PDA

View Full Version : jus tinkering

gero1
04-10-2008, 07:00 PM
found some VERY lose exhaust bolts, one i took out by hand! i have had some trouble with the shifter in the last 2-3 yrs, took it apart and found that the screw that holds it togather was gone, main bolt that holds the shifter was loose AGAIN and the plastic bushing that goes around it was broke into many pcs.....when was the last time you took your shifter apart and checked it?

glashole
04-11-2008, 06:37 AM
last time I took mine apart was floating in the marina in 1000 isles trying to dock :doh:

guts got f'ded up somehow and the throttle stopped working, had to rip it all apart to get at the throttle line so i could literarily use plyers to pull on the cable to give me any forward and reverse movements :nilly:

I was lucky enough to have a friend with me who could switch the boat from forward to reverse from the top of the motor

It had turned out the spline inside the handle completely sheared right off :boggled:- had I checked it earlier I would have seen the stress cracks and might have prevented the whole ordeal

good times :bonk:

once we got it back on step it was managable
and we had to drive it back to Canada like that :boat:

I did get to learn how to change a throttle and all of the cables because of it though

BigGrizzly
04-11-2008, 09:15 AM
Let me guess they were Merc shifters. Had a similar experience while prop testing at over 90 mph it stuck. well the ignition key worked. The boat owner swore from that day on there never would be a Merc in anything he owned. Third time for him.