PDA

View Full Version : Outdrive fluid

Conquistador_del_mar
04-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Just curious if many of you use another gear oil in your Bravo drives other than the Mercruiser high perf fluid. I realize that if your engine package is still under warranty, you must use Mercruiser fluid. About 10 years ago, I started using Synergyn II fully synthetic with no problems. Do some of you use other types with great results? Bill

Sam
04-11-2008, 02:40 PM
I stick with the Merc stuff because it's not a full synthetic :eek!:. That said if you do get water in your lower unit it will emulisify and give you "some" protection. Beyond that my Merc Master Mechanic recomends it. I like to change the lube every 25 hours or so and of course use a good drive shower, as we all know.................heat kills. I'm sure there will be lots of opinions on the subject. At the end of the day there is no one right answer just preferences.

MOP
04-11-2008, 03:02 PM
The Merc Syn is a good product, I am going to use Spectro full syn next change. Redline is also very popular, but as Sam said a shower is important no matter what oil you use.

Phil

glashole
04-11-2008, 03:13 PM
oil is oil

regardless of what it is in

change it regularily and you shouldn't have a problem
always use the viscosity reccomended

that being said I use the merc stuff - readily avaliable and those guys have probably built and used more drives than I have

Shea

gcarter
04-11-2008, 04:00 PM
The last change on the Minx's Alpha got Spectro syn.
Previously, I was using Amsoil syn from a 5 gallon pail I got for a rediculous price, $10.00, I think.

yeller
04-11-2008, 07:51 PM
I don't normally use manufacturer's specific oils because I feel they are usually overpriced..........but.....based on my cousin's usage of the Merc oil, I think I'll stick with it. He has about the same power as me, in a slightly heavier boat and has close to 1600hrs on the drive and it's never been apart. Changes his oil every 75hrs.

Oh...and yes, he's always had a drive shower.

3rdDonzi
04-11-2008, 08:07 PM
What is a drive shower?

Tony
04-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Check it out here, (http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=driveshower-itscool) or here. (http://www.driveshowers.com/)

:beer:

cutwater
04-18-2008, 10:00 PM
Is the Merc Synthetic okay to use in the OMC Cobra drive? I can't think of any reason why not unless OMC specifies a certain type of oil. I put one of the house brands from either Boater's World or West Marine in before winter to make sure there was no water in the drive oil, but I'm looking to go to a better oil for use this season.