PDA

View Full Version : Drive Shower ?

Trueser
04-13-2008, 08:32 AM
Anybody try these yet?
http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=itscoolflow

I think I may need to add some drive showers.

MOP
04-13-2008, 10:10 AM
Mario take look at the pics in the post below, it is one of the best ideas I have seen to feed a shower ever. We all know that the drives build pressure as speed increases, it should feed a maximum of water at least as good and maybe better then the cav plate pickups.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52371

fegettes
04-13-2008, 10:21 AM
I think I may need to add some drive showers.

??? Just keep your RPM's down around 3,000-3,500, and you won't need them.

Z-Man
04-13-2008, 11:26 AM
As soons as I got my boat, I placed my order for showers.

Conquistador_del_mar
04-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Mario take look at the pics in the post below, it is one of the best ideas I have seen to feed a shower ever. We all know that the drives build pressure as speed increases, it should feed a maximum of water at least as good and maybe better then the cav plate pickups.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52371

If the engine is using an external water pickup my setup should work fine. However if the engine uses drive pickup, the water pump would likely be drawing air through the drive shower until a decent speed is reached. In my case, I wanted to let the lower foot receive the cooling effect of water passing through it after talking to Ron at the Nevada IMCO facility and Dave at the California facility. Bill

MOP
04-13-2008, 11:55 AM
If the engine is using an external water pickup my setup should work fine. However if the engine uses drive pickup, the water pump would likely be drawing air through the drive shower until a decent speed is reached. In my case, I wanted to let the lower foot receive the cooling effect of water passing through it after talking to Ron at the Nevada IMCO facility and Dave at the California facility. Bill

Point well made, it is a real neat idea but like you say you need an independent intake.

Phil

yeller
04-13-2008, 03:08 PM
Trueser, I put one on last summer. I bought the single pickup because IMO the dual is simply overkill. I like the look of shower caps over a simrek type and as far as caps go, I think this is best looking one.

I have no doubt the simrek type cool better because it showers the entire drive, but I'm not convinced the extra cooling is required.

MOP
04-13-2008, 05:06 PM
I feel we all have to much raw water cicuit pressure, tapping it to feed the shower is better then the cav plate pickups which can get plugged up. Several of the guys tap off after the raw water pump, that pretty much eliminates any debris issues. All we need is 15psi in the system, many are well above that which is a head gasket killer.

Trueser
04-13-2008, 05:33 PM
The reason I'm thinking about this one is the water pick up. Check out this link.

http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=driveshower-itscool

All the others seem to hang down to low.

??? Just keep your RPM's down around 3,000-3,500, and you won't need them. ..... yea rite...

MOP
04-13-2008, 08:05 PM
That is a sweet setup their scoop should give you good water flow.

synack
04-13-2008, 08:49 PM
I've been on the fence between the Rex Marine and the HydroCool II for about the past year. I like the tunability of the HydroCool.

Here's the info on the HydroCool: http://www.innovativemarine.net/1050.html

Trueser
04-13-2008, 09:02 PM
I think that tube hangs down too low.

I like the low profile pick up on the rex...

farmer tx
04-13-2008, 09:41 PM
MOP, Where and how do you "tap" into the raw water after the seawater pump?

MOP
04-14-2008, 08:58 AM
Any place between the pump and the oil cooler.

blackhawk
04-14-2008, 10:54 AM
I started running the hydrocool with a water pump feed when I had the Blackhawk 6 years ago because the anti-ventilation plate was so high when running. Now I will never run anything else. With this method you ALWAYS know your shower is getting plenty of water no matter what speed, trim angle, etc you are running.

glashole
04-14-2008, 11:07 AM
I have the exact same set up

works good

MOP
04-14-2008, 11:47 AM
blackhawk mentioned trim angle, I read some place that you can lose a lot of the flow when trimmed up for max perf. That is when you need it most, so maybe the longer tubes or tapping of the sytem is the best route.

VetteLT193
04-14-2008, 01:56 PM
has anyone done testing with/without shower that has a drive temp gauge?

There is a guy on OSO that has, and he claims no difference in temp at all.

I'm really curious if anyone has positive results, because it seems like it would help but if the facts prove otherwise I'll blow that money on something else:)

Trueser
04-14-2008, 02:09 PM
I'm really curious if anyone has positive results, because it seems like it would help but if the facts prove otherwise I'll blow that money on something else:)

If thats true then why do they turn white if you don't have a shower? Do you have the link for OSO?

blackhawk
04-14-2008, 02:56 PM

Yep, probably Canada Jeff. He had a thread on Speedwake and saw zero difference in temps after a Simrek shower was installed.

But, for $150 I'll run one for insurance.

VetteLT193
04-14-2008, 03:21 PM
If thats true then why do they turn white if you don't have a shower? Do you have the link for OSO?

I think blackhawk is correct, I don't have access to speedwake at work but canada jeff has a single post thread on OSO that points to speedwake. I never saw that thread, but I've read at least 2 other threads he (assuming it's the same guy) have posted in and no one comes back with any actual data to refute his claims.

One theory on the white stuff on the drive is that the drive shower simply cools the outside of the drive down / keeps it wet. So, it's not actually doing any cooling of the internals, just the outside of the case.

The bottom line is I honestly don't know but would like real facts... After reading the posts on OSO I was quick to notice that the drive shower manufacturers don't ever post any real numbers. If I sold a product that consistently reduced temps by XX degrees I think I'd advertise that, or at least have it in a FAQ somewhere.

blackhawk
04-14-2008, 03:59 PM
I think blackhawk is correct, I don't have access to speedwake at work but canada jeff has a single post thread on OSO that points to speedwake. I never saw that thread, but I've read at least 2 other threads he (assuming it's the same guy) have posted in and no one comes back with any actual data to refute his claims.

I pointed out to Jeff that the number one reason he didn't see a drop in temp was his shower may not be working properly. In other words, his pickups may not have been supplying enough water to the shower. He never did confirm it was working.

After reading the posts on OSO I was quick to notice that the drive shower manufacturers don't ever post any real numbers. If I sold a product that consistently reduced temps by XX degrees I think I'd advertise that, or at least have it in a FAQ somewhere.

This is from Simrek's FAQ page:

6. What kind of temperature reduction will I get with a Simrek Multiport Drive Shower®?

Documentation for all test results are located under the Testimonials section of this site

The most recent testing was done by Jim Wilkes for Hot Boat Magazine, and published in the April 2000 issue. Dockside magazine also tested the Summit Design and found a 50 degree drop in drive operating temperature and published their findings in the August 1999 issue. They also did a side by side comparison between the Summit Design and the Halo Design and found the Halo to cool the drive by an additional 8 to 10 degrees. Testing was also performed by the United States Customs Service. They found a 50 degree Fahrenheit drop in temperature.

Gene Weeks of Team Lazar did a side by side comparison between an Imco Power Shower and a Summit Multiport Drive Shower®, and found the Multiport system to cool the drive by an additional 15-20 degrees over the Power Shower.

VetteLT193
04-16-2008, 02:07 PM
I pointed out to Jeff that the number one reason he didn't see a drop in temp was his shower may not be working properly. In other words, his pickups may not have been supplying enough water to the shower. He never did confirm it was working.
This is from Simrek's FAQ page:
6. What kind of temperature reduction will I get with a Simrek Multiport Drive Shower®?
Documentation for all test results are located under the Testimonials section of this site
The most recent testing was done by Jim Wilkes for Hot Boat Magazine, and published in the April 2000 issue. Dockside magazine also tested the Summit Design and found a 50 degree drop in drive operating temperature and published their findings in the August 1999 issue. They also did a side by side comparison between the Summit Design and the Halo Design and found the Halo to cool the drive by an additional 8 to 10 degrees. Testing was also performed by the United States Customs Service. They found a 50 degree Fahrenheit drop in temperature.
Gene Weeks of Team Lazar did a side by side comparison between an Imco Power Shower and a Summit Multiport Drive Shower®, and found the Multiport system to cool the drive by an additional 15-20 degrees over the Power Shower.

Thanks! That is good info:)