PDA

View Full Version : Bayfront or Blackpoint?

handfulz28
03-26-2008, 10:37 PM
I'm thinking of bringing the boat down south on Saturday. I want to take the kids to Homestead Saturday morning since a good friend is chief engineer on a Daytona Prototype. After watching the Rolex practice I'd like to launch out of one or the other. No specific plans or destination, and no local knowledge other than charts/GPS.

Would some of the locals share info/opinions on whether one ramp is more preferable for my 311?

Thanks,
Michael

DonziFreak
03-26-2008, 11:09 PM
Well, I launch out of Crandon Park down in Virginia Key, almost next to downtown. It's a busy ramp, but works really well. The only thing I can say tho is to be careful in the bay, we have a lot of shallow spots and it can be a little tricky at times. Just keep your eyes peeled and you should be fine!

Df

fegettes
03-27-2008, 03:39 AM
I live and work in Homestead, and I have been to Blackpoint on many occasions to go to the bar/restaurant, and to watch the festivities at the ramp. The ramps are very nice and the parking is good too. But, I have never launched from there. I have launched from Bayfront and prefer it over Blackpoint, it is nice also. I mainly launch from Pennekamp down in Key Largo. They also have a good ramp and it is a good central location to many destinations, plus I have the yearly State Park Pass.

Steve

Johntrip
03-28-2008, 12:14 PM
I launch from Blackpoint regularly being that its only a few miles from the house. Bayfront is three times as far so its been a few years since I've used that ramp. Couple things I can tell ya about Blackpoint if you decide to go there is go pretty early 10:00 ish so you don't have to wait in line. The earlier you go the better parking spot you'll have also. You'll have to park far away otherwise. When your coming back you want to avoid the rush (5:00 - 6:30)ish. Its gets crazy sometimes.... Its early and the seasons just starting so you may be ok but the general concensus is theirs way to many boats and not enough ramps in this here neck of the woods. With fuel prices the way they are maybe some boats will stay parked..?? Anyway good luck and let us know how it went..... Johntrip

Cuda
03-28-2008, 04:50 PM
I've used Blackpoint before, and it was a fine launch. Started and ended the very best day on the water, I ever had.:cool:

handfulz28
03-30-2008, 08:04 AM
Thanks guys for the info.

Turns out we were all sick this week. I was walking death on friday, the GF stayed in bed all day Saturday and the kids sound like they'll be ok for school tomorrow.