PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding a Bimini

rtgogo
04-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Has anyone added a tower to their Donzi? I'm not so much interested in the ski application as much as I don't want to kill the looks of my 22zx with a nasty bimini top. I need a roof of some kind for the boss and wondered if a big fat stainless tower with a built in shade or maybe a fiberglass piece with a retractable roof may be a better alternative. Not somethin i wanna do...but i gotta do..... Tower came to me earlier today and i just wondered if it had been done...I really just don't want one of those awful bimini tops, but i gotta come up with somethin and the tower would be no where near as bad as the alternative..IMHO....Comments??? How do you think a Tower with built in shade would look? Anyone know of a manufacturer i could research, etc??

Thanks!

SilverBack
04-01-2008, 10:14 PM
Maybe
HedgeHog will chime in!!! He is great with Donzi MODS!!!

Cuda
04-02-2008, 07:26 AM
You're right. Biminis are nasty. Can you get by with an Anchorshade, just when you're stopped?

CJmike
04-02-2008, 07:37 AM
Why would that anchor shade be less horrible than a bimini that is only put up when anchored?

Carl C
04-02-2008, 07:47 AM
I think a wake tower might look worse than a bimini. Would anyone fault you for having a bimini in the south where the afternoon sun is dangerous? It seems that someone here rigged up one of those big umbrellas that could be taken down easily.

mjw930
04-02-2008, 07:54 AM
Tower = Permanent
Bimini = Temporary

I vote for the temporary solution unless "The Boss" as you put it, requires a top up when running?

An aluminum arch with a retractable cover might look OK but it would take a lot of fabrication and $$$$. Good luck with that.

mjw930
04-02-2008, 08:01 AM
I think a wake tower might look worse than a bimini. Would anyone fault you for having a bimini in the south where the afternoon sun is dangerous? It seems that someone here rigged up one of those big umbrellas that could be taken down easily.

The anti-Bimini crowd is amusing, obviously people who day boat up north and have no concept of 95 degree heat @ 95% humidity for 6 months of the year. :wink:

I had a Bimini on my 26 Velocity along with a snap in windshield and side curtains. I caught a lot of crap from friends until the first time we were running 50 miles from home and the afternoon rains came. I put up the top, windshield and curtains and cruised along quite comfortable @ 40 mph (top speed with the top and curtains up) all the way home while they had to back off because the rain was like rocks hitting them at 40 mph. We were dry and eating lunch while they were cold, wet and miserable. I never caught any flack for my "camper top" again. Oh, and it was completely removable when not in use. The Bimini stored in the engine compartment and the curtains stored in the front locker.

It was also interesting how they always congregated on my boat in the middle of the afternoon when we would be anchored or rafted up to "get out of the sun" for a while.

I did almost lose it one day when I had it up in the "arch" position. Even though it was closed and covered with a boot the wind @ 80 mph started to pull the eyelets out of the ends of the SS tubes. From then on I always layed it down on the back pad or stowed it when running.

Cuda
04-02-2008, 08:21 AM
I've always abhored the look of a bimini on a performance boat, but that may be why I have wrinkled alligator skin. I do have a bimini on my fish boat. I would think a tower would look even worse.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Do whatever pleases you, and more importantly the boss. It's YOUR boat, so, nobody's else's opinion really matters.

Good luck, whatever you choose.

roadtrip se
04-02-2008, 08:21 AM
to destroy the sleek lines of a performance boat with something that would look great on a Bayliner.

And before we start on the Dixie-Yankee thing, been there done that, after sixteen years spent in Texas. We used 30SPF and put up the anchorshade when on the hook.

It is an opinion, and a galvanizing one, but I guess I would chuckle at anyone who tries to make thier Donzi into a Sea Ray.
Just make momma happy and get it over with. Cobalt makes a real nice bowrider last time I looked.

Next!

Morgan's Cloud
04-02-2008, 09:54 AM
I've had an Anchorshade (probably one of the very first people to do so) and I ended up avoiding using it. Even out here where you can get roasted even on a heavily overcast day in the summer. The pole in the middle and the angle of the straps just seems to take up so much room and makes them difficult to manoevre around.

Donzis seem to be pretty enough that people can look past gawdawful permanent graphics etc, so why worry about a bimini that you can lower whenever you want that may help prevent skin cancer ?

gcarter
04-02-2008, 10:03 AM
I love biminis. Didn't have one on the Minx but only due to timing, sold it before I got one.

The Hedgehog
04-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Maybe
HedgeHog will chime in!!! He is great with Donzi MODS!!!

Go for the tower:hangum: Then you could add a center mount ski pylon

Then talk to 502stang about extending the swim platform:wink: You could then step off the back and barefoot at 70 without worrying about the motor!

Another idea would be to incorporate a tuna tower with a bimini and radar arch. That would be hot. :shocking:

Barry Eller
04-02-2008, 10:29 AM
I'm Pro-Bimini...but it has to be well constructed and installed correctly.

Here is a link to a previous discussion on tops.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46208

The Hedgehog
04-02-2008, 10:34 AM
Sorry Robert, you were wide open for that one. We had a great discussion a month ago or so about mods for a 22. Things got a little out of hand.

I would highly recommend the anchor shade. You can throw it up when hanging around "The Rock" and quickly take it down to stow under the bow when running. Dose on the SPF 30 and enjoy your fast boat.

Leave the tower for those that drive Malibu's and Mastercrafts.

zimm17
04-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Anchorshade! I only use it when staying put for most of the day. Looks dorky but only for the little bit of boating time when I use it.

Cuda
04-02-2008, 04:07 PM
I had an anchor shade (actually a Lost Bwana Shade), that I carried around in the Donzi, and my Formula, and never used it once. When I'm in the boat, I want to be running. If I'd tied up, I want a shady, or air conditioned bar to sit in.

rtgogo
04-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Figured I wuz askin for it with this post...but guess my big idea wasn't such a grand one the more i think about it....I understand the functionality of the anchorshade, but damn...it looks like mary poppins umbrella, guess i can't say much more for the bimini. Feelin stuck..to put it nicely. One question: how fast can the boat go with a bimini up? I'm usually all the way on or off the juice, but maybe this will help me lean one way or the other now that my fat tower idea flopped.

yeller
04-02-2008, 06:27 PM
It is an opinion, and a galvanizing one, but I guess I would chuckle at anyone who tries to make thier Donzi into a Sea Ray.....Next!
I never understand the "it's a Donzi, so you can't modify it" attitude. It's a fiberglass boat that'll never appreciate in value, not a 1 of only 20 made wood antique boat, so why can't people just enjoy them as they see fit without being ridiculed.

Go for the tower:hangum: Then you could add a center mount ski pylon... Installed a center pylon when I built my 16. Made for a great ski boat....even footed behind it. :yes:

mjw930
04-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Figured I wuz askin for it with this post...but guess my big idea wasn't such a grand one the more i think about it....I understand the functionality of the anchorshade, but damn...it looks like mary poppins umbrella, guess i can't say much more for the bimini. Feelin stuck..to put it nicely. One question: how fast can the boat go with a bimini up? I'm usually all the way on or off the juice, but maybe this will help me lean one way or the other now that my fat tower idea flopped.

40 mph is usually as fast as you want to go with it up.

I never run with the Bimini up unless it's raining.

roadtrip se
04-02-2008, 06:37 PM
My 22 is modded a whole bunch including:

Motor

Exhaust

Tips

Teague Battery Boxes

Stainless Horn

Windshield

Gauges and Bezels

Gauge panel

Steering wheel

Full Steering

Pop-up Cleats

XR Drive

XR shortie

Props for every mood and condition...

And an Anchor Shade.

Next!

mjw930
04-02-2008, 06:50 PM
My 22 is modded a whole bunch including:
Motor
Exhaust
Tips
Drive
Gauges
Gauge panel
Steering wheel
Full Steering
Pop-up Cleats
XR Drive
XR shortie
Props for every mood and condition...
And an Anchor Shade.

Next!

A 22C and 22ZX are 2 completely different boats. On a 22ZX I don't think a Bimini looks all that out of place and I don't even think I would call it a "mod". In fact, I think Donzi offered a Bimini as a factory option.... I know it's an option on the current ZX's.

Cuda
04-02-2008, 07:03 PM
A 22C and 22ZX are 2 completely different boats. On a 22ZX I don't think a Bimini looks all that out of place and I don't even think I would call it a "mod". In fact, I think Donzi offered a Bimini as a factory option.... I know it's an option on the current ZX's.
I'm pretty sure it was offered as an option, and I agree, a bimini on a 22Zx doesn't look quite as bad as on a 22C.

I've knew a guy who had a bimini on about an 80 mph Formula 382, but it was made completely from one inch stainless steel tubes, and it said it never showed any signs of bowing, or letting go.

The Hedgehog
04-03-2008, 09:49 AM
I also used a 16 as a ski boat for many years. It worked well. I had a ski eye the back of mine. Heck, I will probably put an eye on the X-18.

You had a center mount pylon? Those run up through the ****pit. I would think that that would be pretty tricky to mount in a small boat without having to worry about passengers falling on it:eek!:

I am the last person to say someone should not modify a boat. Overall, I subscribe to what Cuda says about the whole "it is your own boat so you should do what you want with it" idea.

On the other hand, I think a tuna tower or wake board rack is best on a fishing boat or ski boat.

If Robert wants to stick a bimini on the 22ZX, by all means he should. You can take them on and off and they don't hurt anyone. I think that Dana makes some good looking mounts that are much better than those cheesey typical Bimini mounts. That being said, if he does, I will make it a point to head down to Lake Martin to make fun of him:convertib: :doh:Ha!

Don't worry, he can make plenty of fun of my Mary Poppins umbrella:eek:

Oh yeah, don't tell anyone but my father has a Bimini top for his 16! I hid it at the back of his boat house room in hopes that he does not find it and put it on again.:smash: After this thread, I might sneak it up into the attic when I go down to Bama next week. He never goes up there.:smash:

Barry Eller
04-03-2008, 09:56 AM
I'm pretty sure it was offered as an option, and I agree, a bimini on a 22Zx doesn't look quite as bad as on a 22C.
I've knew a guy who had a bimini on about an 80 mph Formula 382, but it was made completely from one inch stainless steel tubes, and it said it never showed any signs of bowing, or letting go.

I've run well over 70 mph with my bimini up. Yes, it is stainless steel, ends are welded, mounts are through bolted. Its all about doing things right. Don't expect a "mail order" bimini top to be capable of doing what mine will. I paid close to $1000.00 for mine.

handfulz28
04-03-2008, 11:57 AM
A bimini doesn't look bad at all when you're chillin' underneath it. :tongue: It also looks pretty darn good when you don't have to hear your wife/GF b!tch about how it's too hot for the kids. Summer rain storm come out of nowhere? Whew...nice to sit it out under the bimini.

My Formula 311 has a bimini top. Plain and simple it isn't there for looks. But it's done as right as can be with two extra cross mount straps up front to keep it from shimmying side to side. It also tucks down perfectly in front of the windshield and the boot has two straps used to fasten it to the deck.

BUIZILLA
04-03-2008, 12:33 PM
once you've had acid cream on your face for a couple months to eat off the topical cancer, you'll never bitch about a bimini again... :shocking:

Cuda
04-03-2008, 12:46 PM
I've never had a bimini protect me from a Florida summer frog strangler. It's usually raining sideways. As far as chillin', I already pointed out, if I'm chillin', I'm tied up to a bar. :)

Tony
04-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Here's my bimini.

rtgogo
04-03-2008, 07:56 PM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:..... ..................

The Hedgehog
04-03-2008, 08:37 PM
I will be in the bar with Cuda. He seems to have the plan:drinkbeer:

Nice thing about CH lake is friends that have big boats tied up in the coves. Relax by a waterfall or go somewhere to get food and drinks during the hot times.

Barry Eller
04-03-2008, 09:08 PM
once you've had acid cream on your face for a couple months to eat off the topical cancer, you'll never bitch about a bimini again... :shocking:

AMEN brother!!! I hope I don't loose my ears at the next Dr. visit!!! How will I keep my glasses on???:angryfire::umbrella:

Morgan's Cloud
04-04-2008, 06:56 AM
If you think that stuff's bad on your face you should try it on ........ Oh never mind ! !:doh::embarasse:redface: