PDA

View Full Version : Smallblock Ford in 18' Donzi classic Question?

BlownCrewCab
04-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Can someone Please give me a measurment... From the Transom to the front motor mount along the top of the stringer? Please, Please... I'm Glassing Donzi Vol's stringers and want to add some Xtra layers in that area and maybe 2 gussets. Thanks In Advance....

JimG
04-10-2008, 08:41 PM
BCC, I'll shoot you the measurements tomorrow morning.

JimG

BlownCrewCab
04-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Thanks, That would be Great:smash:

penbroke
04-10-2008, 08:54 PM
My 289 is supported by 2 pins on the side of the stringers about in the middle of the block. There is no front mount. The engine could tip forward or back on the pins and is prevented from doing this by the drive housing.

I think the HMs were supported in the front by a big plate in place of the water circulation pump.

I'd be happy to measure/photograph anything you need but it sounds like you are doing something different?? I'm working at home tomorrow and the boat is in the garage. Let me know. I owe ya one at least...

Frank
'66 Triple Hatch / 289 Ford HiPo / Volvo 200

BlownCrewCab
04-11-2008, 06:21 AM
My 289 is supported by 2 pins on the side of the stringers about in the middle of the block. There is no front mount. The engine could tip forward or back on the pins and is prevented from doing this by the drive housing.

I think the HMs were supported in the front by a big plate in place of the water circulation pump.

I'd be happy to measure/photograph anything you need but it sounds like you are doing something different?? I'm working at home tomorrow and the boat is in the garage. Let me know. I owe ya one at least...

Frank
'66 Triple Hatch / 289 Ford HiPo / Volvo 200

Thats what I want, The two pins that sit on the pads attached to the stringers. It doesn't have a front plate mount. A measurement would be fine, but you can send pic's if you want, that way I can try to make it look like yours.. Thanks again..

penbroke
04-11-2008, 07:33 AM
Here's a couple photos that might help. Let me know if you need anything else.

Frank

BlownCrewCab
04-11-2008, 07:48 AM
Perfect Frank, Thanks Allot.

penbroke
04-11-2008, 07:59 AM
No problem. Anytime.

Your idea of beefing up that area is a good one. I wish I had done mine when it was apart.

As I recall, there is not a lot of extra space between the stringers. You may want to double check if you add much to the inside. I was thinking about adding a couple 1/4" aluminum plates to the inside of mine to spread out the load a bit and there was not enough room.

Frank

JimG
04-11-2008, 08:50 AM
Frank, thanks for replying with pics... I would have been misleading, because my '70 is completely differerent.. I have a crossmember mount at the front of the engine (34" from the transom. I wonder if mine was changed at some point? But I can't see any evidence of holes where yours are...

penbroke
04-11-2008, 10:09 AM
I think the H/Ms had the big plate on the front with the crossover tube instead of the circ. pump and a crank driven raw water pump?

Mine has the circ. pump and a belt driven raw water pump. Mine is an early first year boat and they may have learned a thing or two as time went on...

Frank