PDA

View Full Version : stellings dry exaust

tiger lily
04-05-2008, 09:41 PM
the question i have about these, is the fittings that go down on the bottom of the header tubes, and the 90s and 45 on the tail pipes, they do not go through, there is no hole there, they are just welded onto it, any one every worked witht these before?

BlownCrewCab
04-05-2008, 09:53 PM
It's a jacketed pipe, there should be a hole in the first one to let water in, the gap between the 2 is probably less than 1/8". pull the hoses off and look with a light and maybe a wire with a hook on the end to stick in there and see.

BlownCrewCab
04-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Blow in the hose and see if it comes out the other end. the hole isn't going to go into the exhaust tube, just the jacket around it.

tiger lily
04-05-2008, 10:27 PM
yup, just went down there and looked at them, had me confused at first, now it all makes sense, thats how they keep em cool, im guessing only some of the water goes in there, because i have a hole in my transom, right in the middle underneath the two tailpipes, that must be where the rest of the water comes out? thanks guys

MOP
04-06-2008, 09:16 AM
Very nice looking plumbing, you need tolerant neighbors. They are super loud, I know of one set that they capped the regular outlet then drilled the outlet tubes so the water exited within the pipes made a bunch of difference in the sound. They drilled through about 5" in from the tips then welded the outer tube drill holes closed, that was on a 540 the owner said he did not notice any loss of power.

tiger lily
04-06-2008, 03:27 PM
yeah my neighbors are pretty understanding, theres 3-4 other boats on the channel that run dry exaust also, thats not counting the passer by people, those other 3-4 live on the channel, and were only 5 minutes from the lake, so its not that big of deal around here, now that ive figured out that part of the headers, i need to figure out how to route all my hoses, im guesing i go from my raw water pump, to the oil cooler, then back into the the cross over, then from there it comes out a housing on my intake? then into the headers, or does it split between the headers with a dump that goes out the back? buying a boat with "some assembly required" is always fun, even more so with no instructions...

BlownCrewCab
04-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Your routing scheme is correct, coming out of the intake (T-stat Housing) you'll branch off with 2 hoses that will go to the lower part of your headers then jump over the seam then dump out the end of the pipes or a transom dump tube. if you end up with to much water pressure this is usually where it happens. first try just dumping the way they came (dump tube in the pipe or a piss hole drilled in the pipes) if needed you can drill a bigger hole at the end on the lower outer or lower inner pipe where they are exposed through the transom. if you still need more you can T-off at each pipe collector seam. hopefully they dump enough in their current config...cause I could try and explain this all night theres so many different ways to do it. can you tell where they dump now? can you see a small tube inside the big tubes?

BlownCrewCab
04-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Nevermind, I see the dump tubes now. Thats a good setup..

tiger lily
04-06-2008, 08:22 PM
i think ive got it down how to plum it all in, im just not sure if im going to use a bypass with a tstat or not, i will rarely idle the boat for much time so im not sure on that yet, whats your take on that? ive done so much searching on oso about these cross over setups

BlownCrewCab
04-06-2008, 08:55 PM
A crossover w/out a circ pump is a great setup. I would plumb it so all the water has to dump out the pipes and only do secondary dumps if it's needed. these days you can get a "regulated T" so only when your preset pressure is exceeded does it dump any extra, and your pipes and everything will stay a consistant temp..Those are Very nice pipes you have, they sound Sooooo Bad Azz Too. Good choice...

tiger lily
04-06-2008, 09:39 PM
thanks, i bought someone elses project that they started and never finished, now im trying to get it done by july, on somewhat of a budget, alot of pieces are there, some are missing, trying to learn it all, this is all new to me, i appreciate the help

mrfixxall
04-07-2008, 05:28 PM
thanks, i bought someone elses project that they started and never finished, now im trying to get it done by july, on somewhat of a budget, alot of pieces are there, some are missing, trying to learn it all, this is all new to me, i appreciate the help

Run no t-stats with restrictor plates!,,,,also make sure you have a cauck tube of high temp (orange) siliclone sealer handy to put between the header ahd the extension pipes or your going to fill the engine compartment with exhaust fumes.:wink:

tiger lily
04-07-2008, 07:56 PM
^^^ what are restrictor plates?

BlownCrewCab
04-07-2008, 08:28 PM
A Flat plate with a hole in the center, Looks just like a big flat washer. they come with different size holes to govern the flow.

mrfixxall
04-07-2008, 10:26 PM
^^^ what are restrictor plates?

you can modify a thermostat by cutting the center out and removing the spring and plunger...:yes:

dont use through hull fittings to dump the excess water just run all the water through the headers..

my 35 cig has stellings with restrictor plates & 598 bbc with no cooling issues...
Its going to be vary loud tho with no mufflers !!!!!!!

tiger lily
04-08-2008, 12:23 AM
my next step is to find the correct tstat housing, the ones that came with the project i dont think will work, even with a adapter, these parts are hard to find im learning

mrfixxall
04-08-2008, 10:01 AM
my next step is to find the correct tstat housing, the ones that came with the project i dont think will work, even with a adapter, these parts are hard to find im learning

Does the housing mount under the blower drive ?

If you want to run a thermostat then you may want to run this with the bypass set up..

http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=2897

tiger lily
04-08-2008, 08:31 PM
im leaning towards no tstat like you recommended , i dont need the entire kit, just the housing that goes onto the intake manifold, the one in this kit would work perfect! http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=2901

the holes i have are on a 45 just like that, but i dont need the 3rd tube if im not running a tstat right? i only need two, one for each header

mrfixxall
04-09-2008, 09:47 AM
im leaning towards no tstat like you recommended , i dont need the entire kit, just the housing that goes onto the intake manifold, the one in this kit would work perfect! http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=2901

the holes i have are on a 45 just like that, but i dont need the 3rd tube if im not running a tstat right? i only need two, one for each header

correct! heres one from eddie marine..

http://www.eddiemarine.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=11511&c=56