PDA

View Full Version : The old Hornet returns to Naples Bay!

AIRGRADY
03-26-2008, 10:39 AM
The “Paperweight” is back in the water tearing up the Naples/Marco Island waterways again! I never thought a stupid, antique hunk of fiberglass could bring such a smile to so many people, myself included. The big block is running fine and purring like a kitten. The old Hornet turns heads everywhere she goes and the DONZI community is always sure to wave with approval. The last couple of weekends I’ve run across a beautiful yellow 22 and a gorgeous dark blue 18, friendly waves and smiles are always exchanged.
The local tourist sunset boats loaded with sightseers and shell hunters sure do get a kick out of us jumping their wake, we know this because of all the flash bulbs popping and the cheers.
It is great to be back boating again and representing the Donzi family. I hope to keep her running this well forever since the smile on my face is becoming permanent!

JeffH
03-26-2008, 10:46 AM
Any pics of the Hornet?

AIRGRADY
03-26-2008, 12:07 PM
There are pictures in the Registry all buffed out and gleaming.
O'Donnell, Grady

JeffH
03-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Nice! A true original..and I dig the seats.

chappy
03-26-2008, 01:28 PM
http://www.donzi.net/hull.cfm?id=339
:thumbsup:

AIRGRADY
03-26-2008, 01:50 PM
Thank you for the kind words. I dig the seats also.
Nice to have a boat that is rare and quite a conversation piece. My only gripe is its usually guys who want to talk about the boat, chicks are indifferent, "It looks old" "Wow, its loud", until they go for a ride, then they fall in love, with the boat that is.
:(

WA-LO
03-26-2008, 04:42 PM
What a great original boat, I have a 70 v-drive also had it
forever, never ceases to turn heads enjoy.

John Shahbas / WA-LO:eek!:

smokediver
03-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Nice to see you back ! I have the dark blue 18 and Charles aka need for speed has the yellow 22 ... see you at the beach ! john:yes:

BigGrizzly
03-27-2008, 09:32 AM
Good to have you back!!!

senna
03-29-2008, 11:56 AM
Hello all,

This is Patrick, Gradys bro. I have been lucky enough to be on a few rides in the Hornet and It really does turn heads (at start up, under bridges and buzzing tourist boats and every where else). If you ever go out in it you will need sunglasses to protect your eyes from Grady's sh*t eating grin!!

Patrick

P.S. My neighbors really love it when he drops me off at my condo around midnight

BUIZILLA
03-29-2008, 12:20 PM
I don't know HOW I ever missed this boat before... really cool, would love to ride over some day and check it out !! same white/lion's blue as my Critter... i've got a perfect 427 tall deck bare block if you ever get froggy to make it a period correct 482 :cool:

AIRGRADY
03-31-2008, 09:22 AM
The previous owner I purchased the boat from stated the engine was a 427. Madpoodle was kind enough to run the numbers and the original motor was a 454. I proceeded to grenade that engine at the Sanford event a LOOOONG time ago. I still have the original block but am now running a new gen6 454 with the biggest cam I could run on for wet exhaust.

Thanks again for all the kind words as I do love my DONZI!

Grady

P.S. My brothers neighbors HATE this boat when we come "camming" thru his canal to the condo on late nights. Its really funny to see the condo lights turn on and people walk out to the lanais to see what is making all that racket!
ITS THAT DAMN DONZI!

AIRGRADY
04-01-2008, 09:11 AM
The automotive crate motor did not last long. Full of soft parts, i.e. valves, pushrods, guides, etc. If there is a weak link I WILL FIND IT!!!!! Did a crap load of head work, milled and installed every high dollar valve, spring, pushrod etc I could find to compliment the cam, installed a comp roller cam with the following specs "286 294 226 234 .591 .601 112°" Dart Merlin intake with brass water passages, a new 800 Holley double pumper, she isn't a fan of idling but she loves anything over 3200 rpm. I've put a rev limiter at 5000rpm and can bump it at WOT even after having the prop tweaked to the most aggressive pitch she can handle.

FWIW I think she sounds BETTER now! My brothers neighbors, on the other hand, dont agree!

Are there any Naples/ Ft. Myers / Marco gatherings? A run from Naples to Marco/Goodland is always a nice ride if anyone wants to get together and terrorize the waterways!