PDA

View Full Version : Bravo One Outdrive Fluid Change?

cherry82482
04-09-2008, 09:02 AM
I have a 2001 Bravo One outdrive. I am looking to change the fluid for this up coming season. I'm not exactly sure on where to drain and fill the outdrive. I believe that I fill from the plastic reservoir that is located above left side manifold riser near top of engine and drain from the flat head screw located near the top of the outdrive casing? Please help!!

:popcorn:

Tidbart
04-09-2008, 09:19 AM
If I remember correctly, the drain is behind the prop.
The upper drain hole on the drive, will let air in to help drain. The reservoir is to maintain the level, not to fill it.
Filling is done from the bottom drain hole, forcing fluid upaward, with a pump. Don't fill from the top!.

There is a whole procedure mapped out for this fluid change, including using the correct fluid and not mixing with other fluids.

I recommend getting a service manual for the drive and engine if you are diy'er.

Sorry to be brief, no time. Others will chime in.

B

glashole
04-09-2008, 09:23 AM
you change the oil in the outdrive by removing the 2 screws/plugs in the outdrive itself (one on the bottom and one on the top )

they require a large flat screwdriver

the oil obviously drains from the bottom hole

this will eventualy drain the container on the motor

once empty ( 2 beers) you will have to refill the drive from the bottom hole

you can get a manual pump that will attach to the top of the larger oil containers and pump it upwards into the drive until it comes out of the top hole

put the top plug/screw back in

unscrew the manual pump and install the bottom screw quickly

refil the top reservoir on the motor :)

synack
04-09-2008, 10:52 AM
I have a 2001 Bravo One outdrive. I am looking to change the fluid for this up coming season. I'm not exactly sure on where to drain and fill the outdrive. I believe that I fill from the plastic reservoir that is located above left side manifold riser near top of engine and drain from the flat head screw located near the top of the outdrive casing? Please help!!

Top screw is on the right side of the upper housing. Bottom screw is just below the propshaft (you will have to remove the prop to see this one)

Drain:
Place drive in full down position
Remove bottom screw
Vent system by removing resevoir cap and top screw
Wait for system to drain (can take a while)

Fill:
Attach fluid pump to bottom screwhole
Pump lube until it starts weeping out of top screwhole
Put back top screw
Keep pumping until fluid starts to appear in resevior and you get about a 1/2 inch depth
Quickly remove pump fitting and replace bottom screw
Wait about 1-2 minutes for resevoir fluid to stabilize (it probably continued to rise after you stopped pumping)
Top off fluid in resevoir to the line and replace cap.

Ranman
04-09-2008, 11:21 AM
The above advice is good. Two other things to look out for.

1) There are small fiber gaskets on each of the brass plugs. Make sure you find the gaskets (sometimes they stick to the drive), inspect them and replace them when necessary. They keep water from seeping into your drive and are easy to mis and damage.

2) Check the reservoir after your first run or two. I dont seal up the top hole and keep pumping, but I do usually have to top off the bottl after the first run.

cherry82482
04-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Thank you all for your helpful responses.

MOP
04-09-2008, 12:24 PM
My local Merc dealer and buddy told me not to bother to pull the upper screw so I have never pulled it as the reservoir has acts the vent for both draining and filling. If there is a "Con" to this I would like to hear it! A On another note the plugs may appear to be brass in color in some cases but in fact are S/S, brass would cause calvanic action to the drive.

synack
04-09-2008, 01:46 PM
My local Merc dealer and buddy told me not to bother to pull the upper screw so I have never pulled it as the reservoir has acts the vent for both draining and filling. If there is a "Con" to this I would like to hear it! A On another note the plugs may appear to be brass in color in some cases but in fact are S/S, brass would cause calvanic action to the drive.

The fluid seems to drain a lot more slowly if you don't pull the top screw.