PDA

View Full Version : Solenoid again!

Cuda
03-30-2008, 05:05 PM
I had what I believe to be a burned out solenoid, on my 1982, Trs powered 454. I tried putting a car solenoid on it, and got one click, before that was over. Now, I've gotten what I believe it correct replacement part, but I'm not sure how it's supposed to be wired. To be honest, I don't think it makes any difference. I think the two smaller wires, energize a switch, connecting to two larger wires internally, but I'm not sure. Can someone tell me if this is correct?

Here's a picture of the three solenoids, The one on the right is the original I took off. The one in the middle is the auto solenoid I tried, and the one on the left is what I think is the right replacement part from Merc.

Cuda
03-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Cuda, I sent you the wrong solenoid.. I need to see a better pic of the original, there were two styles:
One had the bolt holes 90 degrees apart like the automotive one, the other has the bolt holes on either end of it like the new style I sent ya..
Correct one will go out tomorrow if it's on my shelf, Tuesday at the latest.
Scott, as I recall, I put them back to back, and the bolt holes did align. A friend of mine just bought two new one's for his Trs's, and they were just like the one you sent.

Cuda
03-30-2008, 07:44 PM
Here's the original.

Cuda
03-31-2008, 07:54 AM
I'll send ya the right one.. Warehouse has plenty. If it's not in my stock I'll UPS it to ya Tuesday...
Sorry for the mistake.. solenoid's on the house :)
Are you sure it's not the right one?

MOP
03-31-2008, 12:34 PM
Joe many of the marine solenoids use one of the small posts to attach to ground, if you have an OHM meter clip onto the mount plate then touch the small posts one at a time. If you get no reading then one post goes to ground, the one marked I is the one for the hot wire, the other goes to ground. The small solenoid on the left pictured above is a trim solenoid, it will not carry starting current very long.

Phil

Cuda
03-31-2008, 02:32 PM
Joe many of the marine solenoids use one of the small posts to attach to ground, if you have an OHM meter clip onto the mount plate then touch the small posts one at a time. If you get no reading then one post goes to ground, the one marked I is the one for the hot wire, the other goes to ground. The small solenoid on the left pictured above is a trim solenoid, it will not carry starting current very long.
Phil
Those smaller solenoids are exactly like the ones my friend got, who' restoring a 38 Bert Comp. He said the three are all the same, they just changed the design three times. Here's the small ones on his boat. They look just like the one Scott sent me.

MOP
03-31-2008, 03:29 PM
Those smaller solenoids are exactly like the ones my friend got, who' restoring a 38 Bert Comp. He said the three are all the same, they just changed the design three times. Here's the small ones on his boat. They look just like the one Scott sent me.

Joe you are right, my bad am thinking Ford starter where the solenoid does more work then on a GM setup.

Phil

mrfixxall
03-31-2008, 04:58 PM
I had what I believe to be a burned out solenoid, on my 1982, Trs powered 454. I tried putting a car solenoid on it, and got one click, before that was over. Now, I've gotten what I believe it correct replacement part, but I'm not sure how it's supposed to be wired. To be honest, I don't think it makes any difference. I think the two smaller wires, energize a switch, connecting to two larger wires internally, but I'm not sure. Can someone tell me if this is correct?
Here's a picture of the three solenoids, The one on the right is the original I took off. The one in the middle is the auto solenoid I tried, and the one on the left is what I think is the right replacement part from Merc.

Snug the nuts down on the studs before you install the new one and make sure your connections are clean and tight..
Your starter may be pulling too mant amps causing them to fail prematurely:wink:

justleft
03-31-2008, 08:04 PM
You may have a shorted out starter. (if the solenoid is switching the starter)

An auto solenoid should be able to carry enough current to activate the solenoid on the starter without frying.

But then I could be wrong

DonziJon
04-01-2008, 06:18 PM
This is funny. I had a solenoid problem a couple of years ago. NO Problem. I bought a new one and put it in. I spent TWO days in the broiling sun trying to get the freakin new one to work.....I even errected an umbrella over the ****pit to protect me from the rays while I was tormented by this problem. It wasn't working.

FRUSTRATED, With no where to go.. I put the OLD one back in. Bada Bing: IT STARTED right up..and has been in the boat ever since. Works fine. Go Figure.

I bench tested the NEW one (now back in it's box...I own it) and it would always click...but ONLY trip the big switch when it felt like it.

PS: WOW, we really got a good spell checker on this board. There Will be NO obsene language . ****pit.

MOP
04-01-2008, 07:42 PM
One must improvise! Kockpit!

Cuda
04-01-2008, 09:17 PM
New solenoid will be on your doorstep tomorrow Joe...
Thanks, Scott. Too bad I have to drive to Jax tomorrow.:garfield:

Cuda
04-02-2008, 07:24 AM
Gee, and to think you could have been sporting D.net decals too...
Good point. I'll be back this afternoon/evening. Just going up to check out a job.

Cuda
04-02-2008, 04:16 PM
Scott, I got the new solenoid today, and it looks exactly like the one I took off. Do you want me to ship the other one back?

Cuda
04-03-2008, 09:45 AM
If ya don't mind, that would be cool.. Or, send it with Red :) :)
I don't know about that. It seems like when stuff comes though Red, it tends to get hijacked in transit. :)