in need of new paint. The thick original gel is showing signs of crazing in spots on the deck.
-The boat was fit with cavitation plates (similar to an old flat-bottom inboard, ie: Sanger) when I got it. I removed them during the restoration but have not replaced them yet. The transom holes were temporarily sealed with 3M 5200. Doesn't look good, but keeps the boat afloat!
-The prior owner wanted to inspect the old steel gas tank but didn't want to remove the deck, so he simply used a sawsall to create a joint behind the ski locker. It would be a fairly easy task to reglass the parts together, but I haven't. Everything rides fine as it is and the carpeting covers the cut.
-Only occassionally, the hydraulics on the 270T drive are slow to tilt the drive up when preparing to load onto the trailer. The drive hydraulics have been rebuilt.
-I have had the E-drive on the boat for only a few years (still have a Volvo 280 lower) and am still playing with props. I have Mercury Chopper, Machs and the Mazco - all three blades. Due to the shorter E-drive, the boat now cavitates when coming out of the hole - worse with a heavy load on board. But when it hooks up, it HOOKS UP AND GOES!!! I am thinking a 4 blade (Mazco or Mach) might solve this problem and increase the cruise speed, which is already excellent. Just haven't tried it yet. Remember that the E-drive requires an over-hub prop (like an outboard) and has 15 splines (like Merc) rather than the std 17 spline Volvo design. This boat has a port helm, hence it requires a left-hand prop.
-You will note that I added a few parts that were not original. The first is a specially made, Taylor low-profile windshield. I like the look and really needed it to keep that cold Tahoe water off me. Second was a set of air horns. I like a LOUD horn and these do the job but they were not original. Third, I wanted a foot throttle so I could keep both hands on the wheel. This is my third boat with a foot throttle and I really like them! These could be removed with little hastle. Of course you all know that the boat came with a Ford and a Volvo 200 drive. The old Ford was junk when I got it and quickly made the decision to replace it with a Chevy. Going from the 200 to an E-drive was a no brainer.
In the nearly 12 years of owning this boat, I have replaced ALL mechanical parts. It is a great, collectible boat from the very early Donzi years. Brownie estimates that fewer than 100 triple hatch boats were built. All hardware is intact and in good shape. I am 49 yrs old and own three boats (Donzi, 33 Scarab w/ twin 525 SC and a Cobalt CS7). With a wife and 7 yr old son I am not able to enjoy this as much as I once did. This turn-key package is available now for $16,500. You can reach me at jstone@johnobronson.com or cell phone 916/213-1313. Please let me know what you think and have a great summer on the water! Thanks for reading and photos will be posted very soon. Jeff Stone

zelatore
04-16-2008, 10:13 AM
As a local Donzi owner, I will volunteer my valuable weekend time to photograph and test-drive this boat for any prospective buyers out there. :wink:

Seriously, I live only about 30 miles down-river, and I'm usually home on the weekends so if anybody needs an eyeball on this thing, drop me a line.

#18-83, if you don't have a camera, let me know. I could run up and shoot it for you and upload the pics.

Hull #18-83
04-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Don, thanks for your reply - MOST generous of you! I do have a camera and will shoot some better quality pics this weekend. For the moment, here are a couple of pics for everyone to view.

Please let me know if any questions or interest. Thanks, Jeff

chappy
04-16-2008, 12:58 PM
That is one great looking boat.:yes:

Hull #18-83
04-16-2008, 01:08 PM
Thanks Chappy for the nice compliment. She is a great performing boat and a true classic. Here is another shot. Sorry for the poor quality pics. I will get some new ones taken and uploaded this weekend. Thanks

Hull #18-83
04-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Here are a few more pics.

Hull #18-83
04-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Here is a pic of the HIN (18-83), build date (7-19-66) and names of Donzi employees (Bill and PAL) that laid her up, written in black ink under the dash. VERY cool history. I also have the original paper HIN tag that was attached to hull side inside the engine compartment on port side.

Donzi Racer
04-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Thanks Chappy for the nice compliment. She is a great performing boat and a true classic. Here is another shot. Sorry for the poor quality pics. I will get some new ones taken and uploaded this weekend. Thanks

I just sold my '66 barrel back Monday and it was & is a jewel, thought it the best in the country. It is a single hatch. Yours is so fine. Absolutely spectacular, and I personally like the mods. We are restoring a 66 triple now and it is so nice to see one in this kind of shape. We hope you the best of luck. I will forward your ad to anyone that showed interest in ours. I know when we show up at AOTH with it there will be somebody ready to put down some dough on yours if it is not already gone. Thanks again for showing us something so FINE! Looking forward to the updated pics. Will help any way we can. Tom

Donzi Vol
04-16-2008, 09:04 PM
Hull #18-83, beautiful boat. Like Donzi Racer said, we're working on a 66 triple ourselves. Let's hope it comes out as show worthy as yours! Good luck with the sell. I'm sure somebody on the board is itching to call. Take care

vonkamp
04-16-2008, 09:40 PM
I just sold my '66 barrel back Monday and it was & is a jewel, thought it the best in the country. It is a single hatch. Yours is so fine. Absolutely spectacular, and I personally like the mods. We are restoring a 66 triple now and it is so nice to see one in this kind of shape. We hope you the best of luck. I will forward your ad to anyone that showed interest in ours. I know when we show up at AOTH with it there will be somebody ready to put down some dough on yours if it is not already gone. Thanks again for showing us something so FINE! Looking forward to the updated pics. Will help any way we can. Tom

You sold the boat you brought by my house (the Quiet Please)?? :confused:

Sorry for the hijack Jeff. That is a beautiful triple hatch you have there for sure!!

Donzi Racer
04-16-2008, 10:24 PM
You sold the boat you brought by my house (the Quiet Please)?? :confused:

Sorry for the hijack Jeff. That is a beautiful triple hatch you have there for sure!!

Where were you at the wooden classic boat show and the following week classic boat races? Looked for ya'll. We did sell the barrel back. PM or email me and we won't continue to steal this mans post. Tom mishunaire@aol.com

Hull #18-83
04-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Tom, thank you for the nice compliment! This boat is really a time capsule. It was purchased new in Orange County, California 42 years ago and was always well maintained. It provided a great base for the restoration. I spent a ton of money on this one - well north of $30,000.
The modifications to the boat were done for performance, safety and comfort reasons. A few notes on them:
Going from Ford to Chevy power was a no brainer. Performance parts for a Chevy engine are readily available, whereas few exist for Fords. Also, Donzi offered their boats with a number of different engine and drive options throughout the years.
The E-drive was again an easy decision. I first replaced the original Eaton drive with a Volvo 270T. It performed well and came out of the hole like a rocket ship! But that bulky lower unit was really limiting the top end. When the E drive came along I could not resist. It bolted up to the 270T upper and offered much better hydrodynamics coupled with a 1" shallower prop depth. These were made by Volvo in the early 1970s for their factory racing efforts and are very rare. What a great piece to put on a very rare Donzi! Plus, with the Mercury prop shaft splines it really openned up the propellor selection.
The boat was difficult to handle before the hydraulic steering was added. At higher speeds it was diffucult to manuver and frankly unsafe. The full hydraulic steering setup was a great modification and allows the boat to be controlled effortlessly.
The foot pedal was added BEFORE the hydraulic steering. I needed to keep both hands on the wheel. With the proper steering system now installed, two hands are not needed to steer the boat but it is still nice. I like the foot pedal - have owned two other boats with them and have really come to appreciate them! The gunnel mounted shifter is just that- for shifting only. No throttle control with the hand shifter.
The windshield was added to keep any spray off. It does a good job of that, but note that the wind still hits you in the face! I like this custom made windshield with a very low height. It reminds me of the old porshce speedster!
Finally, the boat had no horn when I got her. Aside from being a USCG requirement, I wanted a good, loud horn. The solution was to install a pair of air horns on the deck. These are the variety available at many auto parts stores. The compressor is mounted under the dash. The horns are mounted on the deck in fron of the windshield. They are not the prettiest horns ever but work well.
That's all for now. Let me know if anyone is interested. It is a great boat that could not be replaced for TWICE my asking price. Thanks, Jeff