PDA

View Full Version : Lake Dora pics from Classic Yacht.....

gcarter
04-02-2008, 01:40 PM
Just got this from Classic Yacht.
http://www.classicyachtmag.com/Sunnyland2008

Of those that attended, what did you think of the new venue???????

zelatore
04-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Looks like a good event. Less formal than Tahoe.

handfulz28
04-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Beautiful classics there.

So what crashed into the lake? Any pics?

Craig S
04-03-2008, 11:15 AM
alot of fun, and very activity oriented. ie...encouraged to use the boat. I gotta take a boat next year.

Craig S
04-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Heard something about a plane going down..

Homebuilt sea plane. Supposedly landed with the gears down. Tore up the leading edge of the wing, the canopy/****pit area above the hull, and a sponson. Heard all were ok. Thank goodness. Saturday afternoon/evening, I believe. Must have been after 5.

mjw930
04-03-2008, 01:53 PM
http://woodyboats.blogspot.com/2008/04/its-that-time-for-woody-boater-awards.html

But nothing in the local news about a seaplane accident.....

sweet 16 1966
04-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Plenty of room for vendors. Enough docking area for the in the water classics. All visitors by water had to beach it and spaces were sparce. Soft landing though in the tall grass.
Still believe we need some dock space. A couple from California was admiring my Classic Sat. morning. Said they missed the waterferry which takes 45 min from Lakeside. Were looking into purchasing a Donzi so I offered them the 5 min. trip. They were impressed with the ride of a Donzi. Anyway he said his club in Calif. had just recently began to allow Donzi's in. Sunnyland said they prefer boats in the 1970's and older along with your membership into one of the member clubs. BTW... When I first arrived at Lakeside, I complimented a guy with what looked like an antique wood outboard boat - 17 feet long. When asked what year, he replied, "its new". This answer repeated itself several times with other boats. OK, so why not our Classics?

The Mount Dora folks seemed devistated with the location change. Lakeside Inn lowered their rate to folks who grabbed a room at the last minuite in an attempt to fill the Inn up. Rate not extended to those who planned ahead- that is just wrong! Still say there is a fine line between old and antique.
Sorry to have missed you George.

gcarter
04-03-2008, 06:21 PM
I think, but don't know for sure, that the new wooden boats are allowed in but not judged unless they are unique in some way.
Of course any wood boat that is completely restored is virtually a new boat having had almost every part in it replaced...kind of like my grandfathers axe!
I'm glad to know there was plenty of space for the event.
The city of Tavares has let a permit for a hotel on the waterfront nearby. That will add a lot to the ambience.
The original show was a single event, w/no art show plugging up the streets. I remember parking across the street in the playground across from the ramp. I think maybe Mt. Dora screwed themselves. I think it's called greed.

gcarter
04-03-2008, 06:28 PM
Here's a trivia question.....
What was new and unique about the Chris Craft Cobras???????
I know it has a tail fin, but what about the tail fin??????

:confused::confused:

sweet 16 1966
04-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Light on top?

jl1962
04-03-2008, 07:22 PM

Glass reinforced plastic....:wink:

gcarter
04-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Glass reinforced plastic....:wink:
That's right, but there's still something else about it..........
c'mon, you're so close!

vonkamp
04-03-2008, 08:18 PM
I think maybe Mt. Dora screwed themselves. I think it's called greed.

Mt. Dora appears to be on the fast track to being a ghost town. Talked to several store owners and they say about six businesses a week are clearing out.

We took that goofy water taxi to Dora from the show. They had just gotten the thing the day before and it's got some kind of crazy steering system the Captain did not have experience with so docking & undocking was a little tense. The top speed was 6mph and he ran it aground on a sand bar. At one point, a kayak passed us. Oh well, that's what I get for not getting my boat done.

We will definately go next year (with boat in tow) and stay in Mt. Dora.

zelatore
04-03-2008, 08:22 PM
A couple from California was admiring my Classic Sat. morning .... Anyway he said his club in Calif. had just recently began to allow Donzi's in.

Any idea where they were in CA or what club they were members of?

I know there's a 'classic glass' club that I've seen cruising the delta once or twice, and there's at least one wooden boat club (don't know the name) up here as well.

sweet 16 1966
04-03-2008, 09:31 PM
No, we did not discuss which chapter he was from but had to be one of the 2 listed in Calif. ACBS is what they are all tied to.

http://www.acbs.org/chapters.html

Barry Eller
04-03-2008, 09:50 PM

Chris Crafts FIRST use of fiberglass.

gcarter
04-03-2008, 10:56 PM
Chris Crafts FIRST use of fiberglass.
Bingo!
They weren't very adventursome, were they?

Barry Eller
04-04-2008, 07:17 AM
Bingo!

Yes and no...the styling of the Cobra was adventuresome, and fiberglass was just coming into its own at the time. Chris Craft was probably just like any big name manufacturer, somewhat slow to change with the times. I also love the Chris Craft Silver Arrow!

Click on the link below...

http://www.carolina-classic-boats.com/boat_detail.asp?boat_id=99

gcarter
04-04-2008, 09:16 AM
That's a striking boat.
I haven't seen one of those in years.

Craig S
04-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Bingo!
They bought an outboard fiberglass boat company immediately afterwards..(Land and Sea?), and things went very badly!

Donzi Racer
04-06-2008, 09:01 PM
Mt. Dora appears to be on the fast track to being a ghost town. Talked to several store owners and they say about six businesses a week are clearing out.

We took that goofy water taxi to Dora from the show. They had just gotten the thing the day before and it's got some kind of crazy steering system the Captain did not have experience with so docking & undocking was a little tense. The top speed was 6mph and he ran it aground on a sand bar. At one point, a kayak passed us. Oh well, that's what I get for not getting my boat done.

We will definately go next year (with boat in tow) and stay in Mt. Dora.

I never remember seeing ya'll but we had 3 boats in the water at the Lakeside Inn and I would have loved it if you had come by and gotten one. I had the barrel back I brought by your house, there and it was nearly finished. It will be finished this week. Will post some pictures as soon as it is done. Yee Hi. I had a blast for the last 2 weeks. I had the 22 we just got and a cute 16 baby outboard there also. Give us a shout when you get a chance. mishunaire@aol.com Tom