PDA

View Full Version : I bought an 11' boston whaler for my son.

fasttrucker
03-27-2008, 01:44 PM
He is turning 12 this year :happy_bi:so I bought a 1977 11ft boston whaler with no motor or trailer for $ 927.00.I bought a 2008 14ft trailer for $475.Plus tax and tags came to $678.50.The boat is the tender model and I would like to add the bench seat that goes across the middle.Anyone know where to get that?Also I need a 9.9,8 or 15 hp short shaft outboard cheap.

catch 22
03-27-2008, 02:00 PM
I have 20hp 20'' shaft, But that might even be to fast for YOU.:wink::nilly:

hardcrab
03-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Do an e-bay search for Boston Whaler - there are sveral suppiers for replacement seats / panels / hardware

BUIZILLA
03-27-2008, 03:18 PM
I have 20hp 20'' shaft, But that might even be to fast for YOU.:wink::nilly: :angel: :biggrin: :D :D

Ed Donnelly
03-27-2008, 03:21 PM
The 20 hp sounds about right for a 12 yr old

If you were 12 and it was for you, what hp would you want? ..Ed

Tony
03-27-2008, 05:37 PM
"Boston Whalers...can't flip 'em!"

:beer:

hardcrab
03-27-2008, 06:03 PM
If I recall, the 13' Whalers were sold with Johnson 33 HP motors.
:lifeprese:

wannabe
03-27-2008, 07:07 PM
Good luck finding a 9.9 h.p. cheap. I looked for a two stroke for my kids inflatable on ebay last fall and was amazed of the prices they were getting for twenty year old 9.9 h.p. outboards. Nice ones would bring a grand. I found a brand new yamaha for $1800 with two year warranty.

BUIZILLA
03-27-2008, 07:07 PM
:beer: oh yeah it can.... put a 65hp Merc on the back and hang on...

handfulz28
03-27-2008, 07:38 PM

Heck, all it took for my buddy's brother was 40hp on a 13'....twice.
The nice thing is with a few friends you can drag it back to the beach, flip it over, pull the plugs to dry it out some and it might even fire up to get back home. :propeller:

That 13' w/40hp could pull up a fat slalom skier with two on board. The prop torque was strong enough that with only two people, both had to sit on the right side at full throttle to keep it level. Trim/tilt on that thing was bad @ss. :cool:

Lenny
03-27-2008, 09:12 PM

I had an 80-ish 11' SPORT, bench back, side console etc, with a 50 MERC short shaft. (3 cyl)

You can sure get close :eek: :eek: :eek:

REALLY close

glashole
03-27-2008, 10:29 PM
after a few too many we were sitting on the dock in the marina and decided we should all stand on the side of a 16ft whaler to let water into the boat (owner was talking about the unsinkability etc....) :bonk:

we could barely get the side or back of the boat low enough for the water to come in with about 4 of us on it (the edge)

so we decided it would be a good idea to untie the boat from the dock so we could get the side lower into the water in order to fill the boat up faster and add couple more people on the side

anyways as we got more and more water into it - the one side we were standing on went way down and the entire boat rolled right over on top of us :doh:

needless to say it was a lot harder to roll back over the other way so we had to drag it around the marina to the boat launch where we could hoist it up etc...

anyways

the moral is add stupidity and alcohol and you can pretty much flip anything

mrfixxall
03-27-2008, 11:01 PM
He is turning 12 this year :happy_bi:so I bought a 1977 11ft boston whaler with no motor or trailer for $ 927.00.I bought a 2008 14ft trailer for $475.Plus tax and tags came to $678.50.The boat is the tender model and I would like to add the bench seat that goes across the middle.Anyone know where to get that?Also I need a 9.9,8 or 15 hp short shaft outboard cheap.

Also I need a 9.9,8 or 15 hp short shaft outboard cheap

I have a 15 hp merc $650.00obo

EricG
03-28-2008, 10:06 AM
oh yeah it can.... put a 65hp Merc on the back and hang on...

Yup...except mine was a 65HP Evinrude with good ol' fashion cable steering...:wink:

Put that motor in the outer most trim hole and it became and unguided missle...:eek!:

Congrats to your Son on his new vessel...can't go wrong with a whaler.

EG

Marlin275
03-28-2008, 10:17 AM
That 13' w/40hp could pull up a fat slalom skier with two on board. :

On the older ones if you break the hull skin the foam takes on water like a sponge and they become waterlogged.

fasttrucker
03-28-2008, 12:05 PM
On the older ones if you break the hull skin the foam takes on water like a sponge and they become waterlogged.
OK,I did not check for waterlogging:doh:this boat needs some work.He had painted it with all-grip? bottom is not painted,but has a few barnicales that I need to scrape off.Then buff out the bottom.Wax/polish the sides and take off the wood hatchs.The hatch in the front is broken in two,but I think I can re-glue?looks like teak?They look really faded.
Jim,Your right too fast for me!but not for my son.:angel: Hardcrab,will check e-bay,thanks.:crossfing:
Tony I think it will be a safe boat for the North East River,As long as that crazy Donzi guy watches where he is going!:eek:
Mr. Fix-it is your 15 hp merc a short shaft 15inch model?Ill pm you.:yes:

Forrest
04-02-2008, 04:31 PM
I still have and use my old mid-70's 11-foot-something Boston Whaler with a mid-'80s 20 HP Johnson. I've looked high and low for a replacement wood kit for it, but all I can find are kits for the 13 Whaler and those are a little pricey as well. Mine has all the original pieces, but a few pieces of wood where the console mounts to the floor are starting to rot. At this point, I figure I may just buy some pieces of mahogany and use the original pieces for a template - that is when I ever get around to it. Anyway, that boat is a load of fun. When we use it, we literally take it anywhere where water will float her - which is far more places than any other boat that I've ever had. Put a 6-gal tank up in the bow for ballast and you are good for all day and maybe more. Just make sure that your steering cables are good and adjusted right. It ain't no fun to try to fix the old pulley cable system out in the water. Most of all, I know that your son will have a blast with that little Whaler, and if you borrow it from him, you will have a blast too!

I'll see if I can find a picture or two.

fasttrucker
04-04-2008, 12:25 PM
I still have and use my old mid-70's 11-foot-something Boston Whaler with a mid-'80s 20 HP Johnson. I've looked high and low for a replacement wood kit for it, but all I can find are kits for the 13 Whaler and those are a little pricey as well. Mine has all the original pieces, but a few pieces of wood where the console mounts to the floor are starting to rot. At this point, I figure I may just buy some pieces of mahogany and use the original pieces for a template - that is when I ever get around to it. Anyway, that boat is a load of fun. When we use it, we literally take it anywhere where water will float her - which is far more places than any other boat that I've ever had. Put a 6-gal tank up in the bow for ballast and you are good for all day and maybe more. Just make sure that your steering cables are good and adjusted right. It ain't no fun to try to fix the old pulley cable system out in the water. Most of all, I know that your son will have a blast with that little Whaler, and if you borrow it from him, you will have a blast too!
I'll see if I can find a picture or two.
Iam having a mahogany seat made at wooden boat restortations here in md,$175.00 will post pictures.(getting boat back tues)I had the hatches made out of starboard.Picking them up 4/14/08.Getting fiberglass work done on the transom.Cracked at the lifting rings also on the 14th.Getting 15 merc outboard. tiller model boat so no steering cables to worry about.Ordering cover $210.Custom for whaler.Did not order yet checking around on that.Looks like Iam spending over $3,000. on this project.:eek:......So I should not have done this.But a new boat is $10,000.:confused: