PDA

View Full Version : Shipping outboard?

fasttrucker
03-29-2008, 05:55 PM
What is the best way to ship a 15hp outboard from il to md?Lowest cost?

BlownCrewCab
03-29-2008, 07:30 PM
About 10 yrs ago I shipped a 25hp tiller arm johnson w/UPS, wrapped it in cardboard, taped it up. Our UPS Dude (Who thought he was Fabio) Insisted on carrying it buy the smaller, Lower unit end, while the powerhead end was all the weight. it got to Miami unscathed.

hardcrab
03-29-2008, 07:30 PM
I would say screw a plywood box together to put the motor in and then strap it to a small pallet.
Ship it truck freight. pick it up at the local terminal yourself.
Probably the cheapest way to do it.

MOP
03-30-2008, 03:53 PM
I have found FedX ground to be about 30% then UPS.

fasttrucker
04-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Looks like" new england motor freight" is the best way.We have to put it in a cardboard box and attach it to a pallet.Terminal to terminal shipping.

Team Jefe
04-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Hey Fast, sorry I missed this thread. I have so little to offer this site generally, then when we get to a topic that I am familiar with...I miss it.

I have shipped and transported several Clip on's. Nothing as small as a 15HP, but I still recommend fab'ing up a sort of Simulated transom onto the pallet to bolt the motor to. Then band down the lower unit to keep it from "flexing" and tearing up the fab'ed part. Then you can put the box around the whole thing. This is how the motor manufacturers ship them to the dealers. solid, secure, and has the weight resting on the part of teh motor it is suppoed to...not the cowling

fasttrucker
04-06-2008, 01:07 PM
Hey Fast, sorry I missed this thread. I have so little to offer this site generally, then when we get to a topic that I am familiar with...I miss it.
I have shipped and transported several Clip on's. Nothing as small as a 15HP, but I still recommend fab'ing up a sort of Simulated transom onto the pallet to bolt the motor to. Then band down the lower unit to keep it from "flexing" and tearing up the fab'ed part. Then you can put the box around the whole thing. This is how the motor manufacturers ship them to the dealers. solid, secure, and has the weight resting on the part of teh motor it is suppoed to...not the cowling
Thanks I will relay the advice.