PDA

View Full Version : Yacht "Highlander"

onesubdrvr
04-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Well,

I was at Atlantis in the Bahamas on work from Wednesday through today, and while taking a stroll for dinner and drinks at the Marina, I saw several NICE yachts, one had a Bell Jet Ranger Helicopter on the upper aft deck, but my favorite was a yacht named "Highlander" out of New York (if memory serves me correctly, because I had a couple of 151's and Coke in me). Regardless, on the upper aft deck, there was 2 nice "tenders" 1 was a Cig, looked to be a 20', the other was a Donzi. The length looked the same, but judging by the bow flair, it looked to be a Hornet (I may be wrong), but was pretty heavily modified with a Bravo III or Blackhawk out drive, and a wind-screen (fiberglass not glass). Both were white with a green waterline stripes, and both were simply georgous. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera, but can anyone shed some light on this yacht / these tenders?

Thanks
Wayne

BUIZILLA
04-11-2008, 08:41 PM
that should be the late Malcom Forbes' yacht...

Craig S
04-12-2008, 09:50 PM
23'?

He claimed he painted it the color of money...where is that old magazine article I read that in?

On board are a Bell Jet Ranger III helicopter, two tenders a 19-foot Cigarette and a 23-foot Donzi - and two BMW motorcycles.

http://www.forbeshighlander.com/images/introduction/highlander.jpg

http://www.forbeshighlander.com/

MOP
04-13-2008, 12:58 PM
It visited Sag Harbor years ago when Mr. Forbes was still alive it is a sight to see, Sag Harbor being close to the Hamptons draws quite a few mega yachts.

Donzi Racer
04-13-2008, 11:46 PM
Well,

I was at Atlantis in the Bahamas on work from Wednesday through today, and while taking a stroll for dinner and drinks at the Marina, I saw several NICE yachts, one had a Bell Jet Ranger Helicopter on the upper aft deck, but my favorite was a yacht named "Highlander" out of New York (if memory serves me correctly, because I had a couple of 151's and Coke in me). Regardless, on the upper aft deck, there was 2 nice "tenders" 1 was a Cig, looked to be a 20', the other was a Donzi. The length looked the same, but judging by the bow flair, it looked to be a Hornet (I may be wrong), but was pretty heavily modified with a Bravo III or Blackhawk out drive, and a wind-screen (fiberglass not glass). Both were white with a green waterline stripes, and both were simply georgous. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera, but can anyone shed some light on this yacht / these tenders?

Thanks
Wayne

Wayne, I was surfing tonight and saw your post. Rose and I were at a silent auction a few years back in Parsipany N.J., they had a lot for a dinner cruise on the Highlander around Manhatton. Kip Forbes is on the executive board of directors for the Gustav Stickley Museum there in Parsipany and that was his gift for the evening. That is the type antiques we sell and I said laughingly that I would get that for Rose for our anniversary. She said yea Right! big spender. Well as the night wore on and Rose had a few glasses of wine, she kept coming up to me and saying, are you going to get that boat ride for me Daddy? Long story as I do always tell, short, I got her the Highlander trip. Wonderful was an understatement. The cig and the Donzi were up top with the bell helicopter. Also a BMW motorcycle. When they started the bow thruster to push us out, the bel helicopter took off and that was a hoot. This is one of the Highlanders. I do believe that was always Malcomn Forbes yachts name. I do remember a great story of him and 1 of the sons almost losing their lives on 1 of the Highlanders years and years ago. The yacht had all birdseye and fancy Maple interior to have a fit over. We got to see the state rooms also. Super neat. When we got off the boat Kip had a town car for all the guest and took us to our hotels. We were also invited to a ****tail party at their country place and I will never forget the Tennis courts had all the grandkids pedal cars and toys. Hell of a play pen, I was thinking. The most amazing thing about the home was no air conditioners and all those Billionaires sweating their selves silly and Rose and I waling around with not 2 nickles to rub together. Not bad for a couple of Country Folk from Alabama. They all thought we were the Beverly Hillbillies. The other neat thing about the house, other than Malcomns bedroom with a shower in the middle of the room was the Napoleon Room. Had the uniform he wore with the funny hat. He was tiny. Not just short but just like a very tiny man. The hat seemed like 8 inches from 1 end to the other. I just could not get over that was the uniform of the famous ruler. Thanks for bringing back great memories. I could not get the pilot of the yacht to let the Donzi down for me to run the water around Manhatton. I also remember that it was so strange seeing the open hole where the towers used to be there in New York where they were working. There were all these flood lights and it was very eery the way there was just nothing there where there used to be great buildings there.

Tom :cool:

Donzi Racer
04-14-2008, 12:14 AM
that should be the late Malcom Forbes' yacht...

Oh Jim ole buddy ole pal, how far are you, away from key largo? hmmm? How about Poodle? I need someone to go take a look at something there and then go out and have a nice thick steak on me. Thanks, Tom 256-777-0844

handfulz28
04-14-2008, 09:31 AM
Oh Jim ole buddy ole pal, how far are you, away from key largo? hmmm? How about Poodle? I need someone to go take a look at something there and then go out and have a nice thick steak on me. Thanks, Tom 256-777-0844

I bet I know what it is...:wink: Did the guy have a good time on his cruise?

onesubdrvr
04-14-2008, 03:00 PM
Tom / All

Thanks for the information, kind of neat really. Everything still looked well maintained (of course it should be!!). It certainly was quite a site. There is always a bunch of nice boats when I go down there (about every 6 weeks or so), but me,...... I would settle for just 1 of those tenders :wink:

Thanks for sharing y'all
Wayne

mrfixxall
04-15-2008, 09:53 PM
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://bp2.blogger.com/_paHIJ-03gnU/RtoILDKqXAI/AAAAAAAAAhA/Or-WcR64O2w/s320/IMG_1162.jpg&imgrefurl=http://nycvias.blogspot.com/2007/09/day-of-exploring.html&h=240&w=320&sz=23&hl=en&start=10&tbnid=zmg2OL2zYQMl4M:&tbnh=89&tbnw=118&prev=/images%3Fq%3DYacht%2B%2522Highlander%2522%2B%26gbv %3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

Scroll down to the highlander.

Donzi Racer
04-15-2008, 10:14 PM
I bet I know what it is...:wink: Did the guy have a good time on his cruise?

The cruise on the Highlander was a once in a lifetime thing. I got the biggest kick out of watching Rose's face as we went by the Statute of Liberty and how much she enjoyed her anniversary present. Had to be the best anniversary present I have given her. Our 31st is next month. I keep telling her after one like that, I can't beat it so why try? ha hhahahahahah Can you believe I get our pics taken next to the silly chopper instead of the Cigarette or the Donzi? I am embarrassed that I do not remember which Donzi it was. I thought a Gt 21 but could have been a Hornet. Tom

Donzi Racer
04-15-2008, 10:21 PM

Jim or Poodle, Catch 22 was nice enough to take a look at the item in the keys for me. I did not know how far the keys was from Miami. Thanks for the calls. Tom