PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Buffet

Cuda
04-04-2008, 09:01 PM
I know he catches a lot of hell on all the boating sites, due to his politics, but in the mid seventies, he was my hero, and I wanted to live just like that.

Anyway, before he got rich, I think his songs had much more emotion in them, and were sung with more emotion.

I ran across this today, on utube. I think it shows it well. I like the part before the music, where he said the 11 foot Boston Whaler in the video, was the first boat he bought.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=e0---Q97pG4&feature=related

Carl C
04-04-2008, 09:26 PM
He's coming to Pine Knob, north of Detroit, in June and I'll be there. Last year they cracked down on the tailgating and pissed off a lot of people.

vonkamp
04-04-2008, 11:47 PM
Come Monday is one of his top 5 IMO...
Much as I despise his current politics, I must admit I have TONS of his music on the I-pod, and listen constantly. My favorite concerts have mostly been Buffett's shows, especially when he played Marine Stadium..

Word...

Trying to reason with the Hurricane season is one of my fav's, I make sure that disk is cued-up on June 1 with a Boat Drink in hand. :yes: :boat:

Gearhead99
04-05-2008, 04:40 AM
"Fins" is another good one too.

Carl C
04-05-2008, 05:43 AM
Buffet has more CDs out than most people think: at least 30. I started collecting them all but most only have one or two good songs. I'm a CD dealer and have about 20 different CDs in stock now. They don't sell like they used to.:band:

Carl C
04-05-2008, 06:45 AM
Do you mean 2-CD sets or 2 albums on 1 CD? I'll list what I have later today, can't access that info now. I don't do mail order or e-bay; I just sell at my store but if anyone would want a CD I'd mail it for $5 plus shipping. $7 + shipping for 2-CD sets. Not doing this for business, just for favor to members. Shipping these is a PITA to me but I wouldn't mind for a Donzi bro (or sis). Will list what I have tonight.

gcarter
04-05-2008, 07:37 AM
I remember reading a Jerry Jeff Walker interview many years ago that told about how he and Jimmy had been hired to sing at a bar in Miami. When they arrived, the job didn't really exist so both of them decided to head down the chain to Key West since neither one of them had ever been there. Apparently they found some work there and after a while one of them stayed and one of them went back to Texas.
But as far as current politics goes, neither Key West or San Francisco are exactly bastions of conservatism. I guess if you stay around those places long enough, some of it will stick to you.

Carl C
04-05-2008, 07:54 AM
JB's gay?:eek!::eek: When it comes to music either you like it or you don't. I won't say that I will not play Elton John because he is gay or Cat Stevens because he is Muslim or The Doors because Robbie Krieger is a jew or JB because he is pro manatee zone. JB is an avid pilot. Maybe there should be no fly zones to save the birds? Gonna be late again, gotta go to work now.

roadtrip se
04-05-2008, 08:29 AM
at least not that I am aware of...

Manatee Lover, Yes!

Cuda
04-05-2008, 08:38 AM
I remember reading a Jerry Jeff Walker interview many years ago that told about how he and Jimmy had been hired to sing at a bar in Miami. When they arrived, the job didn't really exist so both of them decided to head down the chain to Key West since neither one of them had ever been there. Apparently they found some work there and after a while one of them stayed and one of them went back to Texas.
But as far as current politics goes, Key West like San Francisco aren't exactly bastions of conservatism. I guess if you stay around those places long enough, some of it will stick to you.
Key West has never been conservative as long as I have been going there, which is over 30 years. Not a zany as it is now days, but would never be mistaken for an IBM board meeting.:)

Cuda
04-05-2008, 08:44 AM
I know every word, to every song, up through Coconut Telegraph, and have sung most of them at Karaoke, because, believe it or not, I can sing in his key. :) After that, is when I considered him getting too rich to sing from the heart. It was more party music.

Here's another one from the heart.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EMozCfz0cZM&feature=related

Cuda
04-05-2008, 08:54 AM
Here is a JJ Walker classic. :)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q5Y-PHiOdI

Cuda
04-05-2008, 09:02 AM
Here's Ray Wylie Hubbard (the writer of Redneck Mother), explaining to JJW, how the song got written. This is some funny stuff! :)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=E24C4NY0ga8&feature=related

Cuda
04-05-2008, 09:46 AM
JB's gay?:.
I've never heard that rumor, nor would I believe it. He's been with the same woman every since I've been listening to him, his wife, Jane. Here's a song he wrote about their daughter, who's name is Savanah Jane. You can feel his love for his daugher in this song.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tAil6w7h8sA

Cuda
04-05-2008, 09:50 AM
JB's gay?:eek!::eek: When it comes to music either you like it or you don't. I won't say that I will not play Elton John because he is gay or Cat Stevens because he is Muslim or The Doors because Robbie Krieger is a jew or JB because he is pro manatee zone. JB is an avid pilot. Maybe there should be no fly zones to save the birds? Gonna be late again, gotta go to work now.
I would not refuse to play music, due to someone's religious beliefs, or normally their politics, but I refuse to listen to the Dixie Chicks, after their anti American comments, and I really like their music. You have to draw the line somewhere, and that's where I drew it. I threw away their CD.

Team Jefe
04-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Like most folks living on the Gulf Coast, I am a Buffett fan. Politics be dam*ed... he is a great stroy teller. and not just dsongs...I have read all his books and love them. Those have even been a big influence on my fish stories (as have the adventures of Crunch and Des:wink:)

For me lots of songs ring true, but I guess my favorites are "School Boy Heart" and "A Pirate Looks at Forty"...Of course the later holds some special meaning this year for me, since I am doing just that.

Cuda
04-05-2008, 10:18 AM
For some reason, this song reminds me of a girl I fell in love with in 1977. I was tending bar in a Red Lobster, and our dining room manager had a girlfriend visiting her for a month from Minnesota. Her girlfriend, I'll never forget the name, Jamice Lukenan, would sit at my bar nearly every night, and we got to know each other. My DR, Ms Frankie, lived in the same apartment complex that I did, and after going out a few times, Janice ended up staying with me for the last two weeks she was here. She decided she was going to quit her job, sell her stuff, and move down here to live with me. She'd already sent most of her personal stuff to me, when about a week before she was supposed to come, she got a great job offer, and wanted me to move up there with her. Mind you, this was in February. I told her no way I was moving to the frozen tundra. We called back and forth for about a week, then one night I got drunk on rum, and decided I was heading up there. I didn't even wake my room mate when I left that night. He said he could see the trail of socks and underware, leading to where my Pinto had been parked. I woke up somewhere in Georgia the next morning, and couldn't find my wallet, so all I had was the money in my pockets. I kept going. I got to Lexington, Ky, when I ran out of money. I called her, and told her to wire me some cash. I was cold as hell, and about out of gas. I was rumaging through my luggage, looking for long john's to put on, when I found a Galliano bottle I used to save dimes in. I had about $9 in dimes, so I got out a map, and looked for the nearest relative. Aunt Eliza lives in Chillicothe, Ohio, so off I went. I got there, and got my aunt to cash a check for me, since I had no ID. I stayed a couple days, then left my car snowed in there, and jumped a Greyhound bus to Minneapolis. 22 hours of riding on the dog absolutely sucked! She picked me up at the bus terminal in Minnesota, and we went to her apartment. I stayed one night, and told her, that was not weather I could live with. I called my mom, and asked her to get a plane ticket home for me. She called back in a bit, and said she had me booked for a flight that evening. I flew home, then had to fly back up in the spring to Ohio, to retrieve my car. To this day, my buddies call rum "Minnesota Go Juice". :)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yPQDrR4xKEI&feature=related

Cuda
04-05-2008, 10:31 AM
This song reminds me of one time, four of us got drunk in St Pete, and at closing, decided we were going to Daytona, to see our buddy Randy. We woke up in the Volkswagon Van the next morning, to find we had about $20 between all four of us. We sent Ed in to steal some food for us. He came out wih ham, mayonaise, and one toothbrush:) We had to pay for the loaf of bread, Ed could get it down his pants. I remember we were sitting in the van, on Daytona Beach, trying to hustle chicks, which was pretty hard to do, when you're spreading mayonaise on your bread with a matchbook. :) We figured we didn't have enough money to get back home on, so we sent Frank to Randy's to borrow some money. Randy gave him $10, and ever the economist, Frank stopped and bought a $5 bottle of whiskey, and $5 worth of gas. Didn't seem like a bad idea to us, because gas was cheap, and the vw didn't burn much of it. It was a good idea, until the first time we stopped to piss, and Frank set the whiskey on the bumper of the van, which promptly fell off! :mad: Then we were jonesing, because we knew we had to make it back to the Showboat Lounge in Pinellas Park, where Frank had a tab, in order to get another drink. We were sweating the gas gauge, coming across the Howard Franklin Bridge, and we sure needed those drinks when we got to the Showboat. :)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DAvnVpZmxhQ&NR=1

Cuda
04-05-2008, 10:40 AM
I think the guy dancing near the end of this video, thinks he's at a Grateful Dead concert, also which I attended a few of myself. :)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=P7thbWZTMTE&feature=related

Barry Eller
04-05-2008, 01:47 PM
My favorite Buffett song is "God's Own Drunk". I play all of the "Songs You Know By Heart" on my guitars. I do sound better after a few "Boat Drinks".:drinkbeer:

Carl C
04-05-2008, 05:47 PM
I would not refuse to play music, due to someone's religious beliefs, or normally their politics, but I refuse to listen to the Dixie Chicks, after their anti American comments, and I really like their music. You have to draw the line somewhere, and that's where I drew it. I threw away their CD. 100% right on that! No big loss, their music sucks anyway.

Jimmy Buffet CDs that I have in stock:

Havana Daydreamin'
A-1-A
Live In Auburn Wa (2 CDs)
Live In Mansfield Ma (2 CDs)
Live in Las Vegas Nv (2 CDs)
Live In Cincinnati Oh (2 CDs)
Barometer Soup
Living and Dying In 3/4 Time
High Cumberland Jubilee
Songs You Know By Heart (Greatest Hits)
Banana Wind
Off To See The Lizard
A White Sport Coat And A Pink Crustacean
Hot Water
Volcano
Last Mango In Paris
Son Of A Son Of A Sailor
Floridays

All are used and in near new condition. $6 each incl. shipping, $8 for doubles. Stock always changes. I usually sell these for $6.50/$8.00 at the store. Send PM if you need one.:rock:

Cuda
04-05-2008, 08:01 PM
My favorite Buffett song is "God's Own Drunk". I play all of the "Songs You Know By Heart" on my guitars. I do sound better after a few "Boat Drinks".:drinkbeer:
Debbie's daughters used to love to come over, when I was drinking at the house. They would demand that I sing them the "Bear Song". :)

......well, like I splained to you before, I ain't no drinkin' man....:)

Carl C
04-05-2008, 08:53 PM
Thats the ones :) Nope. My favorite is "A pirate looks at forty".

Cuda
04-05-2008, 09:26 PM
Like most folks living on the Gulf Coast, I am a Buffett fan. Politics be dam*ed... he is a great stroy teller. and not just dsongs...I have read all his books and love them. Those have even been a big influence on my fish stories (as have the adventures of Crunch and Des:wink:)
For me lots of songs ring true, but I guess my favorites are "School Boy Heart" and "A Pirate Looks at Forty"...Of course the later holds some special meaning this year for me, since I am doing just that.
It held a special significance for me too..........but that was twelve years ago. :(

zelatore
04-05-2008, 09:31 PM
I refuse to listen to the Dixie Chicks, after their anti American comments

OK, I don't listen to country music. At least not modern pop-country. (I've been to a Willy concert, and I've got some Hank Williams Sr. and Johnny Cash in the collection, but nothing current)

So what anti-American things did the Dixie Chicks do or say?

I know they had some big fued with the 'put a boot up there a$$' guy, but I figured that was more to do with him being a redneck than anything else.

So - enlighten me.

Cuda
04-05-2008, 09:33 PM
It would be extremely hard for me to pick out my favorite Buffett song, but I'd probably have to go with Havana Daydreaming.

vonkamp
04-05-2008, 10:11 PM
IMOHO the two essential JB albums would be Beaches, Boats, Bar's & Ballads and Banana Wind. :yes: :cool:

vonkamp
04-05-2008, 10:37 PM
Do you mean 2-CD sets or 2 albums on 1 CD? I'll list what I have later today, can't access that info now. I don't do mail order or e-bay; I just sell at my store but if anyone would want a CD I'd mail it for $5 plus shipping. $7 + shipping for 2-CD sets. Not doing this for business, just for favor to members. Shipping these is a PITA to me but I wouldn't mind for a Donzi bro (or sis). Will list what I have tonight.

Carl,
I've been looking for the Bob Marley box set that came out in the early 90s. Would you by any chance have a copy to sell? :hyper:

Donzi Vol
04-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Cuda, you're the man. Bottom line. I, too have hopped in the car on a whim with a crazy roomate a time or two. I've also let some influences:wink: convince me that I should just go ahead and go see the girl...even at my own demise. Thanks for the song samples. I've been a Buffet fan for years, but haven't heard some of these. I also plan to attend my first Buffet concert this summer!

Cuda
04-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Cuda, you're the man. Bottom line. I, too have hopped in the car on a whim with a crazy roomate a time or two. I've also let some influences:wink: convince me that I should just go ahead and go see the girl...even at my own demise. Thanks for the song samples. I've been a Buffet fan for years, but haven't heard some of these. I also plan to attend my first Buffet concert this summer!
Don't do like I did at one of them. We stopped for pitchers of beer, and other party favors before going to the concert. I was told I was there.:eek!:

Cuda
04-06-2008, 04:52 PM
OK, I don't listen to country music. At least not modern pop-country. (I've been to a Willy concert, and I've got some Hank Williams Sr. and Johnny Cash in the collection, but nothing current)
So what anti-American things did the Dixie Chicks do or say?
I know they had some big fued with the 'put a boot up there a$$' guy, but I figured that was more to do with him being a redneck than anything else.
So - enlighten me.
It was a couple years ago, they were doing a concert in England, I believe, and that fat assed singer of theirs got on stage, and said shame on our president, for getting in a war. It was not only disrespecful to our country, and our president, but it was also disrespectul to our brave men, who put their lives on the line, to give her the right to spout that crap.:mad:

Carl C
04-06-2008, 05:29 PM
IMOHO the two essential JB albums would be Beaches, Boats, Bar's & Ballads and Banana Wind. :yes: :cool: That's five CDs.:wink:

Carl,
I've been looking for the Bob Marley box set that came out in the early 90s. Would you by any chance have a copy to sell? :hyper: No.

It was a couple years ago, they were doing a concert in England, I believe, and that fat assed singer of theirs got on stage, and said shame on our president, for getting in a war. It was not only disrespecful to our country, and our president, but it was also disrespectul to our brave men, who put their lives on the line, to give her the right to spout that crap.:mad: Yes it was something like that. You don't have to agree with our president but should show some respect and especially don't dis the country that has made you rich and gave you such a good life. The USA rocks:salute:.