PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Onboard Toolbox Contents

Tidbart
03-28-2008, 11:19 AM
With the Classics in mind (limited space), and excluding all the safety gear, .....
what tools would you or do you carry on the boat for emergencies???

I thought this might be interesting to see what every would carry to make up a tool box.

Instead of everyone listing all their tools, just list one or two each.:wink:

We can do spare parts later on another thread.

Bob

Jraysray
03-28-2008, 11:27 AM
With the Classics in mind (limited space), and excluding all the safety gear, .....
what tools would you or do you carry on the boat for emergencies???

I thought this might be interesting to see what every would carry to make up a tool box.

Instead of everyone listing all their tools, just list one or two each.:wink:

We can do spare parts later on another thread.

Bob

Small combination socket wrench set and multi use leatherman (combo pocket knife) check the Avatar.

Tidbart
03-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Phillips and flathead screwdrivers.

mjw930
03-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Plug wrench
Vise grips

glashole
03-28-2008, 12:06 PM
cell phone and tow rope

BlownCrewCab
03-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Beer, who knows how long it can be before someone decides to come get you.....And a Hat....And some Ice..

roadtrip se
03-28-2008, 12:39 PM
but in my waterproof dive/tool box, I have a roll of duct tape,
hose clamps, and some plastic tie strap thingies, together with the usual assortment of tools.

Sorry Bob, I know I have a problem with following proper instructions... but these items have helped me out in more jams than any tool ever has over the years.

Favorite tool? The hammer, of course.

Gero asked to borrow my box on the water one day. I took off and picked up two mile per hour or maybe he just lost two mile per hour. Not sure, but he hasn't asked for it since.

BUIZILLA
03-28-2008, 02:24 PM
coozy cup :cool:

anything else is secondary :propeller:

gcarter
03-28-2008, 05:41 PM
In the Minx I carried a small duffel w/enough tools to probably rebuild anything in the boat, including a spare impellor, spare Holley electric fuel pump and fuel pump pressure safety switch. I kept it in the under rear seat battery box, on top of the battery cover.
I never used anything except the occasional screw driver, but I was a lot happier w/it there.
Sorry, but I don't get the "NO TOOLS" bragging point.
I'm still here in Vegas, but I haven't gambled a single penny either.

Tidbart
03-28-2008, 06:46 PM
OK, I give up. I should have known better than to ask this bunch.:smash::wink::doh:

Things that fit the question: Leatherman, flathead and phillips, hammer, plug wrench, vise grips, comb socket wrench set

Things that don't fit the question, hose clamps, zip ties, coozy, cell phone, tow 'line', beer, hat, ice, impeller, fuel pump, pressure switch, waterproof tool box, the usual assortment of tools:garfield::hangum:

Things that kinda fit, duct tape.

Let's just say, if you guys are in the boats, then there is a tool on board. LOL

Bob

Tidbart
03-28-2008, 06:47 PM
I'm still here in Vegas, but I haven't gambled a single penny either.

George, hope you are having a good time. We'll miss you tomorrow.

B

gcarter
03-28-2008, 06:51 PM
George, hope you are having a good time. We'll miss you tomorrow.

B
I read the thread and I was thinking about all of you.
Have fun!
Don't worry about the canal, just raise the drive a b it.
It's higher than it was last year.

Carl C
03-28-2008, 09:11 PM
Leatherman.. Ditto. I do carry safety stuff though like gps, vhf, cell, compass, and unlimited free freshwater towing from TowBoatU.S.:yippie: Roadtrip, yes duct tape for sure! Is that a tool?

hardcrab
03-28-2008, 10:34 PM
Bottle opener

(Sam Adams aren't twist offs )

Carl C
03-29-2008, 07:11 AM
I'm still here in Vegas, but I haven't gambled a single penny either. Then what are you spending your money on:eek!:? Never mind, what happens in Vegas stays there.

gcarter
03-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Then what are you spending your money on:eek!:? Never mind, what happens in Vegas stays there.
Oh, I don't mind. We spent a week in the San Francisco area...that place is expensive!!!!!!!!!
Then this week I've sat in classes all week to get about 16 hours of continuing education credits to maintain my Water Quality Association certification, then there was the convention show itself.....all very time consuming.
Also, what ever happened to the cheap food in Vegas?????? It's almost as expensive as California.
Today is our 22nd wedding anniversary.....still formulating plans. :eek!:

CHACHI
03-29-2008, 12:05 PM
Oh, I don't mind. We spent a week in the San Francisco area...that place is expensive!!!!!!!!!
Then this week I've sat in classes all week to get about 16 hours of continuing education credits to maintain my Water Quality Association certification, then there was the convention show itself.....all very time consuming.
Also, what ever happened to the cheap food in Vegas?????? It's almost as expensive as California.
Today is our 22nd wedding anniversary.....still formulating plans. :eek!:
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!
There must be a Chicos in town somewhere.

Ken

gcarter
03-29-2008, 05:15 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!

Ken
Thanks!
You can bet that Elaine already found out it was almost next door to the Mandalay Bay where the convention was.
Anything to keep them happy.

Carl C
03-29-2008, 08:09 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!

Ken Look for a Subway or Carl's Jr. Happy Anniversary.

Kirbyvv
03-31-2008, 08:02 AM
you can do alot of repairs with duct tape and a leatherman. Don't leave home without them.

mjw930
03-31-2008, 12:58 PM
After cutting a hose Saturday a roll of Duct tape is now permanently in the boat :doh:

zelatore
03-31-2008, 02:03 PM
And to think, Carl actually asked if Duct Tape was a tool...

It may be the ultimate tool! (along with the road-side rock)

BTW, what ever happened to swiss army knives? I haven't seen one in years. But I've got two leatherman (leathermen?).

Now for the really technical people out there, it's not just 'a' leatherman, but which leatherman? I personally carry a Wave daily at the office, and bought all my crew one each for christmass a few years ago.

smokediver
03-31-2008, 06:43 PM
:yes:gerber multi tool .. like a leatherman , some wrenches , and a medical kit ... beer ... cell phone ... and a girl i always regret bringing ... that pretty much does it for me !!

smokediver
03-31-2008, 07:00 PM
gerber happens to make a really nice rope wrench mr.poodle

smokediver
03-31-2008, 08:07 PM
rope wrench ......... knife ....

handfulz28
03-31-2008, 08:32 PM
I'm going over the two tool limit so here goes:
1/2" and 9/16" sockets and wrench
5/16" nutdriver (Craftsman yellow handle) for hose clamps...ALL clamps must have same size head
phillips screwdriver
2 pc set of SAE Gearwrenches with 8 sizes total
Of course the Leatherman, not sure which one

Spares and materials:
Duct tape
electrical tape
hose mender
impeller
belts
liquid gasket

I actually carry more tools and more parts than that, but I think these are critical and can fix 99% of issues that well...are fixable on the water. I carry the tools in a small/standard size waterproof box, other stuff goes in one of two larger waterproof boxes.

yeller
04-01-2008, 12:17 AM
Things that don't fit the question...zip ties...I think zip ties are the ultimate tool....next to duct tape.

osur866
04-01-2008, 05:44 AM
Cell phone and a paddle, If I'm broke down and can't get anyone to answer then I'll paddle to the nearest dock and bother them. :doh: Steve

Tidbart
04-01-2008, 06:38 AM
I'm going over the two tool limit so here goes:
1/2" and 9/16" sockets and wrench
5/16" nutdriver (Craftsman yellow handle) for hose clamps...ALL clamps must have same size head
phillips screwdriver
2 pc set of SAE Gearwrenches with 8 sizes total
Of course the Leatherman, not sure which one

Spares and materials:
Duct tape
electrical tape
hose mender
impeller
belts
liquid gasket

I actually carry more tools and more parts than that, but I think these are critical and can fix 99% of issues that well...are fixable on the water. I carry the tools in a small/standard size waterproof box, other stuff goes in one of two larger waterproof boxes.

Amazing. You get an A+ for following directions.:wink:

B

Brian Freeman
04-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Boat Us Membership Card And Cell Phone With Speed Dial To Their Number.

gcarter
04-06-2008, 12:34 PM
Boat Us Membership Card And Cell Phone With Speed Dial To Their Number.
I found out the hard way when I blew a drive that's there no Boat US service here on the Harris chain.
Had to ask for a tow from a 'toon boat.

Team Jefe
04-07-2008, 12:09 PM
I actually cary a full tool box...of course I have a little more room than a classic (yes Bob I can read...and yes there is always a TOOL in my boat).

I too carry a leatherman...actually I carry Poodle's Leatherman. Plus other "Multi" type tools are good, cresent wrenches, vise grips, channel locks, etc.

And without question Duct Tape, Electrical tape and Zip ties ARE TOOLS.

The cell phone with TowBoatUS speed dial has saved my bacon on more than one occasion